Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wouldn't start (failed 12v battery). Tesla had it towed to service center w/tow damage to front bumper.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife thought she was going to work on July 10th (Sunday) when her car wouldn't even let her in. I knew it was the 12v battery that had failed without warning so contacted roadside assistance and had to text back and forth with them to get it figured out. The end result was the car needed to be towed to the Las Vegas service center. I was able to use a 12v jumper to get the trunk open which allowed the charge cable to be thrown in the back (it wouldn't disconnect from the car) thus the trunk could not be secured. A tow truck showed up and I told the guy I didn't think the car could be safely towed without a flatbed, he said it could with the back tires off the road as well. I had no choice and let him do what he was paid to do.

We were able to pickup the car on Monday July 11th and drove home, on the 12th I noticed that there was paint damage to the front bumper of the car from the tow. I'm worried that Tesla won't want to fix this even though the tow was under duress. I'll post an update once I find out what will be done. Included a nice pic of the B-Pillar that was left filthy inside the car as well.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 123
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I reported this to Tesla roadside assistance who acted as a moderator between me and the Tow Company. The Tow Company accepted full responsibility and is having the bumper repaired on Monday 8/1/2022.

I was extremely disappointed however with Geico who I had talked to about this. I only had the license plate number on the tow truck and there was absolutely no action Geico would take other than saying this was a no fault of mine and I could repair after paying the deductible. I can only assume that if I'm ever in a hit and run and have the license plate, Geico will again do nothing! Time to go shopping for an insurance company I know will fight for me to keep my money (lol right).

• Love
I reported this to Tesla roadside assistance who acted as a moderator between me and the Tow Company. The Tow Company accepted full responsibility and is having the bumper repaired on Monday 8/1/2022.

I was extremely disappointed however with Geico who I had talked to about this. I only had the license plate number on the tow truck and there was absolutely no action Geico would take other than saying this was a no fault of mine and I could repair after paying the deductible. I can only assume that if I'm ever in a hit and run and have the license plate, Geico will again do nothing! Time to go shopping for an insurance company I know will fight for me to keep my money (lol right).
Drop them.

Sounds like good news and bad news. Rarely do tow companies want to take responsibility for anything unless you really press with evidence. You got them to acknowledge :) As for the insurance, sorry to hear Geico was not more responsive. You discovered why some companies have cheaper rates. It often comes down to how they are willing to compensate or help when you actually need them. I won't get into where on the list various insurance companies rank with my wife as it will just result in people getting angry and defensive. Only to say I have been hearing from her for decades about how various insurance companies have tried to cheat her clients out of various types of repairs from accidents. It's sickening sometimes.

Reactions: Pcm888usa

So Geico would handle it as a "nonchargeable" collision claim and you would have to pay whatever your deductible is? I think almost any auto insurance company would handle this the same way. (I'm a Mercury agent in CA.) If the tow company would not repair the solution would be to put it through your own insurance and then have them subrogate to the towing company. It may take a bit, but you should get your deductible back that way. I was hit by an out-of-state semi truck and it worked that way. Not all companies are the same, but Mercury definitely goes after that reiumbursement.