Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will be unused for an extended period, Zappi advice required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to wake the car today for only the second time during this trip because my Go Faster plan expires next week before we are back and although it seems that 'leaving alone' often carries over current rates, we will be collecting a second EV in a couple of weeks & charging more overnight so I prefer to lock in 5p for at least 5 hours per night rather than risk 7.5p. On that basis I instigated the switch to Intelligent Octopus and it is set up now.

The Tesla app currently showed a total 4% SOC drop when the app started (black ghosted car image took a long time to revert to the correct colour), However as part of the IO config I had to do two brief setup test charges and will try their smart charge tonight so have moved the slider from 50% to 85% (1% more than at present). This makes any further SOC monitoring when I return to the UK irrelevant.

Overall I must say how impressed the lengthy plug-in sleep has been - checking against the Zappi app, solar inverter daily report and also the recent Octopus half hourly bill - there is no evidence anywhere that the car has drawn power from the grid. The house has been averaging the same background trickle (fridge/freezer?) as it always does when the car is unplugged and nobody is home overnight.

I would be very surprised if any other current EV manufacturer has battery management on a par with Tesla. Not using any other monitoring apps or software & not checking the app does suggest the car reverts to a deep sleep state

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
After turning off sentry mode at home, my M3 no longer draws power every hour. I assume it still wakes up to do a system check every hour and would top up the battery with charge point power if needed if the Zappi was on Eco or Fast mode but it's quite a faff using those if they interfere with the timed boost overnight. Probably better just to rely on Zappi Eco+ timed boosts overnight and set car to precondition in advance of a journey to warm up the battery.