Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't start during software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a software update scheduled for the middle of the night when I usually don't need my car. Unfortunately, we had a family emergency and I had to use the car. The car was not plugged in, and I could not break the software update but holding down both scroll wheels. My wife was able to use her car, but if her car wasn't available, this could have been a serious problem.

Doesn't there need to be a way to break a software update in an emergency?
Tesla Model Y, 2021

Thank you!

No there is no way to do that. Car must be in park, and gives you the time estimate. It will be a giant paperweight until it is complete. Most computers don't like you messing with it while updating. Same with a Tesla.

I tend to update when I am nearby. Which is usually when I am staring at the update. Not in the middle of the night. If update failed for some reason I would like to know about it prior to waking. In your case so it was complete when your wife needed it.

Welcome to TMC. Sorry to hear about the emergency at a bad time.

I had a software update scheduled for the middle of the night when I usually don't need my car. Unfortunately, we had a family emergency and I had to use the car. The car was not plugged in, and I could not break the software update but holding down both scroll wheels. My wife was able to use her car, but if her car wasn't available, this could have been a serious problem.

Doesn't there need to be a way to break a software update in an emergency?
Tesla Model Y, 2021

Thank you!
No, and you better don't even try to stop the update. This of the update as if you decided to change brake pads on your car, and then you encountered emergency. Even if you can put the wheel back on the car quickly, I'd not recommend you to drive anywhere. Just call Uber if there is no other option.

I sympathise with you however.

If you do automatic updates at night then yes it could happen that an emergency arises however the odds of that are pretty slim. (maybe time to buy that lottery ticket?)No worse than barely making it home on the few electrons left and then an emergency arises with no juice left in the car. No worse than an ICE car where the battery is dead or the engine does not start due to a mechanical problem. A second car or a neighbour will eliminate this scenario then again you could have an accident on your way for help.

Point is, nothing is infallible and nobody can be held accountable. I think the appropriate expression is $hit happens. ;)

I think I heard recently that the Mach E has dual systems to facilitate seamless updates. Essentially you use system A and system B gets updated in the background; then the next time you turn the car on, it uses system B, and the next update gets applied to A and you switch to it on next start. This is a great idea and I hope Tesla adopt it at some point.

Reactions: HillClimb
I think I heard recently that the Mach E has dual systems to facilitate seamless updates. Essentially you use system A and system B gets updated in the background; then the next time you turn the car on, it uses system B, and the next update gets applied to A and you switch to it on next start. This is a great idea and I hope Tesla adopt it at some point.
This is exactly how Android System Updates work too... It silently downloads the update, and installs it into a secondary boot partition. When you select install update, it swaps the boot partition and reboots. It does not unlink the old partition until successful boot into the updated partition.

Unfortunately, like many have answered above, it's not possible to stop the update once it started. Just like when your computer (Mac or Windows) is in the middle of system update (not downloading but updating), you can't and shouldn't power off your computer. Owned a Tesla since 2012, I never have a failed system update, so just give the system 15-20 min to update and you should be good to go.

I cannot make an emergency phone call on my iPhone, use my Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, Tivo, Roku, NAS, Smart TV, Sonos or Wireless router either when I agree to a system update! So what to do if I add my Tesla to the inoperable mix, look at the clock and read a paperback novel? Geez...
vector-cartoon-stick-figure-drawing-conceptual-illustration-tired-frustrated-office-worker-man...jpg