Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wont be used for 3 months what should we do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thx1139

Aug 1, 2014
Lemont, IL
So we are snow-birding it this year and taking just one of our Tesla's. The 2015 85D will be left behind in Chicago. Now my son will still be at the house. He tends not to drive the S. Likes a smaller car. Should he drive it like once per week? Otherwise should we just leave it plugged in in the garage?

I'm currently doing an expat assignment and spend most of my time overseas. My mid-2016 MS90D routinely goes 2-4 months at a time unused. Similar situation where I do have a family member that could drive it but they prefer smaller cars, not comfortable with the size, so it just stays parked in our garage plugged in.

I do tend to make sure my tires are inflated to a couple psi over normal, especially if I'm leaving in the fall and I know the temp will be dropping. You may notice when you first go to drive it that you feel a little vibration as tires may flat spot a bit, but I find that works itself out after driving a little bit when I return.

There are multiple scenarios you can use around charging. Most common recommendation is just lower the charging point to 50% and let the car periodically charge for a short bit to maintain it.

Personally, I prefer to periodically charge the car to about 70% then let it slowly drop back down to about 50% and then recharge. Nothing scientific about that other than it does allow the BMS to see a range of SOC to hopefully not have the BMS drift out of whack as much. While it may sound like a pain to pay attention to that remotely, I actually have my own data logging script where I've automated that process, so while I keep an eye on the data to make sure my car has not gone off-line or a long time, it all takes care of itself.