Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't connect to wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my phone as a Hotspot but lately the car won't connect to it. Also, it used to show a list of available wifi, but it doesn't do this anymore. My phone still connects with the car to Summon, etc. Is this a known problem?
Do you mean the car WiFi is on, and nothing in the list, or do you mean the car WiFi is off, and you then have to switch it on?

I have th later problem, and always have to switch WiFi on

I use my phone as a Hotspot but lately the car won't connect to it. Also, it used to show a list of available wifi, but it doesn't do this anymore. My phone still connects with the car to Summon, etc. Is this a known problem?
Some more info about what type of phone?

Assuming you're using an iPhone...I use the wifi hotspot on my iPhone and iPad frequently for work. I alway find that after awhile either device will sort of "time out" if no one has connected to them in a bit, even though Personal Hotspot is switched on. It won't show up in the list of available devices on my computer. Going in to the Personal Hotspot and switching it off and then back on solves the problem.

Sorry if you've already tried that, but turning everything off and then back on is a good place to start.

Reactions: Pasralph1
Some more info about what type of phone?

Assuming you're using an iPhone...I use the wifi hotspot on my iPhone and iPad frequently for work. I alway find that after awhile either device will sort of "time out" if no one has connected to them in a bit, even though Personal Hotspot is switched on. It won't show up in the list of available devices on my computer. Going in to the Personal Hotspot and switching it off and then back on solves the problem.

Sorry if you've already tried that, but turning everything off and then back on is a good place to start.
I'm using Android. So far, the only thing that works is to do a full reboot, which is irritating and takes time. Maybe the next update will fix it?

I've had my wifi not connect a few times and sometimes all I need to do is let it go to sleep, other times a reboot is necessary. But as we said at the help desk when I did that kind of thing, when all else fails, reboot, and RTFM.

Reactions: Vaillant