Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't go into Drive. At all. Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I climbed in to my charged M3 and it won't shift into Drive. Anybody see this? Notice top left by battery state is weird.

I tried rebooting, no help.

Thanks!

QSIHmysXOH4fjUiadptkKt03cIp0YWALrCEi5Ta72WE711SFWHQre3lcYsGt_rbXB8bXLROo9O7lx5FfElkeK5WMqV1GW_SmLTMyK1YWUwBpMIY9j0Kq7MYiRnbodedxRUlqqMVZCdv2K1JX1nSwKtXs0Tz-zJa2xEx9rH_qG1ljjBP26PN4smbeVZ2hvI-fi3Qmi0CLyLMFPDvRmBexnEA8MEXa_skyYCcL0Cnc9k-418Wlgo4QM0gUdL-ubKUKK_KxDJp9gYlLTQcK1peAyyziH62JMB-KSvAMGP713qJHG8IK-ys6DL39ixPeLyEZFZcfdo3mjF5_3IqUN8gz5iduKldKvxujJln6Vxy0QSDai7yY9WglssU1SO_96I9v6oKASO6Thy4Q_kznobzqGb7Hud-bm_1s2YUCxLocMfL-hXiZwrO09hBGvhAsf_IZsNz5SaRGJpipVsUTHX3a22aUrDIl_S8WzqZLJjNKSj1Icv4ycLKdtme1v2NDpgQL72fbvbvU5HDhunnKADKjDxUlYhHlnLU7Aqzt4RzJ_Vxnr-Q5bvxDrqI2oLtawLTynEHWPf_mBRgTxqmQryazJZxmxHLMkkqGm-OdKLBfEND59_UMUNe0a0J-pfL0KQz0DXX8azc__4ItVxw_LR86FAGaXk_ZeV12mWanjHlM3cheg7c_Y3d3sk5LrycTphk=w1234-h694-no

I saw a YouTube video a few weeks where a guy picked up his Tesla from a service center after it had closed and they left the car in service mode or maintenance mode and there was similar message on the screen. However he was able to put the car in drive but it wouldn't go over 5MPH! Not sure why you can't get into Drive but if a reset didn't resolve it then you may need to do a service call.

Glad it came back to life for you.
You have a good attitude towards it all. :)

Tesla’s are really the first fully software driven car. I think (except for functions essential to our safety), we will need to live with a degree of software glitches from time to time.
Every single computer and phone has them. That’s one of the reasons IT departments exist.

Like you, I’ll take the glitches over not owning one. :)

As long as the essential safety functions like braking, steering, seat belts, etc are not glitchy, I’m good. :)

Tesla’s are really the first fully software driven car. I think (except for functions essential to our safety), we will need to live with a degree of software glitches from time to time.
Every single computer and phone has them. That’s one of the reasons IT departments exist.

As long as the essential safety functions like braking, steering, seat belts, etc are not glitchy, I’m good. :)

Agreed, @M109Rider , and I'd add that the "bugs" are worth it for the insane rate of free progress we enjoy with Tesla's OTA updates!

IT does overlook bugs for their job security I swear.

I have a October 2018 that would occasionally not go into gear. Had messages on screen about waiting for the system to power up. Sometimes helped to get out of the car and then back in. It would do this off and on for a couple of months. Got to the point if it went to sleep for a period of time it would not immediately be able to drive. After about 30 minutes it was good to go, think it wouldn't charge the 12v battery while sleeping.

Ended up being a lose cable that made intermittent contact and was replaced under warranty. Been about a year since that issue and have not had further problems after getting it fixed.

Will say this just because no one else has yet, but anytime my car wouldn’t shift into drive it was because it had a bad connection with the Bluetooth key to my phone. It had enough permission to open the car door and let me in, but not enough to actually drive. Try tapping your key card to the center console, or turning on your phone screen to wake it up and connect to Bluetooth. I haven’t seen this issue in a while though, and I think the last time I saw it the car was smart enough to recognize a Bluetooth error and popped up a screen that said tap key card to drive.

So it turns out that the cause of this was a short, like @Wyatt57350, not a software bug.

And not just a wear-and-tear short. I'd noticed weeks ago that I'd cracked the frame around the rear left brake light. The light was half full of water! After I texted my local service manager about the non-driveability, even after it worked the next day, he said "can I check into that?" So I brought it in, and asked him to repair the light at the same time. It turns out water was dripping down to a wired contact. So (CA$320 later :( - problem solved!