TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car won't charge past 96%

Discussion in 'Model S' started by random155, Dec 28, 2019.

1. random155

random155 Member

Anyone ever have an issue with their car not charging past a certain percentage. I cant say wether or not its related to my most current FW (40.2.3) or if its something else. I very rarely charge passed 90% but due to a recent trip she wont go past 96%. This was duplicated this morning after i ran the battery down to 9% yesterday and charged all night.

2. ahkahn

ahkahn Active Member

Sounds like your battery pack is cold. It won't go to 100% if it's too cold.

• Disagree x 1
  3. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

• Informative x 1
  4. croman

croman Active Member

That's silly. Charging heats the pack. In no way is the pack functioning properly if it can't charge from 9% to 100.

I'd schedule a service center visit and get a new battery from Tesla. Definitely seems like a module failure.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Hmmmm, I was under the impression that the battery loses range as it ages. My MS100D only charges to 316 miles now, versus 335 when new. Should I expect Tesla to replace my battery??

6. random155

random155 Member

You're thinking of mileage, not percent. The battery will not lose percentages. Degradation = 100% is 254 vs 265 when new. Not %100 is now 96%. The car should still charge to 100% but not get the original mileage.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  7. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

By chance did it finish leveling and calculating? That last few percent can take a very long time to complete. And this is many times where it’s leveling cells and recalculating it’s final numbers. im sure you know this already and it was done but just a thought.

8. Cavell219

Cavell219 Member

Very stupid question and not trying to insult. But did you have the slider to 100%? If so maybe try backing it off and then back to 100%

9. random155

random155 Member

0006DB28-58AE-493C-B304-F71E268B84A1.png got up to 97 today but went back down to 96 shortly thereafter.

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

This is somewhat common, especially if it’s been a long time since you’ve charged to 100%. In my case a few deep discharge-charge cycles has always cleared it up.

11. ahkahn

ahkahn Active Member

Not if the ambient temp is cold and the amps slow down. It only heats up at higher amperage, and once you hit 96% it's already well tapered down to 5-10 amps and can easily get cold. Mine has done this routinely, and by the next charge is fine.

12. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Most likely, this is Battery Management System calculation drift as time passes.

That means although it calculates that the calculation is now 96% but in reality, there's no more room to charge it anymore so it should be labeled as 100% instead.

That's a similar but opposite complaint: Owners set charging at 80% at night but when they woke up, it showed 86%. It didn't intentionally overcharge and it did stop at 80% as it calculated last but then it re-calculated and reported the new display as 86%.

These are examples of miscalculations even though there's nothing wrong with your battery.

Numerous owners have reported that Service Center advised them in writing to set their charge at 90% and not lower to avoid these kinds of calculation drifts.

One owner is kind enough to post the receipt with the advice.

13. random155

random155 Member

Ok that makes sense. I dont charge every night. My charging is sporadic at best. Sometimes once a week, with some supercharging thrown in there for a few kw.

• Like x 1
  14. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

Ok - you need to turn on the notifications for charge completed on your app. It should end at a 100 percent when completed. If it stops before 100, not normal (although some with batterygate issues have had that happen). After charge completed, there will be vampire drain and balancing, and that’s another issue

15. random155

random155 Member

I do, and the notification says charging completed at 97%

16. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Like I said. A few deep discharge cycles will fix it. This isn’t something to overthink.

17. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

That is not a problem.

The problem is the bad charging habit.

Service Center documents in writing for owners that they should charge to 90% daily.

It's fine to not charging 90% daily but your battery gauge is messed up quicker that's all.

And that may cause owners' anxiety that there's something wrong with their battery and time and effort to take it to Service Center just to be slapped with a citation of bad charging habit.

18. cookie99

cookie99 Member

mine would stop at 97% too, I ended up doing slow charging from empty to balance the pack, seemed to have fixed it.

19. Wratran

Wratran Member

Is there any solution to fix charging stop at 96%?

20. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Did you read this thread and try what was suggested?