Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t wake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

My car has randomly just stopped working with the app over data or Wi-Fi.

The only way to get the car to wake is by unlocking or via Bluetooth.

Third party apps like Intelligent octopus also can’t wake the car so the car isn’t charging now.

Anything I can try to resolve? I’ve booked in a service but not really sure what to do in the meantime.

Hi all

Third party apps like Intelligent octopus also can’t wake the car so the car isn’t charging now.

Anything I can try to resolve? I’ve booked in a service but not really sure what to do in the meantime.
What have you tried so far? Hopefully, 2 button reset and/or Factory Reset from the screen...

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I tried the 2 button reset. I have not tried a factory reset just googled about this, I guess I could try this but don't want to really haha.

I am going to try power cycling? Not sure if that's just the same as 2 button reset but going to give that a shot, then wait about 30 minutes as I believe that's how long it takes for the car to be fully asleep.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I tried the 2 button reset. I have not tried a factory reset just googled about this, I guess I could try this but don't want to really haha.

I am going to try power cycling? Not sure if that's just the same as 2 button reset but going to give that a shot, then wait about 30 minutes as I believe that's how long it takes for the car to be fully asleep.
Check out the manual ;)

Check out the manual ;)
Sorry how I wrote that was poor. I know how to power cycle the car. I just don't know if there's much difference in terms of what it actually "does" to the car (e.g. if I am wasting my time with this but no harm to try it).

My main concern right now is charging the car, @Adopado, just noticed you have an Octopus link in your sig so maybe you know something about this. Intelligent Octopus is not charging the car because it can't wake it.

Obviously I know how to get round this, disable it and just tell the car to charge. I am sure I read somewhere though this gets you kicked off Intelligent Octopus do you or anyone know how strict they are about this? Really don't want to annoy Octopus.

Sorry how I wrote that was poor. I know how to power cycle the car. I just don't know if there's much difference in terms of what it actually "does" to the car (e.g. if I am wasting my time with this but no harm to try it).

My main concern right now is charging the car, @Adopado, just noticed you have an Octopus link in your sig so maybe you know something about this. Intelligent Octopus is not charging the car because it can't wake it.

Obviously I know how to get round this, disable it and just tell the car to charge. I am sure I read somewhere though this gets you kicked off Intelligent Octopus do you or anyone know how strict they are about this? Really don't want to annoy Octopus.

I just use Octopus Go so have no specific advice regarding IO I'm afraid ... however there's an existing thread on here with people who will be able to answer your question on that.

Hi all

Hi I have just had the same experience, after a year of ownership without an issue from the app waking the car ,it started a few weeks ago at home not connecting via my I/Os or android apps. After placing a call with Tesla they booked me in for a service centre visit as they could not wake it remotely . i Continued to investigate what might have change.. car placement the same , 4g connection signal the same , Wifi the same no change there.? my powerwall connectivity all good no change Connections all good. I then later in the week drove to work. Kept checking the car in the app . Hummm connectivity is working , it wakes up each time….. great it’s fixed. Drove home. Waited for the car to sleep and checked again.. nope car will not wake up. Dam! Then I remembered that at work i have sentry mode on.. ok so turned it on at home.. hum seems to wake up now. But I dont want this on at home in the garage and haven’t needed to previously. convinced it was a software issue I remembered that I took an update to 2022.12.3.16 recently and that when I checked the settings directly after the update I noticed that the setting to exclude sentry mode for home location was not ticked as I have always had so turned it on.. so I went to the car changed the setting to exclude sentry mode from home location to unticked . Then back on again after a few mins.. well not had an issue connecting at home since !!! Go figure.. sorry for the long reply but I hope this works for you it did me..

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Hi I have just had the same experience, after a year of ownership without an issue from the app waking the car ,it started a few weeks ago at home not connecting via my I/Os or android apps. After placing a call with Tesla they booked me in for a service centre visit as they could not wake it remotely . i Continued to investigate what might have change.. car placement the same , 4g connection signal the same , Wifi the same no change there.? my powerwall connectivity all good no change Connections all good. I then later in the week drove to work. Kept checking the car in the app . Hummm connectivity is working , it wakes up each time….. great it’s fixed. Drove home. Waited for the car to sleep and checked again.. nope car will not wake up. Dam! Then I remembered that at work i have sentry mode on.. ok so turned it on at home.. hum seems to wake up now. But I dont want this on at home in the garage and haven’t needed to previously. convinced it was a software issue I remembered that I took an update to 2022.12.3.16 recently and that when I checked the settings directly after the update I noticed that the setting to exclude sentry mode for home location was not ticked as I have always had so turned it on.. so I went to the car changed the setting to exclude sentry mode from home location to unticked . Then back on again after a few mins.. well not had an issue connecting at home since !!! Go figure.. sorry for the long reply but I hope this works for you it did me..
Thanks for the info and will try this next time if the issue occurs. I had the issue for about a week everything I tried would not fix it then the day before my SC visit - bam randomly started working and I haven’t had an issue since. No idea what it was and Tesla aren’t sure either.

