Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake-up after 4+ hours of sleep-mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 LR AWD (8/18 manufactured date - VIN 68xxx) - SW 2018.32.6 08c12e6

When my car goes to sleep (at work or at home), it doesn't seem to want to wake up anytime it sleeps for longer than 4 hours. I've tried via the iPhone widget, the iPhone app, and using TeslaFI's "wake" control. Nothing wakes it up.

I have to be within Bluetooth range so my phone key is connected, then unlock / lock the vehicle first; only then does it finally wake up. I also noticed that if I don't pre-wake the car and get in, there's no Internet connectivity and the LTE has a slash though the antennas (for about 5-10 seconds, then it comes back).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have "always connected" toggled on along with "allow mobile access".

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: evpulse
Just got my 3 on Wednesday.

Yes, I see this also. Even my S is often impossible to wake via the phone.

Where do you find "always connected" and "allow mobile access"? I know where "always connected" is on my S but can't find it on the 3.

I will probably report this elsewhere, but I have found that if overheat protection is turned off, the car goes into a very deep sleep mode in about 15 minutes. Waking the car with the door handle results in a black screen for 25 seconds followed by the T and then the normal screen. It looks like a complete reboot rather than waking from sleep.

Just wondering, are y'all hooked up to wifi when this issue happens? Or just LTE?

For me, this happened to me at my parent's house, and after digging around I found that when I park there the LTE signal is weak (like 1 bar, maybe 2). It almost feels like when the computer goes to sleep this signal gets even weaker to the point where it just dies. If I wake up the car via alternate means (unlock / lock) then it works. Once I hooked up my car to their wifi then the issues went away.

I’m having the same problem and with it getting cold out it’s really annoying to not be able to preheat my car. I tried the overheat protection trick and it still won’t wake up after a long sleep. In my case it doesn’t matter how many bars I have. I’ll sit for 30+ minutes trying to wake it up over and over again.

Model 3 LR AWD (8/18 manufactured date - VIN 68xxx) - SW 2018.32.6 08c12e6

When my car goes to sleep (at work or at home), it doesn't seem to want to wake up anytime it sleeps for longer than 4 hours. I've tried via the iPhone widget, the iPhone app, and using TeslaFI's "wake" control. Nothing wakes it up.

I have to be within Bluetooth range so my phone key is connected, then unlock / lock the vehicle first; only then does it finally wake up. I also noticed that if I don't pre-wake the car and get in, there's no Internet connectivity and the LTE has a slash though the antennas (for about 5-10 seconds, then it comes back).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have "always connected" toggled on along with "allow mobile access".

Thanks!

The wakeup from the app, I believe, only occurs over cellular. Since when the car goes to sleep, it drops the Wi-Fi. So the car needs cellular to wake up.

The phone key only works over Bluetooth.

The wakeup from the app, I believe, only occurs over cellular. Since when the car goes to sleep, it drops the Wi-Fi. So the car needs cellular to wake up.

The phone key only works over Bluetooth.

This is what I've found. My car is WiFi only at my house since there's no cell service at the location. I really wish Tesla would allow the option to stay on WiFi. It's really throwing a wrench into my Teslafi scheduled events when the car is at my home.

• Helpful
Reactions: brandonee916
I'm finding this discussion very interesting. I was looking for just this subject and found this thread. My car (2018 S 100D) seem to take longer and longer to wake up in the morning. It won't respond to my fob and if it is plugged in, it won't let me remove the plug. Today I had success by opening the Tesla app on the phone and it began waking up. --dash first and faded "T" on the screen. The whole process took at least 3-4 minutes. I seems to take longer everyday. New battery in the fob didn't help. Cellular and wifi are close by, so signal is available. Ideas?

I'm finding this discussion very interesting. I was looking for just this subject and found this thread. My car (2018 S 100D) seem to take longer and longer to wake up in the morning. It won't respond to my fob and if it is plugged in, it won't let me remove the plug. Today I had success by opening the Tesla app on the phone and it began waking up. --dash first and faded "T" on the screen. The whole process took at least 3-4 minutes. I seems to take longer everyday. New battery in the fob didn't help. Cellular and wifi are close by, so signal is available. Ideas?

This issue was "fixed" for most of us who had it with firmware update *.50.* . I doubt that anything that people were talking about here is relevant for your model S.

Since its a model year 2018, you should make a note of the last time it happened and take it in for service.