TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car without AP tried to correct out of lane?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by topspin4hand, Apr 14, 2018.

1. topspin4hand

topspin4hand Member

I have an AP2 Model S that I purchased new in May 2017. I do not have autopilot activated. A couple weeks ago I was driving on the highway and a tractor trailer was in the lane to my right when all of a sudden, I got a warning and the car began to steer to my left. The truck was not coming into my lane at all. Fortunately, I had a firm grip on the steering wheel and forced the car to stay in my lane but I thought it was an odd occurrence. Again, I do not have autopilot activated on my car. Any ideas what happened?

2. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

There is supposed to be a side collision warning and mitigation functionality, based on the side looking ultrasound. Since it's a safety tech, it would be on all cars, whether or not you bought the AP convenience features.

The incident description would fit with it activating. I haven't read of it generating a false alarm like you've described before though. You didn't see anything of what the alert said?

3. topspin4hand

topspin4hand Member

I was not able to see any warning/alert. I heard the sound and out of my periphery noticed something on the dashboard monitor. Honestly, this is good technology. I tell my wife that the "red car alert" you get when you're approaching a vehicle in front of you at too great a speed has possibly saved me from tapping someone on at least 2 occasions. I was just curious about what happened.

4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

sometimes sonic booms from engine sounds (especially motorcycles and semi trucks) can falsely trigger ultrasonic-based side collision alerts.

5. topspin4hand

topspin4hand Member

I can see that possibility. The more the reason that AP users should keep their hands on the wheel. The car corrected the perceived danger but a strong grip on the steering wheel prevented the car from leaving the lane.