Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t update.. anyway to find out why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

my late 2017 Model X 100D won’t update.. although I have a new performance MX on delivery in 2 days want to get the 100D working as my partner will be driving it for a couple of weeks.

I called Tesla support who said my car has failed receiving the last 2 updates. I am currently on 2019.36.2.1 which I installed early November.

my car is set to Advanced and it shows checking for updates followed by your car is up to date, I’ve also tried tapping advanced lots of times and changed to standard then back to advanced.

I’m wondering has anyone else had this before and is there a way I can find out why it’s saying I’m up to date when I’m not, my local SC can’t look at the car until March (next available appointment) and by then I won’t have this car!

I also tried going to service > Factory reset which I did yesterday and it didn’t help :(

spec: 100D MX/MCU1/AP2.5

I have a similar experience. Still on 36.2.4.
There are over 3% of users on these versions still based on Teslafi.
They always seem to have some laggers. I don’t think there is an issue yet. If ANOTHeR major version comes out and I don’t get it then I’ll be worried.

Put in a ticket about software and got a text shortly after saying they would be pushing the latest version for my car. Turned out it was 36.2.4 again. I’ll let the update go through again. I’ll leave it alone for now and we’ll see what happens.

Reactions: ChrisDUK85
Hi

my late 2017 Model X 100D won’t update.. although I have a new performance MX on delivery in 2 days want to get the 100D working as my partner will be driving it for a couple of weeks.

I called Tesla support who said my car has failed receiving the last 2 updates. I am currently on 2019.36.2.1 which I installed early November.

my car is set to Advanced and it shows checking for updates followed by your car is up to date, I’ve also tried tapping advanced lots of times and changed to standard then back to advanced.

I’m wondering has anyone else had this before and is there a way I can find out why it’s saying I’m up to date when I’m not, my local SC can’t look at the car until March (next available appointment) and by then I won’t have this car!

I also tried going to service > Factory reset which I did yesterday and it didn’t help :(

spec: 100D MX/MCU1/AP2.5

Being on 36.2.1 is not unusual. My 2019 Model S was at that level until last week. My Model X was at 40.1, so I expected the Model S to catch up. NOPE. They both undated to 40.50 (FSD Visualizations) the same night. The S installed the other updates simultaneously. I suspect that Tesla was bundling the updates rather than dribbling out smaller ones so most could get 40.50 as quickly as possible.

I’ve noticed similar findings. Software updates are always variable but I’ve found for the past 4-5 updates my 2017 FSD MX lags considerably behind my late 2018 M3 that doesn’t have FSD nor AP. Both are set to advanced and plugged in. My MX seems to lag a week or two.

Hope it’s temporary, but it’s consistent enough that I’ve called in to make sure my MX was tagged as FSD internally. Even now, my M3 sits updated as my MX sits at 40.2.3 (bottom 0.2% but likely looped in with 40.2.1 which ~14%). Not sure if it’s an issue with HW2.5/MCU1 pairing but it sounds like others with my config are getting updates earlier in the cycle.

My 3, new in May '19 got updates just fine through June. Then it didn't get any for two months; I created a ticket via app about it; cancelled it prior to appt and a update got pushed to me in early August - then no updates again for two months. Created a ticket again - but this time got a text message saying that my car was up to date. I had a mobile tech out for an unrelated issue and asked him to update the software; after some digging around he found that my car was in "updates restricted" mode. He didn't know what that meant but told me to create a ticket that would route the request to a SC, i.e. not a mobile tech and have them look at it. So I made up some issue and went in a week later.

I explained that the mobile tech said to bring it in and the issue. As the day progressed I got notified of several updates being applied. When I picked up the car still later, tech said that there was some fault in a charging component and that that had put me in updates restricted mode. There was no way for me to clear this state and I had to bring it in as I did to resolve the issue.

No notification of issue in any form. Had it not been my persistence and a little luck I'd still be on 32.2.

My general take now is that if cars like yours have gotten updates in the last month or so and you haven't - you may have an issue and you'll need to force Tesla to look at it.

Reactions: Locash
I have a 2016 Model S with AP1/MCU1 still stuck at 2019.36.2.1. About a month ago it notified me there was an update, but by the time I got around to installing it the notification went away I know my old hardware isn't likely to get many updates, but I want my new voice commands damn it :/

The Voice Command/Visualization update is 2019.40.50.x, so you are not that far behind (week 39 vs. week 40 Firmware). I know a MCU1/AP1 owner who does not have the voice updates, so you are not alone/forgotten. I understood through readings that Tesla was prioritizing AP3 cars for new Visualizations and voice commands by year end. The voice commands on my X and S are "dicey" at best. There seems to be some interaction with the TeslaCam/Sentry Fob and the voice commands. I really don't understand why (I'll leave that to Tesla), but I do know by removing my TeslaCam FOB and replacing it with an newly formatted one, some of the voice commands work better -- albeit for a while. It appears that Tesla has "slowed" the voice command updates until some of the issues are resolved.

All that said, a little patience is needed. Just make sure your Tesla is on WiFi when parked at home and Smart Update is turned on. Good Luck.

Reactions: takedownca