Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t sleep, hot rearview camera possibly causing 12 V battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok. If that’s when it started, I would suggest trying one thing.

set it to start scheduled charging (not departure charging) at a particular time. 10pm for example. Let it run a cycle. Reboot. Then turn off scheduled charging if you don’t want it.

the first time I set a departure time my car acted funny.

Great tip! I did just that last night when I used TeslaFi to backtrack when it stopped sleeping. So I set it to start charging this morning at 7:00AM to 80%. After charge completed, It did not sleep at all today, but I just now turned off scheduled charging and rebooted. I’ll report back my results.

In regards to TeslaFi, I changed my Tesla credentials so no third party apps had access. After several days it made no difference.

Thanks!

@Luisito my suggestion was a loooong shot. If it didn’t sleep after charging, it probably will not :(

is the display turning off? (Bad seat sensor of not).

might need to contact Tesla.

Appreciate the help, I’m trying everything I know of and asking if anyone else has a clue. All displays turn off as normal and the car is quiet. Just loosing range as expected when the car doesn’t sleep. I even turned off the door/window notifications (new options).

If it doesn’t sleep tonight I’ll have to contact Tesla.

@Luisito Is it possible to have Tesla look at the logs remotely and why it stays awake without taking the car in? If so, I would like to know.

Yes, they can. I will set up an appointment on the app tomorrow and request that they work it remotely. I’m hoping for the next update that’s out and try again. I lost 3% since yesterday’s charge, still not sleeping. This makes ten days without any sleep.

I’ll post my findings.

Reactions: tmxninja
If Tesla cannot solve the issue, you can do a complete cold boot, the same non-sleeping issue happened to my 2019 X Raven as well.
You need to remove the frunk, then disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal and the first responder loop cable.
Wait for 10 minutes or longer (I waited 30 minutes just to be sure all the transistors in the electronics to completely discharge) then reconnect the first responder loop first (must be connected first) then reconnect the 12V negative terminal back.
Reassemble the frunk and follow the screen instruction to reset the falcon wing doors.
Your car will fall asleep the way it should. Good luck.

If Tesla cannot solve the issue, you can do a complete cold boot, the same non-sleeping issue happened to my 2019 X Raven as well.
You need to remove the frunk, then disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal and the first responder loop cable.
Wait for 10 minutes or longer (I waited 30 minutes just to be sure all the transistors in the electronics to completely discharge) then reconnect the first responder loop first (must be connected first) then reconnect the 12V negative terminal back.
Reassemble the frunk and follow the screen instruction to reset the falcon wing doors.
Your car will fall asleep the way it should. Good luck.

That’s a good idea although it will be my last resort option since it’s so drastic. Keep in mind I just changed the 12 V battery on the 21st of October. I scheduled service using the app, requested mobile service since I’m 200 miles away and hopefully this can be handled remotely.

The scheduled service isn’t until the 9th of December so hopefully I’ll get some remote help from Tesla, possible software upgrade with a fix or I’ll do the “complete cold boot”.

So Wednesday morning (10:30), the day after scheduling service, the car finally slept for the first time in 12 days. All cameras are cool and off not wasting energy. I’m glad I didn’t have to take the drastic measure of disconnecting the battery to perform a cold boot.

I suspect Tesla Mobile service remotely did something since they texted me asking for more details but they didn’t respond back with the fix. I also later got the 2020.44.15 update. She’s been sleeping like a baby and no more phantom drain or hot cameras. I’m hoping this doesn’t return. I was loosing 8 to 9 miles overnight. I’ve been monitoring for two days now.

I just wish the option to “Exclude Home” also included the dash cam turning it off completely. I’ve noticed that these cameras are operating when the car is idling which is a waste of energy.

Hi @Luisito,

When you are referring to the dash cam, I am guessing you are referring
to the TeslaCam USB implementation...
If so - The USB ports turn off after 1 1/2 minutes if you do not have Sentry active...
If you have Sentry active and not excluded at home the TeslaCam will continue
to record.
So, if you double check the Sentry at home setting - You might be able to turn off
the TeslaCam while at home...

Good luck,

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: Luisito
Hi @Luisito,

When you are referring to the dash cam, I am guessing you are referring
to the TeslaCam USB implementation...
If so - The USB ports turn off after 1 1/2 minutes if you do not have Sentry active...
If you have Sentry active and not excluded at home the TeslaCam will continue
to record.
So, if you double check the Sentry at home setting - You might be able to turn off
the TeslaCam while at home...

Good luck,

Shawn

That may be true in regards to the USB ports but not the cameras. I do have “Exclude Home” enabled and I also tried turning off Sentry mode completely. I even disconnected the USB drive and the cameras are still operating regardless.

If you look at the first page of this thread you will notice that I used an Infrared Thermometer to measure the temps of all cameras. The front and rearview cameras are always running when the car is idling, not in sleep mode.

I can tell when the car is in sleep mode when the temp of the cameras are at room temp. Try it out yourself and see. Let me know if yours is different.

So here’s a screenshot taken from TeslaFi that shows the last day (6th of November) where it was intermittently sleeping and waking. I disabled all access from 3rd party apps so I can troubleshoot the sleep issues.

F4B5E57F-B22C-419C-94E2-458B0301CB93.jpeg

So far the car has been sleeping normally. This morning for the first time in a while, I gave access to TeslaFi. So far the car is sleeping normally but I will keep checking to make sure TeslaFi is not contributing to the lack of sleep.

Well after turning on TeslaFi for one day, the car slept around 11 hours each day then all of a sudden it stopped sleeping. So I went back and reset my Tesla credentials and I’m no longer using TeslaFi. I’m still waiting for it to enter a sleep cycle.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have a quick question: I tried the cold boot thing today and the car alarm came up when I unplugged the high voltage battery (at the emergency/first responder loop) and then again when I plugged it back in. Is that supposed to happen?

