Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Won't Lock When I Walk Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lock when you leave the car only works when the unlock was also done by the cell phone automatically. It won't do it if you unlocked with the card on the pillar, which I presume you did here. You need to find why your cell phone as key isn't working anymore. There are plenty of threads on that around here. Normally it's a cell phone problem, not a car problem.

Are you solely basing this off the the lock/unlock status on your app? Keep in mind the status is not in real-time and can take a few moments to update the locked status of the vehicle.

I recommend performing a test. Start by unlocking your car with your phone like you normally would. Then walk away the appropriate distance where the auto lock would occur (~30'). Leave your phone behind and go see if the door is locked.

There is also an option to enable an audible honk to cue to you when the car has been auto locked. If that is not turn on I would recommend it. I think it's under security.

Lock when you leave the car only works when the unlock was also done by the cell phone automatically. It won't do it if you unlocked with the card on the pillar, which I presume you did here. You need to find why your cell phone as key isn't working anymore. There are plenty of threads on that around here. Normally it's a cell phone problem, not a car problem.
"It won't do it if you unlocked with the card on the pillar"
Are you sure about that, I can't check right now because my Tesla is in service center

Did you just recently update to app version 4.15.1 ? I had this same problem and what happened is that when I updated the app changed the permissions so that "Nearby Devices" were no longer allowed. Go into the app settings and see if that's the problem. You might also have to allow other items as well. Like Location, Microphone and Contacts. Updating removed all those for me as well.

See my post #22 in the thread below. You may be having a similar issue.

Post in thread 'Walk away lock still not working properly after 4 years'
Walk away lock still not working properly after 4 years
Exact issue with the same sensor needing replacement. They fixed it yesterday and the service advisor told me this is a very common problem. If the sensor breaks a second time, he said they must then replace the entire seat for whatever reason.