Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t sleep, hot rearview camera possibly causing 12 V battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Performance Raven that no longer sleeps. I have tried resetting the car multiple times. The car is only 17 months old and I already had to replace the 12 Volt battery a month ago. The battery failed with no warnings.

I believe the battery failing early is due to the rearview camera being on constantly when parked in the garage. For some reason it’s getting hot (122 degrees). The car rarely sleeps now and yes I’ve checked the following:
  • Reset Tesla password, no third party apps enabled
  • Summons standby turned off
  • Cabin overheat protection turned off
  • Sentry Mode set to exclude home
    • Turned off Sentry off completely also, didn’t help
  • Air conditioning off
  • Range Mode off
  • Tested unplugged from charger overnight, same issues, camera hot, intermittent to no sleep
  • Checked USB DashCam (formatted drive and also changed)
Please check your rearview camera and see if its hot to the touch. Strangely enough, after driving I check the camera and its cold but while parked in the garage (idling) the camera gets hot and the car won’t sleep. This seemed to have gotten worst with 2020.44, although I have had this issue before. I believe this is what is eventually draining the 12 V battery. I can’t imagine why the camera is enabled with sentry off.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I am on 2020.44 and just checked temperature of the rear camera with an IR thermometer. Temperature at 88F after ~15 minutes from completing a drive. I will check again in 30 minutes.

30 minutes later.... temperature is now 64F, approximately same temperature as my garage.

Last edited:
I am on 2020.44 and just checked temperature of the rear camera with an IR thermometer. Temperature at 88F after ~15 minutes from completing a drive. I will check again in 30 minutes.

30 minutes later.... temperature is now 64F, approximately same temperature as my garage.

Thanks for the reply. So then your car is sleeping if the cameras are at room temp.

I just don’t understand why the cameras are still hot when the car is idling. Sentry mode is off but the cameras are still on since they are hot. I checked all cameras and the front are reading 88 to 90 degrees, repeaters and pilar cameras are at room temp. I don’t understand the use case for the cameras being on and the car won’t sleep. I lost 2% battery range overnight (80% down to 78%). This can’t be god for the life of the 12V battery.

9F84EDD6-76D8-4257-B49D-855954F2FF19.jpeg

I've just checked my rear camera, parked outside, car has been asleep overnight without charging. Image is with FLIR camera, rear camera is warmer than surrounding so likely not off, you can compare to side repeater that is deffinitely not warm. This is a July 2020 car with 2020.40.8 firmware

Attachments

• 2020-11-14 10.30.54.jpg
    2020-11-14 10.30.54.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 2020-11-14 10.30.46.jpg
    2020-11-14 10.30.46.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Luisito
That looked like a browser that had the red screen, not the nav screen of the car - the nav bar had “teslamotors.com”. Their magic box is probably just a WiFi access point that hijacks DNS resolution. If you type teslamotors.com into a browser you get redirected to Tesla.com. They didn’t, so they just captured teslamotors.com and pointed it at their own web server (could be on the device). There is probably some slight-of-hand in the video to launch the browser. I don’t think the Model S launches a browser when you navigate. Unless they duplicated your home WiFi security or you knowingly connected to unsecured WiFi, the DNS hijacking wouldn’t work. Unless they are essentially running a Stingray, a bogus cell tower. Not likely, though. The WiFi trick is more likely.

Thanks for the tip fr100. So last night I turned off dash cam and disconnected my USB SSD. This morning I checked again and the cameras are still running. Current temp is 74 degrees in the garage and the rearview camera was 104 and front cameras 98 degrees.

So apparently, the cameras seem to run all the time as long as the car is not asleep regardless of USB drive (strange).

My car is not sleeping and I lost another 6 miles of range since last nights charge.

So last night I turned off dash cam and disconnected my USB SSD. This morning I checked again and the cameras are still running. Current temp is 74 degrees in the garage and the rearview camera was 104 and front cameras 98 degrees.

So apparently, the cameras seem to run all the time as long as the car is not asleep regardless of USB drive (strange).
Maybe try a reboot / power off cycle now that the dash camera is off and SSD removed?

Make sure the Tesla mobile app is killed on you phone.

Yes, I made sure its been terminated on my phone by habit. The car hasn’t slept since the 7th of November. The only thing different I did that day was set a scheduled departure for a long trip at 100%. Ever since it has not slept. Scheduled charging has been off ever since.

On the 21st of October I did replace my 12 Volt battery with an Ohmmu battery but it’s been sleeping until the 7th, so I’m ruling out the battery.

Yes, I made sure its been terminated on my phone by habit. The car hasn’t slept since the 7th of November. The only thing different I did that day was set a scheduled departure for a long trip at 100%. Ever since it has not slept. Scheduled charging has been off ever since.

On the 21st of October I did replace my 12 Volt battery with an Ohmmu battery but it’s been sleeping until the 7th, so I’m ruling out the battery.

ok. If that’s when it started, I would suggest trying one thing.

set it to start scheduled charging (not departure charging) at a particular time. 10pm for example. Let it run a cycle. Reboot. Then turn off scheduled charging if you don’t want it.

the first time I set a departure time my car acted funny.