Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will only charge at 28 amp max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any input appreciated. I have older classic S with normal max charging at home is at 8 kw 32 amp at 240V. Now it can only charge at 7kw 28 amp and 238/240 V. No issue with DC charging. The charger being the problem has been ruled out since I can charge another car with no issue. Also, I've tried several Level 2 charger in town and it will not charge. The charge port was recently replaced. I've set up an appointment next week. Maybe others had similar issue and fixed.

Last edited:
Any input appreciated. I have older classic S with normal max charging at home is at 8 kw 32 amp at 240V. Now it can only charge at 7kw 28 amp and 238/240 V. No issue with DC charging. The charger being the problem has been ruled out since I can charge another car with no issue. Also, I've tried several Level 2 charger in town and it will not charge. The charge port was recently replaced. I've set up an appointment next week. Maybe others had similar issue and fixed.
If voltage drops too low during charging, it indicates a bad/loose/hot connection somewhere in the circuit. (Breaker panel, on board charger, charge port, cables, etc...)
It auto adjusts the amperage to avoid a fire.

My onboard charger half failed and was charging 24 amps. No voltage drop. Had to replace in board charger.