Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car without AP tried to correct out of lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AP2 Model S that I purchased new in May 2017. I do not have autopilot activated. A couple weeks ago I was driving on the highway and a tractor trailer was in the lane to my right when all of a sudden, I got a warning and the car began to steer to my left. The truck was not coming into my lane at all. Fortunately, I had a firm grip on the steering wheel and forced the car to stay in my lane but I thought it was an odd occurrence. Again, I do not have autopilot activated on my car. Any ideas what happened?

There is supposed to be a side collision warning and mitigation functionality, based on the side looking ultrasound. Since it's a safety tech, it would be on all cars, whether or not you bought the AP convenience features.

The incident description would fit with it activating. I haven't read of it generating a false alarm like you've described before though. You didn't see anything of what the alert said?

I was not able to see any warning/alert. I heard the sound and out of my periphery noticed something on the dashboard monitor. Honestly, this is good technology. I tell my wife that the "red car alert" you get when you're approaching a vehicle in front of you at too great a speed has possibly saved me from tapping someone on at least 2 occasions. I was just curious about what happened.

There is supposed to be a side collision warning and mitigation functionality, based on the side looking ultrasound. Since it's a safety tech, it would be on all cars, whether or not you bought the AP convenience features.

The incident description would fit with it activating. I haven't read of it generating a false alarm like you've described before though. You didn't see anything of what the alert said?