Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wow M3 drag race. Surprising result

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car wow compared an M3 SR+, LR an P. In standing start and rolling drag races.
In standing start result as expected but after the initial get away LR seemed to peg the P and it didn't pull away. In subsequent rolling srarts at increasing speed the LR semec to gain on The P until a 50 mph rolling start where the LR wins over a 1/4 mile!!
I had heard there was not much difference at higher speed but did not expect LR to win! You have to wonder about state of charge...
Looked wet and so tyres probably made a difference.
Also the performance battery might not be in as good condition or as charged as the LR.

Noticed that the performance had tinted rear passenger windows too?

I suspect the difference might be reversed with a 2019 P and a 2021 LR (heatpump). SoC and battery temps needed to make a real judgement.

My P flies with a warm, fully charged battery with the PS4S on. Change any of those things and performance is noticeably worse. No noticeable wheelspin with different (all season) tyres either, yet noticeably slower, the general conclusion seems to be that the traction is so well managed you don't know it is being managed.

I suspect the difference might be reversed with a 2019 P and a 2021 LR (heatpump). SoC and battery temps needed to make a real judgement.

My P flies with a warm, fully charged battery with the PS4S on. Change any of those things and performance is noticeably worse. No noticeable wheelspin with different (all season) tyres either, yet noticeably slower, the general conclusion seems to be that the traction is so well managed you don't know it is being managed.
How does the octovalve make it slower?
Also wouldn't the p- be just as quick/quicker than the performance

Interesting point. I imagine this was done in cold weather. i.e. Recently. So you think the heat pump is chilling the 2021 P battery so its colder than the 2020 LR battery. That might make sense.
Need to see it done again in summer or when they optomise the heat pump battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: pow216
Well I'm staying in the Performance Wating Room!

Whether or not the Performance is worth the extra money over the LR will always be a personal value judgement. I'm sure I value the red brake calipers more than most as nobody else seems to mention them!:cool:

As far as I can tell under all normal/legal driving scenarios, the Performance model wins. Those on the second step of the podeum will always remember how close it was, but those on the top step just remember how good the champagne tasted!

Well I'm staying in the Performance Wating Room!

Whether or not the Performance is worth the extra money over the LR will always be a personal value judgement. I'm sure I value the red brake calipers more than most as nobody else seems to mention them!:cool:

As far as I can tell under all normal/legal driving scenarios, the Performance model wins. Those on the second step of the podeum will always remember how close it was, but those on the top step just remember how good the champagne tasted!

100% correct, and same here - I will remain in the waiting room ! Hope they get the Ever Given shifted today !!

A lot of reaction from LR owners, trying to justify their decision to take 2nd best 🤣 which of course is fine, I would probably do the same 🤣 But strange that they need to post it in the Performance Waiting Room 🤣 LR is 2nd best in looks and performance - period!

The carwow videos are never going to be proper objective tests, they are just entertainment. The refresh m3p in this recent one had a lower soc than the other two cars so it's a pointless exercise, other than drumming up more views for their channel and giving them more publicity for their business. Which is why they do it of course.

Interesting point. I imagine this was done in cold weather. i.e. Recently. So you think the heat pump is chilling the 2021 P battery so its colder than the 2020 LR battery. That might make sense.
Need to see it done again in summer or when they optomise the heat pump battery.
It was a cold, wet day in January, so hardly the best conditions and the pack temperatures of each car would also have an effect if they weren't identical. The Pirellis on the M3P you can hear were having traction issues. So many variables, it's hardly a conclusive test.

Reactions: CDN-Build
100% correct, and same here - I will remain in the waiting room ! Hope they get the Ever Given shifted today !!

A lot of reaction from LR owners, trying to justify their decision to take 2nd best 🤣 which of course is fine, I would probably do the same 🤣 But strange that they need to post it in the Performance Waiting Room 🤣 LR is 2nd best in looks and performance - period!
Methinks the lady doth emoji too much.

Watching this video and the Bjorn tests would concern me as a potential performance buyer. Why is the P acceleration so diminished when under 80% SOC? Seems to confirm the LR is the better car for UK real world driving on all counts?

The carwow videos are never going to be proper objective tests, they are just entertainment. The refresh m3p in this recent one had a lower soc than the other two cars so it's a pointless exercise, other than drumming up more views for their channel and giving them more publicity for their business. Which is why they do it of course.

Actually it shows what Tesla have always done, put massive marks up on the 'performance' versions to hit higher profit margins.

Apart from battery size is no real hardware difference between the base cars and the 'performance' cars in any of the Tesla range - the braking test really showed this - red paint doesn't make the car stop any quicker. The price difference between the P and base cars is nearly all pure profit for Tesla.

Third parties have also demonstrated the 'smaller' induction motors Tesla use can output much higher BHP figures but Tesla simply limit performance with software to push more sales to the 'performance' versions.

None of this is ofcourse new, every manufactures do it and Tesla need all the profit they can get. But that doesn't change the fact the SR+ Model 3 is by far the best 'value' car Tesla sells. Sub 14 second 1/4 mile time of the SR+ is FASTER than STI Scoobies that won WRCs from the 1990s.

If you want the fastest car Tesla sell get the 'P' version, but just don't expect it to be the best value car Tesla sells, not by a long way.

Look we all choose what’s right for us. There are no right answers. Of course the video is just a snapshot of so many variables. I would say though, with a LR with boost, why is a P £10k more? That’s a rhetorical question for Tesla. If folks want to pay that extra that’s fine, but from a cost perspective for Tesla, this must nearly all be profit over a LR.

There is literally a couple of milliseconds performance differences between a P and a LR boost.

Actually it shows what Tesla have always done, put massive marks up on the 'performance' versions to hit higher profit margins.

Apart from battery size is no real hardware difference between the base cars and the 'performance' cars in any of the Tesla range - the braking test really showed this - red paint doesn't make the car stop any quicker. The price difference between the P and base cars is nearly all pure profit for Tesla.

Third parties have also demonstrated the 'smaller' induction motors Tesla use can output much higher BHP figures but Tesla simply limit performance with software to push more sales to the 'performance' versions.

None of this is ofcourse new, every manufactures do it and Tesla need all the profit they can get. But that doesn't change the fact the SR+ Model 3 is by far the best 'value' car Tesla sells. Sub 14 second 1/4 mile time of the SR+ is FASTER than STI Scoobies that won WRCs from the 1990s.

If you want the fastest car Tesla sell get the 'P' version, but just don't expect it to be the best value car Tesla sells, not by a long way.
The red brakes don't stop the P any shorter. They run cooler when you're pushing the car hard. That was another throw away from the Carwow team which will just confuse people more. Track Mode is really the only reason to get a P. You can upgrade a LR with better bits for the same money, but there's no point if you want to track it as you need TM for that. Yes, it's all about profit of course.