Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car would not wake up!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. Let me preface by saying that the car is in my garage and plugged in. I hadn't driven it for about 3-4 days and the temperature outside was about 20 degrees.

I was at another house away from the Tesla. I was trying to show my brother-in-law the Tesla app but it wouldn't connect. I thought it was an app issue. I shut it down and restarted but still no luck. I even uninstalled the app and reinstalled but still didn't work. At this point I was getting concerned that something was wrong with the car or something happened to the battery being so cold outside.

Well I wasn't planning on going home but did later that evening to check on the car. Approached the car and the lights flashed and the door handles presented themselves. I sat in the car and nothing happened. The dashboard or the touchscreen didn't turn on. Pushed the brake and nothing. Obviously sometimes it takes time for the car to wake up when you push the brake but nothing happened after a couple of minutes.

Next checked the charge port and was blue. I unplugged and plugged back in. I would make the noise like it was locking but then only turn blue. Not sure what the blue color means. I was getting very concerned at this point. Also mobile connector wasn't showing the green streaming lights like it was charging the car.

So now I look through the owners manual to find out what the blue color charge port indicates but could not find it. Honestly I was skimming pretty fast and might have missed it. Not knowing what else I could do I called Tesla's toll free number. I explained the situation to him and he told me to go to the car and unplug it. After doing this I sat down in the car and amazingly the dashboard came on but not the touchscreen. Bottom of the dashboard it had the caution triangle and it said that the 12V battery was low and the car may shut down (the car didn't even turn on). At this point the Tesla representative took down my VIN. He asked me to push the toggle wheels to reset the touchscreen which worked and the touchscreen turned on. But the car still wouldn't start. It appears that he was checking on something and then asked me to start the car and it worked. The caution triangle disappeared and everything seemed to be okay. I asked him if this is a concern for the 12V battery and said no. He said that the battery was reading low but is back to normal.

I drove the car the next couple of days and haven't had any problems. What does concern me is that after getting the car running that night the car was only charged to 220 and I know when I checked it a couple of days ago it was at 233. So during this time period when the car wasn't working it wasn't charging and loosing charge. Concerning in the fact that if I left a 50% charge and went on vacation for a couple of weeks this would have bricked the battery. Obviously this would be covered under the battery warranty but shouldn't have to go through this especially with car plugged in.
Since the car is working fine for now I will discuss the situation at my annual service.

Next checked the charge port and was blue. I unplugged and plugged back in. I would make the noise like it was locking but then only turn blue. Not sure what the blue color means. I was getting very concerned at this point. Also mobile connector wasn't showing the green streaming lights like it was charging the car.
Dunno about the rest of it (never had any problems like that) but the blue color (dark blue) means the car is connected and ready to charge at next scheduled charge time.

Attempting to move the car with it plugged in is a problem, but I think you should be able to turn on the screens, etc. Apparently the car didn't want to do that while it was plugged in.

Otherwise it looks like service had you reboot the screens then things worked. I'll keep that in mind if I see anything similar.

Been there. At a public parking lot (movies), lights flashed, handles presented, sat down - all systems dark. After several attempts to wake her up, nothing. So i left the car, walked 50 away, and reapproached the car. This time it booted up, and I was able to drive home. The Denver service center checked the car remotely, said my 12-V was nearing the end of its life. The battery was 6-months old, and it was my second battery. The SC valeted a loaner to my house (25 miles from SC), took back my car, and then returned next day with a "beefier 12-V" that should last years. Great service, and all is well.

INext checked the charge port and was blue. I unplugged and plugged back in. I would make the noise like it was locking but then only turn blue. Not sure what the blue color means.

Dark blue means that there is a successful connection but charging is not yet started.

Light blue (or white depending upon your colour vision) indicates that the port is ready for insertion or removal of the charge cable.

Blinking green means there is current flowing for either charging preheat/cool or both. Blinking speed indicates how close to done the charging is.

Solid green indicates charging is about to happen or has just stopped.

Red means there is a problem and the car won't charge.

Blinking of any colour other than green indicates a problem.

Seems to be a number of little gremlins like this so far. I've had a couple of instances of the door handle trying to squeeze my hand, and the passenger front door popping open on unlock. Little stuff, it's their first iteration and naturally there's something they will perfect in time. Overall, it's an amazing car with amazing technology and most of the issues seem to be not related to the fact that it's powered by electricity. I've had other issues with German cars in the past as well.

Similar happened to me once in mid-October. This was when I was still on 4.5 (so pre-sleep mode). I came back to my car after a round of golf and no response from the dash or center console. I tried rebooting both and the dash came back but had some error about the center console (not 12V if I recall correctly). I tried rebooting the center console a couple more times but nothing seemed to happen. After sitting there for a few minutes I decided to shift to reverse to see if I could drive. It did. I looked back to back out and when I looked forward again the center console was up and running.

It was coincidentally going in for service a week later so I had them take note and recommended that they look at the logs from that time if they still had them. I don't know if they did but this only happened the one time and there's been no other issues.

Saturday AM, after a cold overnight (low 20's) I had a similar issue. We were planning on heading out for a road trip and I went to get the battery topped off for the drive. The wake up was very weird (center console rebooted as well as dash) and the "12V battery needs service, car may be undriveable" - or something to that effect - warning flashed . My scheduled charging also didn't happen that night. Well I started up the charging, no problems, except the charge rate was a little low. We were going down to Chapel Hill for the Duke game and fortunately I was able to add enough miles to leave on time. BTW, trip would have been a no go otherwise without the Supercharger for the trip back. I called Tesla SC in Raleigh, who agreed that the 12V battery would need to be replaced. They were gung ho to come to Chapel Hill while I was there and swap out cars to replace the battery, but the trip was too rushed with the game and all and we couldn't make it happen. Anyway the warning hasn't come back again, but I'm sure the cold weather exposed the weakness in the 12V battery and I'm going to get a Ranger to come replace it.

Vip what version car software are you running?

I just upgraded to 5.8 about 2 weeks ago.

@ Hussain, don't get me wrong I love the car just concerned about this happening when the car was plugged in. My thought is that I shouldn't have to worry about the car if it is plugged in. Maybe some kind of warning that is sent to the phone app that the 12V battery is low and potential problems may occur if not resolved soon.

Slightly OTT...

@ Jerry33..

"Dark blue means that there is a successful connection (EVSE is operational) but charging is not yet started (EV is not connected yet).

Light blue (or white depending upon your colour vision) indicates that the port is ready for insertion or removal of the charge cable.

Blinking green means there is current flowing for either charging, preheat/cool or both.

Solid green indicates charging is about to happen or has just stopped (charging).

Red means there is a problem and the car won't charge. (e.g. EVSE faulty or plug cover forced open)"

(I assume you mean 'charging, preheat/cool' and not as you wrote it without the comma or there wouldn't be a pretty colour for just charging…?)

Interestingly the colour scheme is the same (almost) as for the only IEC 62196-2 EVSE I have tried here in the UK - except no blinking. Shame all the other EV charging 'standards' can't follow suit. Slight variations in my experience of the electromotive EVSE in italics. Video here… Vectrix Charging via Mennekes Adapter Cable - YouTube … if you are really bored!

MW

Last edited: