Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t unlock unless app is open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would never rely solely on the phone as a key - it's very convenient, but, at least with iPhones, sometimes weird stuff happens and the phone needs a full shut down and restart, or the latest update changed some of the setting you didn't know were reset, etc. So, just know you have an RFID way to enter and start you car, whether you use the card, a key fob, or a ring.

Sometimes I forget to launch the app on my iPhoneSE before getting to my car. Occasionally I can get in, but it won't let me drive and I need to launch the app. I don't think I've had a problem when the app was still running in the background.

It was nearly the opposite when I had my old iPhone 6. I almost never had to launch the app and could get in and drive away.

Simple question I can't find an answer to: Does my cell phone need to be powered on to open my car doors?

New owner '23 Tesla 3 standard. Tesla App is installed on cell, but does cell have to be powered on first to activate App and open car doors?

Simple question I can't find an answer to: Does my cell phone need to be powered on to open my car doors?

New owner '23 Tesla 3 standard. Tesla App is installed on cell, but does cell have to be powered on first to activate App and open car doors?
The cell phone needs to be on, not powered off.
You must be “logged-in” the app.
You must have Bluetooth on the cell phone so that the car can sense your presence.

See Phone Key section on the owner’s manual for all other nuances of unlocking the car using a phone: