Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t sleep, hot rearview camera possibly causing 12 V battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could well be that Tesla has fixed this issue remotely. They have the capability to check on the health of your car and send updates to effect a fix.

On a few occasions I have called Tesla regarding issues I have noted. They were able to fix it remotely, and I did not need to take it in for the service.

Be careful installing 3rd party software, as while those can often provide additional capabilities, they can also contaminate your system, causing other problems.
Well, he did send a Firmware REINSTALL Command to the car, and I did reinstall the software, but the roblem persists after the install. My ext experiment is to remove my two third party apps (Of which I have been using for years) .... STATS PP , and Home Assistant with Tesla Custom Integration. If any of you are HOME ASSISTANT users, this Tesla Integration is AMAZING! I use Home Assistant for controlling everything in the house including HVAC, Telsa Controls, Solar Panel System Monitor/Controls etc.

Update : Thu 11 AM
So I changed my Tesla Account PW; Disconnected any and ALL Apps (Including TESLA) ... and let the vehicle sit over night un touched / unbothered.
And yet the backup CAMERA is still 99 Degrees......So the vehicle, is still not going to sleep. Not sure whst to try next, TESLA Remote Service Closed my ticket claiming that the problem wa remotely solved... And it wqs not. Back to more research I guess.
~RandomPlanet

WOW 124.1 degrees?... this cant be good... So I assume you got a replacement Model X, and that it does not have the NO SLEEP issue? The Tesla senior tech was in the shop where he personally inspected several model X Rear Cameras and reported 2 of the 3 he checked were HOT, and that it may be normal.?? But he assured me that my Drain Percentage was NOT to bad, I tend to questions that. BTW: The reason it had been in the shop this last time was because it had become a BRICK..... Had a new 12v Battery installed last OCT (2022) .. and on christmas EVE, the car was dead as a doornail... I pulled the 12v battery, and did a full diconnect.... The car would never come back to life... Had it towed where it sat at tesla for 4 weeks..... they never gave a clear answer on HOW they fixed it........ Im determined to get to the bottom of whats going on now....... I really appreciate your quick reply. We as TESLA Community are great assets for each of all of us.
~RandomPlanet

I replaced the Model X with a 2023 Model Y. No sleep issues with both our Plaid Model S and Model Y. I’m back to using TeslaFi and Stats app with no issues on both cars. Never experienced hot rear camera at home and high phantom drain which are symptoms of the car always idling.

You may want to ask Tesla Service if the car never sleeps and the rear camera is on at home will that cause a premature battery failure. They can remotely check it. I suspect this is a Model X issue and many owners may never check if the rearview camera is hot.

Something isn’t right if you had to prematurely replace the battery. I’m suspecting it drained it from having the camera on all the time. Or can it be a symptom of a HV battery about to go bad. Our Model X had over 48,000 miles and battery degradation was approximately only 3% with no indication that it was about to fail. This is a 2019 Raven. There was another 2020 Raven that was towed to the service center with a dead HV battery when I was removing all our belongings from our flooded Model X.

Definitely turn off access from all third party apps since Tesla service will not troubleshoot your always idling issue. Besides, that’s one way to rule out if it’s a third party app constantly polling your car not allowing it to sleep. They may say the phantom drain is high but “within specs” but they cannot claim that an always idling car is normal. Only touch the rearview camera to see if it’s warm or hot. Don’t use the Tesla app since that will wake up the car. If you do and the app responds quickly without indicating how long since it’s been connected then it’s idling and that’s not normal.

I had this issue for a couple of years on and off and never was solved but something is definitely wrong. Good luck and report back since I’m curious on what the fix is.

Update : Thu 11 AM
So I changed my Tesla Account PW; Disconnected any and ALL Apps (Including TESLA) ... and let the vehicle sit over night un touched / unbothered.
And yet the backup CAMERA is still 99 Degrees......So the vehicle, is still not going to sleep. Not sure whst to try next, TESLA Remote Service Closed my ticket claiming that the problem wa remotely solved... And it wqs not. Back to more research I guess.
~RandomPlanet
Same happened to me. They will close the ticket if you mention third party apps. Make sure you don’t.

You need to reopen ticket and they need to explain why the car is always idling. That is not normal. They can remotely see if the car is idling for at least several days. Then have them explain why it’s always idling.

Not only is my rear camera warm, but my side repeaters and too ultrasonic sensor is warm too. My car never sleeps either. Will try disabling scheduled departure.
1688172577681.jpg
1688172556662.jpg
1688172537355.jpg
1688172667499.jpg

Attachments

• 1688172621848.jpg
    1688172621848.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 17