Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wouldn't power up this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
So I had a new experience this morning. I came out to the car to head to work. When I opened the door, both displays stayed black, but after pressing the brake the driver dash screen showed the T logo. Once that was booted the normal message appeared, "Systems are powering up, press brake when this message clears." So I waited, and waited, and waited. The center screen was still dead at this point. So I decided to try a double-scroll-wheel reboot of the center display. Since the screen was dark already I just held down the buttons for about 15 seconds. After another minute or so, the center screen sprang to life with the T logo and soon the car was back to normal. Whew! Off to work I went.

Has anyone else run across a similar situation? Is this just part of driving a computer or is this potentially some other underlying issue that may come back to bite me later?

So I had a new experience this morning. I came out to the car to head to work. When I opened the door, both displays stayed black, but after pressing the brake the driver dash screen showed the T logo. Once that was booted the normal message appeared, "Systems are powering up, press brake when this message clears." So I waited, and waited, and waited. The center screen was still dead at this point. So I decided to try a double-scroll-wheel reboot of the center display. Since the screen was dark already I just held down the buttons for about 15 seconds. After another minute or so, the center screen sprang to life with the T logo and soon the car was back to normal. Whew! Off to work I went.

Has anyone else run across a similar situation? Is this just part of driving a computer or is this potentially some other underlying issue that may come back to bite me later?

Glad to hear the reset worked for you.
Did you get a notification about a software update?

I was having this issue frequently and called Tesla. Turned out my navigation history was too long and it was causing memory constraints. If recurring I’d call Tesla they can walk you through a fix. It’s a pain deleting individual navigation addresses so I just reset all the car settings which to me seemed easier but since doing this haven’t had these issues surface again.

This just happened today for the first time (only owned the car for 2 months now). There are a few threads on this topic but this is the most recent. Here are some other threads explaining the same issue.

Summary of the reason this message appears is not conclusive. Solution is to just press both scroll wheels and reboot the car.

I called Tesla support to check the logs to see if they had any idea of the reason and I think I got a new guy on the phone. Told him it happened this morning for the first time; he asked if the car had been at service recently; I said yes a month ago at the service centre for a 2 year service and then mobile support last week for a door handle replacement. He then asked if they had any ideas why it happened....

“Systems Are Powering Up. Press Brake When This Message Clears

Systems are powering up

Happened to me for the first time yesterday on our 2017 S 100D. Could be a new "feature" added in a recent release.

Really wish they would allow us to completely disable sleep mode. That used to be an option. Now all you can do is disable sleep mode, except for overnight, when all cars are forced to go to sleep.

Just had this happen as we exited the movie theater tonight and returned to the car. The dark center screen gave me the immediate "uh oh" feeling. It was the 2nd time this happened in the last month. The two finger shuffle brought back life to the screen in about a minute and all was fine.

This behavior is really odd and hopefully this will be addressed in a future firmware update. I was just glad it was only my wife and me and not friends sitting in the back thinking, "So this is what all this money buys?"

This has happened to me about every 2 weeks for the past 9 months. It always resolves with a scroll-wheel reboot, until 3 weeks ago when they had to replace the MCU. It has happened once since the MCU replacement.
I find this to be the most frustrating aspect of owning my S90D. I have spoken to tech people on multiple occasions and they tell me they are tracking the problem....

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've had this and waited for more than 10 min waiting for it to finish "powering up" I didn't do a reset, just put it in drive and everything started working. This has happened on both our P85 and 90D. Started without a reset. I have used the reset in the past but the last few times it seemed like it didn't do anything during the first 5-10 mins.

I'm sure Tesla marketing can spin this into an anti-theft feature. They just need one news story how a thief stole the fob, got in a car, didn't know the 2 finger salute, and was still sitting there waiting for the systems to power up when the cops got there. It will be followed by a bunch of owners complaining their cars don't do that, and how they need an update so their cars don't get stolen. :p

I've only had my 2017 for a few months, I've had that Systems Powering Up message a few times and just having to wait it out. In my short ownership experience I've come to the conclusion I do not want to own this car out of warranty, I'm sorry but when a USB stick with mp3's on it can totally disable a car something is very wrong with the system as a whole.
People are regularly having to reset the MCU's to make them function, or software updates that cause new bugs I wonder why on earth anyone would have faith in Tesla programmers having drive the car for them. They really need to stop with the stupid easter egg garbage and focus on system stability as the number one priority. No other automotive manufacturer would get away with such flaky systems, I've certainly never owned any car that needed regular systems reboots just to stay functional. The more people are willing to accept this flaky operation as normal the more chance they will never strive to fix it.
They've had six years to get these systems stable and it still hasn't happened.

Reactions: Jan Fiala