TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car wouldn't power up this morning

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SSonnentag, Aug 1, 2018.

1. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

So I had a new experience this morning. I came out to the car to head to work. When I opened the door, both displays stayed black, but after pressing the brake the driver dash screen showed the T logo. Once that was booted the normal message appeared, "Systems are powering up, press brake when this message clears." So I waited, and waited, and waited. The center screen was still dead at this point. So I decided to try a double-scroll-wheel reboot of the center display. Since the screen was dark already I just held down the buttons for about 15 seconds. After another minute or so, the center screen sprang to life with the T logo and soon the car was back to normal. Whew! Off to work I went.

Has anyone else run across a similar situation? Is this just part of driving a computer or is this potentially some other underlying issue that may come back to bite me later?

2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the reset worked for you.
    Did you get a notification about a software update?

3. josher32

josher32 Member

I was having this issue frequently and called Tesla. Turned out my navigation history was too long and it was causing memory constraints. If recurring I’d call Tesla they can walk you through a fix. It’s a pain deleting individual navigation addresses so I just reset all the car settings which to me seemed easier but since doing this haven’t had these issues surface again.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  4. SSonnentag

It's been about 2 weeks since my last update. I always reboot the computer after each update as well.

• Helpful x 1
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Same has happened twice for me, over 18 months.

Long hold on the scroll wheels resolved it.

• Informative x 1
  6. namlio

namlio Member

Same here, it happened once about 3-4 months ago. It seems similar to a computer hanging on boot up and forcing a complete restart seems to solve the problem. I don’t remember this happening in connection with an update.

7. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

This just happened today for the first time (only owned the car for 2 months now). There are a few threads on this topic but this is the most recent. Here are some other threads explaining the same issue.

Summary of the reason this message appears is not conclusive. Solution is to just press both scroll wheels and reboot the car.

I called Tesla support to check the logs to see if they had any idea of the reason and I think I got a new guy on the phone. Told him it happened this morning for the first time; he asked if the car had been at service recently; I said yes a month ago at the service centre for a 2 year service and then mobile support last week for a door handle replacement. He then asked if they had any ideas why it happened....

“Systems Are Powering Up. Press Brake When This Message Clears

Systems are powering up

• Funny x 2
  8. SSonnentag

LOL! That sounds about right. :D

• Funny x 1
  9. dethman

dethman Member

First rule of IT for poorly written software.... Ask the customer to reboot it and hope the issue disappears.

For a while anyway.

10. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

It as happened to me 2 times in my first year of ownership. Both times double thumb scroll reset and brake press eventually fixed it after a couple minutes.

11. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Happened to me for the first time yesterday on our 2017 S 100D. Could be a new "feature" added in a recent release.

Really wish they would allow us to completely disable sleep mode. That used to be an option. Now all you can do is disable sleep mode, except for overnight, when all cars are forced to go to sleep.

12. sw4819284

sw4819284 Member

Got our MS in June, and this happened to us a few times, but it hasn't happened after the first firmware upgrade we got.

13. Ken7

Ken7 Member

Just had this happen as we exited the movie theater tonight and returned to the car. The dark center screen gave me the immediate "uh oh" feeling. It was the 2nd time this happened in the last month. The two finger shuffle brought back life to the screen in about a minute and all was fine.

This behavior is really odd and hopefully this will be addressed in a future firmware update. I was just glad it was only my wife and me and not friends sitting in the back thinking, "So this is what all this money buys?"

• Like x 1
  14. sku100

sku100 Member

This has happened to me about every 2 weeks for the past 9 months. It always resolves with a scroll-wheel reboot, until 3 weeks ago when they had to replace the MCU. It has happened once since the MCU replacement.
    I find this to be the most frustrating aspect of owning my S90D. I have spoken to tech people on multiple occasions and they tell me they are tracking the problem....

• Informative x 1
  15. Cal1

Cal1 Member

I've had this and waited for more than 10 min waiting for it to finish "powering up" I didn't do a reset, just put it in drive and everything started working. This has happened on both our P85 and 90D. Started without a reset. I have used the reset in the past but the last few times it seemed like it didn't do anything during the first 5-10 mins.

16. whitex

whitex Active Member

I'm sure Tesla marketing can spin this into an anti-theft feature. They just need one news story how a thief stole the fob, got in a car, didn't know the 2 finger salute, and was still sitting there waiting for the systems to power up when the cops got there. It will be followed by a bunch of owners complaining their cars don't do that, and how they need an update so their cars don't get stolen. :p

17. Olivierpa

Olivierpa Member

Happened to me today’s as well
    Reboot with 2 scrolls solved the problem