Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't charge on 120v or 240v but will still fast/Supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
So my L2 home EVSE went kaput a couple days ago, so yesterday I pulled out my UMC to trickle charge at 120V....but the car wouldn't charge. The following message appeared on my center screen:
20211013_211749.jpg
Tried a different outlet, tried rebooting the car, same result. So I decided to go out to a public L2 station to see if it was the UMC or something wrong with the car. L2 charging also failed:
20211013_222200.jpg20211013_222153.jpg

But the car still Supercharges fine (as well as fast charge at the local EVgo station with Tesla plug). I'm thinking when my L2 home EVSE went kaput, it somehow took the onboard charger with it. That would seem to explain why I can still fast charge even though L1/L2 charging is KO'ed.

Made an appointment at my local SC, but it is 2 weeks out. I'm thinking a mobile service call would be useless if in fact it's a bad onboard charger? Mobile tech could come out on Monday, but what's the point if he can't fix the problem.

Could be the inverter in your car
The device in the car is an AC to DC Converter. An Inverter converts DC to AC.

Or, try setting the amps to 12 or less when you use the 120V charger. Looks like it was set to 32 (way too high for 120V charger).
That's worth a try.

Or, as the screen says for your L2 try, maybe the charger itself is broken.
That's possible, but the L2 charger and the mobile charger both being broken is very unlikely. More likely, the problem is in the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: theothertom
So my L2 home EVSE went kaput a couple days ago, so yesterday I pulled out my UMC to trickle charge at 120V....but the car wouldn't charge. The following message appeared on my center screen:
View attachment 721360
Tried a different outlet, tried rebooting the car, same result. So I decided to go out to a public L2 station to see if it was the UMC or something wrong with the car. L2 charging also failed:
View attachment 721363View attachment 721364

But the car still Supercharges fine (as well as fast charge at the local EVgo station with Tesla plug). I'm thinking when my L2 home EVSE went kaput, it somehow took the onboard charger with it. That would seem to explain why I can still fast charge even though L1/L2 charging is KO'ed.

Made an appointment at my local SC, but it is 2 weeks out. I'm thinking a mobile service call would be useless if in fact it's a bad onboard charger? Mobile tech could come out on Monday, but what's the point if he can't fix the problem.
Just curious, by home EVSE, you have the Tesla Wall Charger? I have the same year/model as yours using the TWC I installed one week ago. I'm interested in how your situation develops - thanks.

Don't assume that. They can do almost everything with mobile service except something really huge, like replacing the entire main battery.
I asked the service center (via the Tesla app) if sending out a tech to my house would be an option instead of waiting 2 weeks for a SC appointment. We'll see what they say. In the meantime, I am stuck Supercharging as my only option for charging until this gets fixed. I did wonder how I was going to use all my 1,000 referral miles by Jan....guess that's 1 problem solved. Lol

I must say, being only able to fast/Supercharge is getting old quick. Still 8 days out from my service appointment (and who knows if they'll give me a loaner...all signs point towards no). I've had to resort to Supercharging before/after work in order to keep my 3 charged up every couple of days, which takes an extra 30-60 minutes out of my day depending on the state of charge. There is an EVgo station with a Tesla plug about 5 miles from my house, but it's so damn expensive (27 cents/min) not to mention slower. I guess I am now slightly regretting not getting a LR 3, but this issue is only short term so whatever.

I must say, being only able to fast/Supercharge is getting old quick. Still 8 days out from my service appointment (and who knows if they'll give me a loaner...all signs point towards no). I've had to resort to Supercharging before/after work in order to keep my 3 charged up every couple of days, which takes an extra 30-60 minutes out of my day depending on the state of charge. There is an EVgo station with a Tesla plug about 5 miles from my house, but it's so damn expensive (27 cents/min) not to mention slower. I guess I am now slightly regretting not getting a LR 3, but this issue is only short term so whatever.
Did you try any other outlets at your house and also not at your house? Did you verify none of the breakers were tripped? Did you try reducing amperage and seeing if it would charge then? Did you try charging your phone or other devices with to verify the outlet is still good?

You need to really verify that the car is the problem and nothing else first. You may get lucky!

Did you try any other outlets at your house and also not at your house? Did you verify none of the breakers were tripped? Did you try reducing amperage and seeing if it would charge then? Did you try charging your phone or other devices with to verify the outlet is still good?

You need to really verify that the car is the problem and nothing else first. You may get lucky!
I tried my home L2, public L2's , other outlets for my UMC. Something in the onboard charger when kaput.

Reactions: Jeremy3292