Reactions: Turntable666
Has your car been ok since @melduk? Did you ever find out what the issue was?

Reason for asking is I have exact same issue as you were having. I’m using sentry mode on at home when wanting intelligent octopus to charge it, but other than that when the car sleeps app won’t wake it over wifi/cellular, only Bluetooth.

Has your car been ok since @melduk? Did you ever find out what the issue was?

Reason for asking is I have exact same issue as you were having. I’m using sentry mode on at home when wanting intelligent octopus to charge it, but other than that when the car sleeps app won’t wake it over wifi/cellular, only Bluetooth.
I very very occasionally have this. I force close the app, give it a minute and then it seems ok again. Not definitive, but it may be to do with app updates. I’ll pay closer attention next time it happens

Reactions: Parrog
I’m hoping it is an app update type issue as that would be simplest, although first time I was aware there was a problem was when intelligent octopus couldn’t wake the car to charge it, which I wouldn’t have thought was app related.

That said I’ve force closed, deleted it and reinstalled, logged in and out of it. Also soft booted the car, turned sentry mode on and off, all the suggestions I’ve seen really.

Another member with exact same car, car sw and app versions (2023 MY, 2023.20.9, 4.23.6) is seeing same issue, so I’m hoping for an app or car update to show up soon to shake things up.

A car slow to wake (a minute or so) is not uncommon. Its normally just the car slow to boot, local comms (wifi/lte) or Tesla server issues. If its regular, may be worth raising a service request for Tesla to see if anything is causing car to slow boot. Other than when in bluetooth range when its all handled locally, app does not wake the car other than telling Teslas servers to send the car an SMS wakeup.

As you say, it can affect IOs ability to start the charge and nothing to do with the app. It does appear to be a bit better recently and IO I think is a bit more forgiving now if car does not wake promptly. One work around, scorned upon by others and not without its side effects, is to schedule a charge start time in the car. But at what time? Too early and you start the charge ahead of IO, not really an issue (and no different to manually starting the charge in the Tesla app) as IO can correct itself mid charge, but too late and IO has finished the charge and you carry on charging to the cars charge limit.

It’s definitely not being slow, it simply not being woken by the tesla/network side after a request from either the app or octopus. Something in the chain isn’t working right, be it tesla server side, the O2 network or the car’s MCU.

Tesla service are looking into it and have pulled some data from the car. They couldn’t connect remotely to do that until I woke the car via phone key Bluetooth and it connected to wifi at home.

Yeah, could use scheduled charges, but for now I’m activating sentry mode to keep the car online on the nights it needs a charge so IO can do its stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I have this exact issue and have been doing some testing around it. I have a Model 3 and a Model Y, both running 2023.20.9. Both are in the same location and have LTE, my Model 3 will go to sleep and wake when you open the app (SMS to wake is clearly reaching the car). My Model Y will not wake and to do so has to be manually woken by unlocking/locking within Bluetooth range, or leaving Sentry on at all locations so it never sleeps.

My Model Y is only a week old so I can’t rule out it being hardware related but seeing other owners having the same issue, makes me think it’s 2023.20.9 but only affecting some cars.

For the owners who are having wake issues, are you all running 2023.20.9 and if so, I assume only since this update did it stop waking naturally?

I have put in a service request and Tesla have escalated it to the cell team. This suggests they think it’s the LTE provider and possibly an issue with the wake SMS not being received for some reason.

Tesla have told me “the wake SMS signal was not being delivered to the vehicle” and they are escalating to engineering. Can’t be exact to make a certain correlation, but this issue and the 2023.20.9 update were both around a week ago.

Reactions: Arran Sheppard
Tesla have told me “the wake SMS signal was not being delivered to the vehicle” and they are escalating to engineering. Can’t be exact to make a certain correlation, but this issue and the 2023.20.9 update were both around a week ago.
This tallies with my thoughts and Tesla escalating my SC ticket to the cell team then.

Both my M3 and MY are running 2023.20.9, M3 is fine but MY isn’t waking yet has signal, so gotta be SMS wake.