Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t wake up from app. Have to open door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car will not wake up with the app. It just stays saying “waking up”. If I have the app open and get in the car, it will connect about 10 seconds after the screen comes on. Also, the screen takes 5-10 seconds to turn on after opening the door.
Anyone have a recommendation for a fix?

This connection problem happens to a lot of us.
It doesn't matter which software version you're on. I bought my car in dec 2018 and I always had it.
The system is just not reliable.
The only way i found to be able to reliably connect to the car is to leave the sentry mode on, but of course it burns energy.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Waking up the car from the app requires that the app talk to a Tesla server on the internet, and that server talking to the car. If the car is sleeping, it sends an SMS to it. cellular signal is the important aspect here so the SMS reaches the car.
I've seen people having problems when they were home with very poor wifi signal, e.g. the wifi works but it's very low signal. I believe these people have disconnected their wifi and things have been better since. I don't quite understand since it's suposed to take a SMS to wake the car, but it'S something you can look into.

Waking up the car from the app requires that the app talk to a Tesla server on the internet, and that server talking to the car. If the car is sleeping, it sends an SMS to it. cellular signal is the important aspect here so the SMS reaches the car.
I've seen people having problems when they were home with very poor wifi signal, e.g. the wifi works but it's very low signal. I believe these people have disconnected their wifi and things have been better since. I don't quite understand since it's suposed to take a SMS to wake the car, but it'S something you can look into.

That's correct, the Tesla server uses cellular (SMS), not WiFi, to contact the car. The car then tries to connect to WiFi to communicate with the server, but will use cellular if WiFi isn't available (except for certain operations). That's why cellular coverage is important.

I don't know for sure, but I assume it's done this way for security, since allowing inbound network connections to the car via WiFi would make it more vulnerable to hacking.

Sentry mode means your car never falls asleep. It doesn't need waking with an SMS, it can be talked to directly via wifi or other. Along with the additional battery drain, which means more money spent in charging and more "cycles" on your battery, you're preventing the BMS from being able to capture good readings. Expect your estimated range to drop quicker as a result. It's just an estimate, don't worry, but expect it.