Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will only let me raise but not lower car in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
It says "Selected level not allowed, unable to adjust height" for every setting, but it let me put it in very high. So now it's probably geotagged this location for very high, which is not what I wanted. What gives?

It says "Selected level not allowed, unable to adjust height" for every setting, but it let me put it in very high. So now it's probably geotagged this location for very high, which is not what I wanted. What gives?

Close the driver's door. :)

I just had the same thing happen and, for me, it would not let me lower until I closed the door.

Mike

Ugh, that's it.. 2 different rules for raising and lowering. Plus I have to remember to slam the front door.

LOL - I seldom manually raise and lower the car but had to raise it to Very High and put it in JACK mode the other day to change my wheels. I must have pressed the damn screen button 10 times (definition of insanity, right?) trying to get it to lower until it occurred to me to try closing the door. It could prompt you to close the door...

I just chuckled at myself...

I learned that one the hard way as well. And like you, I chuckled that with all the space of the 17" and the instrument cluster, the car couldn't be programmed to actually tell you WHY the selected level was unavailable.
That is a frustration I've had a few times, some controls tell you what to do to enable them (eg. shifting in to drive tells you to put your foot on the brake) others are just grey. I spent quite a while the other day trying to get my wipers in to "service mode" before I discovered that I had to turn them to "off" first (they live on auto). Same with the suspension, a few times I've wanted to adjust that while parked, and had to fight to guess at what combination of things were needed.

My suggestion to Tesla would be that any control that's greyed out, if touched, should pop up a box explaining what you need to do to use that control.

Tesla has changed the behavior of manually controlling the suspension height over the last few versions of FW. The last few versions, I've noticed that you can raise but not lower the car without all doors closed. I guess they assume if the door is still open, you've probably got a limb or two hanging out the door (always true for me, since I'm just reaching-in to change the setting) that could get crushed. I think it's a good move, but as others have pointed out, a message to close the door would be a lot more helpful.