Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t take charge on airport 120V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy new year all!

Looking for some advice. The car (2022 MSLR) is parked at airport parking, plugged into 120v power. It is parked in a spot that receives full time power (not switched like other outlets).

After 15mins parked there, I got a notification that charging had stopped (I was already thru security and waiting to board at this point). I initially assumed either the power is switched, or I blew the breaker. I contacted the airport parking people, who (very graciously) went out to check on it, and sent me photos verifying my charge port is lit up dark blue and the mobile connector light is on. So it is receiving power.

When I try to tell it to start charging via the app, I am just getting the error “charging already requested, check car”.

Anyone know any way to remotely check the cars alerts so I can see what the issue is? I may put in a service ticket for a remote reset if I have to.

Any or all advice appreciated!

As an update, I turned everything off (sentry off, charge limit below current SOC) in order to allow the car to sleep for an hour as a kind of poor man’s remote reset.

To my amazement it worked. When I woke it up again with the app and raised the charge limit back up, it started charging. To be safe I’m keeping it down at 6A but so far so good. I don’t need it to charge, all I need is for it to not drain and hopefully allow me to keep sentry active. 6A seems to be doing that for me now, as long as it doesn’t get too cold!

A dark blue charge port light indicates scheduled charging.
They changed this at some point? The owner's manual for the refresh S says

Charge Port Light
• WHITE (OR LIGHT BLUE): The charge port door is open. Model S is ready to charge and the connector is not inserted, or the charge port latch is unlocked and the connector is ready to be removed.
Charging Status
Charging Instructions
• BLUE: Model S detects that a connector has been plugged in.
• BLINKING BLUE: Model S is communicating with the connector. Either Model S is preparing to charge, or a charging session is scheduled to begin at a specified future time.
• BLINKING GREEN: Charging is in progress. As Model S approaches a full charge, the frequency of the blinking slows.
• SOLID GREEN: Charging is complete.
• SOLID AMBER: The connector is not fully plugged in. Realign the connector to the charge port and insert fully.
• BLINKING AMBER: Model S is charging at a reduced current (AC charging only).
• RED: A fault is detected and charging has stopped. Check the instrument panel or touchscreen for an alert.

but another source says
BLUE - BLINKING
(normal behavior)
Model 3 and charging station are actively communicating.Wait a couple of seconds for the charge port to turn solid blue or start blinking green (charging) (a charging session is programmed for the future).
BLUE - SOLID
(action may be required)
When a connector is plugged in, the Model 3 identifies it and the charging session is set to commence at a later time. Not in the process of charging.Disable 'Scheduled Charging' or press 'Start Charging' on the touchscreen or in your mobile app if you want to charge right now. No further action is necessary if the 'Scheduled Charging' setting is used. Scheduled Charging keeps track of your location as a reminder.

Reactions: sandman1330
As in they put outlets on a 10A breaker?? Or something else? I’ve never seen this (and very much doubt you would have a code compliant install)
Can't the amperage be shared across multiple outlets, though? I know that my house has runs on 15A and 20A breakers that serve multiple outlets. If that's against code, or if code specifies something else for a commercial parking garage, then I withdraw my comment; but if one circuit has multiple outlets, and two EVs plug in and try to charge at 12A each on two different outlets on that same circuit, then presumably the breaker would trip and both cars would stop charging. Likewise if there's one EV charging and one or more other high-draw devices on the circuit. Even something that drew very little, on a 15A circuit, could trip a 15A breaker. Of course, even if this reasoning is correct, it's no guarantee that it's what happened to @sandman1330.

Can't the amperage be shared across multiple outlets, though? I know that my house has runs on 15A and 20A breakers that serve multiple outlets. If that's against code, or if code specifies something else for a commercial parking garage, then I withdraw my comment; but if one circuit has multiple outlets, and two EVs plug in and try to charge at 12A each on two different outlets on that same circuit, then presumably the breaker would trip and both cars would stop charging. Likewise if there's one EV charging and one or more other high-draw devices on the circuit. Even something that drew very little, on a 15A circuit, could trip a 15A breaker. Of course, even if this reasoning is correct, it's no guarantee that it's what happened to @sandman1330.
I will say that is one of my requests at VRBO or AirBNB. Stand alone circuit garaged. I can't ask to unplug someones garage fridge for my charge. Plugged in with all the other things one doesn't get any charge. I need very little each day to run to town or make my way up to the place to ski. Most have what I need. Really negates the need for public charging for the most part.

As a fun follow up to this, after my “poor man’s reset”, I was able to keep it charging no problem at 6A, which means I was able to keep sentry active.

Good thing, because my car was hit and run by the truck parked next to it on his way out. I have the sentry footage and was able to hand it to the police.