Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't go into Drive or Reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fudd

Apr 2, 2018
DC
I'm on software 2018.42.3. This morning I got into the car (using my phone), Tried to put it in reverse and nothing happened. Tried again and again, pressing hard on the brake, still nothing happened. Drive to put in Drive (just to see if it would), no luck. After about 30 seconds of trying it went into reverse.

I've experienced this problem before, before the version 9 update, and I thought it was a fluke or "just me"... but now it has happened again. Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh, and on top of all that I realized soon afterward (while driving) that I had no cruise or AP. Others have experienced this issue, too: 2018.42.4 NO AP?

No other error messages or pop-ups to clue you in? (door ajar?)

Maybe driver seat detector is not detecting your butt presence? Are you a lightweight person? Are you using a pillow, seat cover, or booster?

When we had issue like this with my wife’s 3, the PRND would not even appear without a restart. They said it was software issue that was not unique and would be fixed in future software release. Has not recurred since recent updates.

No other error messages or pop-ups to clue you in? (door ajar?)

Maybe driver seat detector is not detecting your butt presence? Are you a lightweight person? Are you using a pillow, seat cover, or booster?

I'm close to 260lbs... I do have a seat pad (not cover), but I doubt it's going to interfere with it detecting me. If it happens again, I'll try removing it and post the results...

This started happening to me more often so I set up an appt with my SC. Within a 1/2hr of setting my appt online, they called and said they diagnosed my car and didn't see anything physically wrong with the stalk. He then told me it's most likely a bluetooth issue (Pixel 1). I told him I didn't have any problems with the car auto unlocking, but he said just because the bluetooth unlocked the car doesn't necessarily mean it'll also start the car. Even though I told him I never got the 'Place card on center console' message, he said to try that the next time it doesn't engage in D or R. I doubt it will work, but I'll give it a shot the next time it happens. Outside of that, he said even if I brought it in, there wasn't much else they could check.

I’ve had this happen a few times. I noticed the last time that the screen was also completely unresponsive. Waited about 30 seconds and everything just started working on its own. Seems like the car just takes a little bit to completely wake up sometimes.

I've had this issue a few times. In my case, it was a problem with the phone key. Simply unlocking my phone (iPhone X) made it recognize the key and let me switch into gear.

There appears to be a bug where the "place keycard here" animation does not always pop up even though no key has been detected. So there is no indication that the key is the problem. I confirmed this by bringing up the keys preference pane, and as expected none of the registered keys showed up as "present."

Guys who have this issue... and is repeatable.... ditch the phone keys for a bit. (De-register it)

Use your card key only for a few days. See if she no-go into D or R even when the card key is placed correctly. Even if the animation comes up or doesn't... just put it where it needs to be and select the gear.

No gear takes? It's a bug, let us know and Call Tesla.