Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't automatically power off when leaving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since the last update, I have been having issues with my 2014 Model S not powering off when I exit the vehicle and leave. Everything stays on. The only way it will power off is if I open and close the drivers door 2 or 3 times. I can also go into the safety settings and power off the vehicle before exiting. Those 2 options are obviously not ideal. Has anyone else had this issue? I've heard some people say it could be the seat sensor. Since my vehicle is out of warranty, I'm trying to avoid a costly bottom seat replacement. It's just strange it coincided with the software update.

Ever since the last update, I have been having issues with my 2014 Model S not powering off when I exit the vehicle and leave. Everything stays on. The only way it will power off is if I open and close the drivers door 2 or 3 times. I can also go into the safety settings and power off the vehicle before exiting. Those 2 options are obviously not ideal. Has anyone else had this issue? I've heard some people say it could be the seat sensor. Since my vehicle is out of warranty, I'm trying to avoid a costly bottom seat replacement. It's just strange it coincided with the software update.
Having the same issue on Model S 2016 for about 2 weeks now. Need to go Menu, Safety, Power off. Otherwise both displays remain on after exit. I'm recently at v 2022.8.10.8, not sure if the error came with the update.

Hmmm... do the headlights automatically turn off when you get out the car? I have a 2014 Model S 60, and I haven't noticed such an anomaly. Prior to the previous update, on a few occasions, my dashboard binnacle would freeze or not start up at all, requiring a complete power down. Since the update, I haven't seen that problem again. But, yeah, it does sound like a seat pressure sensor. Hopefully it won't be an expensive fix.