I found a manual online that mentions first powering off the car (through the MCU); maybe I should have done that first?

@LUISTO ... Were you able to Identify the problem to teslafi , and find a permanent solution ?.
My 2020 X has not gone to sleep since I got it back from service weeks ago. Backup Camera DEFINITELY hot.
I did submit a ticket via Tesla App, and havent heard back anything from them yet. Any one else encounter this , and have a Solution ?

Thanks in advance!
~RandomPlanet

Additional info:
I just spoke with a senior Tech at tesla who was reviewing data on my car, and he concluded that everything loooks normal and that My car is draining about 2% a day...which is not IDEAL but not abnormal.... I measured the temperature on my Backup camera and got a 98 Degree reading.
In addition, running Home Assistant TESLA Integration, I see that my Model X has NOT gone into sleep more in last several weeks.
Where as my Model S has INDEED gone into sleep mode often as expected. I would appreciate anyone taking a temperature measurement of their camera in a climate controlled garage, and or letting me know what your nightly Phantom Drain is with Sentry Off / Summon Standby Off, etc.. etc..

Additional info:
I just spoke with a senior Tech at tesla who was reviewing data on my car, and he concluded that everything loooks normal and that My car is draining about 2% a day...which is not IDEAL but not abnormal.... I measured the temperature on my Backup camera and got a 98 Degree reading.
In addition, running Home Assistant TESLA Integration, I see that my Model X has NOT gone into sleep more in last several weeks.
Where as my Model S has INDEED gone into sleep mode often as expected. I would appreciate anyone taking a temperature measurement of their camera in a climate controlled garage, and or letting me know what your nightly Phantom Drain is with Sentry Off / Summon Standby Off, etc.. etc..

Hi @RandomPlanet, TeslaFi does a great job with sleep modes and not disturbing the car by waking it up. “But”, if you are having sleep issues do not use any third party apps since they may be the very culprit why your car is not sleeping. Don’t use the Tesla app either since it will wake the car up. If your backup camera is hot then your car is not sleeping. That was how I verified that it would not sleep. Opening the Tesla app immediately connecting to the vehicle validates that it’s not sleeping along with your unusual high phantom drain.

So to answer your question, no I never got Tesla to resolve the sleep issues. I turned off access to TeslaFi for several months and never turned it back on in order to rule out third party apps. Tesla service will ask you if you are using third party apps and will claim that’s the cause of your sleep issue which may be correct since you don’t know if the app developer is polling your vehicle forcing it to wake up.

So after over three months of the car constantly idling the car finally bricked. The HV battery died. Tesla ordered a new HV battery and towed the vehicle to the Fort Worth service center where it sat in the parking lot for over three weeks with no ETA on the battery. Then I received a call from the manager at the service center that my car was flooded and totaled from the mass flooding. I was one of 35 totaled Tesla from that service center.

I would stress getting Tesla to fix the constant idling issue. They may claim that although high a drain but not sleeping is a problem.

Here’s my temp reading in the garage.

C4DAA5CB-A96E-40C4-A5E1-EDD609049EB4.jpeg

Reactions: RandomPlanet
It could well be that Tesla has fixed this issue remotely. They have the capability to check on the health of your car and send updates to effect a fix.

On a few occasions I have called Tesla regarding issues I have noted. They were able to fix it remotely, and I did not need to take it in for the service.

Be careful installing 3rd party software, as while those can often provide additional capabilities, they can also contaminate your system, causing other problems.

Reactions: RandomPlanet
Hi @RandomPlanet, TeslaFi does a great job with sleep modes and not disturbing the car by waking it up. “But”, if you are having sleep issues do not use any third party apps since they may be the very culprit why your car is not sleeping. Don’t use the Tesla app either since it will wake the car up. If your backup camera is hot then your car is not sleeping. That was how I verified that it would not sleep. Opening the Tesla app immediately connecting to the vehicle validates that it’s not sleeping along with your unusual high phantom drain.

So to answer your question, no I never got Tesla to resolve the sleep issues. I turned off access to TeslaFi for several months and never turned it back on in order to rule out third party apps. Tesla service will ask you if you are using third party apps and will claim that’s the cause of your sleep issue which may be correct since you don’t know if the app developer is polling your vehicle forcing it to wake up.

So after over three months of the car constantly idling the car finally bricked. The HV battery died. Tesla ordered a new HV battery and towed the vehicle to the Fort Worth service center where it sat in the parking lot for over three weeks with no ETA on the battery. Then I received a call from the manager at the service center that my car was flooded and totaled from the mass flooding. I was one of 35 totaled Tesla from that service center.

I would stress getting Tesla to fix the constant idling issue. They may claim that although high a drain but not sleeping is a problem.

Here’s my temp reading in the garage.

View attachment 912647
WOW 124.1 degrees?... this cant be good... So I assume you got a replacement Model X, and that it does not have the NO SLEEP issue? The Tesla senior tech was in the shop where he personally inspected several model X Rear Cameras and reported 2 of the 3 he checked were HOT, and that it may be normal.?? But he assured me that my Drain Percentage was NOT to bad, I tend to questions that. BTW: The reason it had been in the shop this last time was because it had become a BRICK..... Had a new 12v Battery installed last OCT (2022) .. and on christmas EVE, the car was dead as a doornail... I pulled the 12v battery, and did a full diconnect.... The car would never come back to life... Had it towed where it sat at tesla for 4 weeks..... they never gave a clear answer on HOW they fixed it........ Im determined to get to the bottom of whats going on now....... I really appreciate your quick reply. We as TESLA Community are great assets for each of all of us.
~RandomPlanet