Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wont stay on/stand by after I get out of car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car used to stand by for hours and would instantly be ready to drive as soon as I get in the car. After getting it back from service center earlier this week and getting a new update, it started turning itself completely off as soon as I get out of the car. Is there a way to fix this? Is this a new feature or something? Even if I just get out for 2,3 minutes and get right back in, it would still turn itself off. Usually this is not a problem but now its cutting the power to my BlackVue in parking mode and I would like to keep this on. Again, it only started happening for the past 3,4 days. It never done this before, is there a way for me to fix this? Thank you in advance :)

My car used to stand by for hours and would instantly be ready to drive as soon as I get in the car. After getting it back from service center earlier this week and getting a new update, it started turning itself completely off as soon as I get out of the car. Is there a way to fix this? Is this a new feature or something? Even if I just get out for 2,3 minutes and get right back in, it would still turn itself off. Usually this is not a problem but now its cutting the power to my BlackVue in parking mode and I would like to keep this on. Again, it only started happening for the past 3,4 days. It never done this before, is there a way for me to fix this? Thank you in advance :)

AFAIK, that is normal behavior, at least both of mine have always done that. If there is a passenger on board, that person can touch the screen to keep things running after the driver leaves. You can optionally leave the climate system running, but the rest of the car is off. The console will stay lit up for a minute or two (I use that to make sure the charger is working, if I plug in the car).

This is all covered in the manual, check it out. I really don’t think there has been any change in the last year or longer.

Even if the car is off, it is instantly available when you get back in. Even the music is playing!

AFAIK, that is normal behavior, at least both of mine have always done that. If there is a passenger on board, that person can touch the screen to keep things running after the driver leaves. You can optionally leave the climate system running, but the rest of the car is off. The console will stay lit up for a minute or two (I use that to make sure the charger is working, if I plug in the car).

This is all covered in the manual, check it out. I really don’t think there has been any change in the last year or longer.

Even if the car is off, it is instantly available when you get back in. Even the music is playing!
I think you misunderstood OP's question. What you described as "off" is what OP mentioned as being stayed on / standby.

What OP described as "off" is the car turning completely off. When you get back in the car you will see a message on the IC screen showing "car is powering on" and you actually have to wait a bit before you can drive the car and not instantly available. I know this happens occasionally on mine but not all the time.

@nitroretro What firmware version are you on?

I think you misunderstood OP's question. What you described as "off" is what OP mentioned as being stayed on / standby.

What OP described as "off" is the car turning completely off. When you get back in the car you will see a message on the IC screen showing "car is powering on" and you actually have to wait a bit before you can drive the car and not instantly available. I know this happens occasionally on mine but not all the time.

Im on 2018.28.5 377ec8b. This "car is powering on" message is showing up even when I only leave the car for 5-10 minutes and it starting to get real annoying.

Last edited:

Could be I suppose. I have never seen a “powering on” message ever. Occasional Tesla T logo for a few seconds, but rare. I’d try a reboot or two, if that ever happened to me. If it continues, I’d open a case with the SC. It is possible the most recent update went sideways and needs to be re-done. Good luck!

Who did the installation that didn't meet your needs when there are reliable constant, continuous 12V power sources for your dash cam if you want?

Im sorry if I wasnt clear enough. Before this week's problem of the car not staying on, the blackvue in my car has been working fine for about a month. From my understanding, if the car goes on stand by/idle? Then the blackvue would be able to get continuous power from the car. Which it has been doing that since I bought it and installed it myself. Until this week, where the car now shuts off completely everytime I get out of the car and will display the message "Car is powering on" when I get back into the car. I only noticed it after I signed in to my blackvue last night and the only vids I saw were from driving around, not parking.

Im sorry if I wasnt clear enough. Before this week's problem of the car not staying on, the blackvue in my car has been working fine for about a month. From my understanding, if the car goes on stand by/idle? Then the blackvue would be able to get continuous power from the car. Which it has been doing that since I bought it and installed it myself. Until this week, where the car now shuts off completely everytime I get out of the car and will display the message "Car is powering on" when I get back into the car. I only noticed it after I signed in to my blackvue last night and the only vids I saw were from driving around, not parking.

As I said before, I have never once seen a "Car is powering on" message on my car(s). I would call the Tesla help desk, or your local SC. Either one of them can log in to your car and see what is going on.

Where did you pick up power for the BlackVue? I used the dangling 12V line for the Brake Controller (Tesla graciously included a mating cable for it).

Have you tried a MCU reset just to see if it helps? I get the "car is powering on" message maybe like 3 or 4 times in the last 8 months. Usually happened when we left it alone for days when we were on vacation. Also check to see if you are in Power Saving mode or something? Maybe SC put in that and that turned off the car. I know I put our X in Energy Saving mode when we go on vacation and parks it in an airport parking lot, and that would trigger the car is powering on message. Also make sure your always connect is checked.

Sounds like sleep versus idle. You can get TeslaFi or another data logger to keep the car awake. Finally a use for that "feature". Always Connected on, Energy Savings off, or Cabin Overheat Protection on should also help keep the car awake. Sleeping reduces vampire losses when the car is not in use, so generally the more the better. It can be a difference between 10-15 miles/day or 1-2 miles/day in losses. The advantage of TeslaFi is that it should be possible to schedule it to allow the car to sleep at night. The problem is that it will cost for a subscription. The other settings would be free.

As I said before, I have never once seen a "Car is powering on" message on my car(s). I would call the Tesla help desk, or your local SC. Either one of them can log in to your car and see what is going on.

Where did you pick up power for the BlackVue? I used the dangling 12V line for the Brake Controller (Tesla graciously included a mating cable for it).

Im using power from OBD-II port. Im going to try and reset the MCU see if it would help. Thank you for all the suggestions!

My P100D is less than a month old and I get "Car is powering up" for a few seconds every once in a while if I go straight to the driver's seat. If I'm putting my kids in the car first it's always ready to go. And I lock the car each time I leave with a triple tap on the lock button.

I did an MCU reset this morning and everything is now back to normal! My blackvue had power and recorded everything all day. The car stopped showing the "car is powering up" message so Im assuming its not back to standing by/idling instead of shutting itself completely off like the pass couple of days. Thank you for all your help :)

Reactions: SpudLime