Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t stay charging with Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremyp

Jul 11, 2021
UK
Hi there

I’ve had a Model 3 for 20 months now and charge it on a Wall Connector. Had no issues

Just had solar panels installed with a Powerwall and now the car won’t stay charging. It seems to stop charging after about 30 minutes.

Has anyone else seen this or know why it’s happening? I assume the Powerwall/Gateway is telling the car to stop charging but I have no idea why!?

I even tried to set a departure time and the charge level to 100% to get it to charge but it simply went past the time without charging (even though it said charging was scheduled).

I’ve got the Powerwall charging set to Self-Powered and don’t currently have any low rate electricity set up (so it can’t be holding off until the low rate cuts in)

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

I’ve had a Model 3 for 20 months now and charge it on a Wall Connector. Had no issues

Just had solar panels installed with a Powerwall and now the car won’t stay charging. It seems to stop charging after about 30 minutes.

Has anyone else seen this or know why it’s happening? I assume the Powerwall/Gateway is telling the car to stop charging but I have no idea why!?

I even tried to set a departure time and the charge level to 100% to get it to charge but it simply went past the time without charging (even though it said charging was scheduled).

I’ve got the Powerwall charging set to Self-Powered and don’t currently have any low rate electricity set up (so it can’t be holding off until the low rate cuts in)

Thanks in advance.
(moderator note: Thread moved from model 3 section to tesla energy since it appears to be a tesla energy question to me related to solar + powerwalls)

==================================================
This is likely something "infrastructure" related, as opposed to something specific to the car.

Was your wall connector moved / re located as part of the work to install the solar + powerwall? Is the wall connector on the backup loads side, or the non backup loads side? Does the tesla app show the vehicle charging (not in the car section, but in the tesla energy section where the solar + powerwall(s) are)? If so, what speed does it show? Have you sat in the vehicle when it starts to charge and looked at voltage its charging at? Is this happening at all times, or only when testing the system off grid?

This is likely something you need to get your installer back out to take a look at. There isnt anything specific in the software for the powerwall or gateway that stops charging WHEN there is grid connection. It will only stop vehicle charging when there is no grid.