Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wow M3 drag race. Surprising result

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of repeating myself, 'value' is a personal judgement. Better value for one person is not necessarily better for another with different priorities and financial circumstances.

I can understand why many might judge the differences between the LR and P not to be significant enough to justify the price jump and I am not in a position to disagree with them.

What remains fact, is that the 'Top of the Range' P is quicker than the LR under all normal/legal UK driving situations.

My theory is that acceleration/speed differences are typically only important to those following behind.... and even more so for those in second place. The one at the front is just happy being there! ;)

When I decided to buy my M3 i choose the LR not because can't afford the Performance, but because for Uk Street don't worth the difference.
I make red calipers to the authorised Tesla bodyshop(£450) and on top I put another £1500 for BA.
I meet many Performance M3 but, lucky me, no one want to race. For ICE... don't worth to mention nothing, we know what was the final result.

Attachments

• 20210328_144819.jpg
    20210328_144819.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 53
Actually it shows what Tesla have always done, put massive marks up on the 'performance' versions to hit higher profit margins.

Every manufacturer does this .. it certainly isn't just a Tesla thing. In car manufacturing the least profit is made on the smallest cheapest cars in basic trim ... a bit more on the luxury extras models of those cars but the most is from the high end sport models with top level trim and toys etc. This also explains why the legacy car makers are not presently making millions of small good value EVs. The transition for them is massively expensive (even though, in large scale production, the sum of the components should if anything be less than an ICE by now) so they need to get their profit making models out there before they risk going full electric with huge numbers of small efficient value cars that will inevitably have minuscule margins.

Reactions: CDN-Build
Worth also noting that when the Model 3 first appeared in the UK, the LR/AWD and Performance (often referred as stealth or P-) were (not withstanding the 'binning' of rear motors) identical vehicles bar the software and the badge on the rear. The performance was only a few ££££ more than the LR/AWD. To add to the confusion, Tesla actually dropped the LR/AWD for a brief period and quite a few LR/AWD orders were upgraded to base performance.

What people now think of as the performance was a further iirc £5-6k option added to the base performance - the Performance Upgrade Pack (PUP). Tesla soon dropped the base performance and made the Performance Upgrade Pack standard. Some anecdotal reports that the base performance was a quicker car to 60 than the performance with PUP.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
As interesting as that video was there's so many variables that could have affected the outcome. Mainly SOC which has already been discussed but I suppose it was made for click bait views, and will probably succeed in doing so.
I fall into the camp who could have purchased the performance if I wanted to, but opted for the LR (pre heat pump/refresh) for a number of different reasons. This is a personal rationale and totally subjective.

Firstly the range on the LR is to me a no brainer. The sr+ would have been adequate for the commutes I do but I wanted that additional buffer, being my first EV car. The P at the time was less and I knew I'm probably not the most efficient driver, but even on longer journeys I've not had range anxiety, which I can only put down to the LR's additional miles.

Secondly, as much I loved the added benefits of the aeros, I knew I was going to get aftermarket alloys. I had read a number of people having issues with their performance wheels (which a lot of P owners changed, mainly due to pot holes, buckling, less range or harsher ride etc) I would have changed too most likely for 19's, which once again would've been a waste of money having 'paid' extra for them on the p.

Thirdly the brakes which are totally upgradeable and was another factor that played it's part. The days have gone where the car can't stop when it's capable of hitting silly speeds. If I didn't like the way the LR stopped I always knew I could change them. Turns out with regen and the motors slowing the car down, I rarely have to touch them, even when driving 'spirited'.

Lasty, I knew if I felt the LR was 'sluggish' for my liking I could always get the AB. So far definitely not needed to, will most likely get it when I'm bored of what the car already does. I've not raced another tesla (yet) but I'm sure it will happen one day where a P leaves me by a second or so. Until then I'm fine with my LR and leaving the excited individuals who want to race against a tesla.

All of these changes made no sense in getting the P over the LR, unless I wanted bragging rights or track mode. I don't need either and apart from the red line at the back and TM, there's nothing on the P that I can't have on mine. I rather do these changes myself if and when I need to but it just happens the LR is a beast of a car. Not to say the p isn't, but I preferred putting the extra money into their stocks ;)

Oh I completely forgot to add, I also stuck on the pointless spoiler for aerodynamics or whatever reason tesla came up with on mine😅

Reactions: Jez_GB and El joe
Does the P not have different suspension than the LR, or are all the references to a harsher ride just down to the lower profile wheels?
It has marginally lower ride and thicker anti-roll bars but the main difference in ride comfort comes from the 20” wheels over the 18s. I’ve got my P on 19” for the winter rubber and do quite enjoy the slightly softer ride.

It has marginally lower ride and thicker anti-roll bars but the main difference in ride comfort comes from the 20” wheels over the 18s. I’ve got my P on 19” for the winter rubber and do quite enjoy the slightly softer ride.
Anti roll bars are the same between the LR and P and in any case they wouldn't affect the ride quality. We've got one of each (LR & P) and I don't find the LR is much better in terms of ride quality over the P. The only way to sort out that out properly is with aftermarket coilovers.

@Gatsojon and Electric Dream - thanks for the clarification both.

Pothole anxiety* had stopped me considering the P as an alternative to the LR, but the recent price hike has taken away any lingering doubts anyway.

*(Having lived through the appalling BMW debacle and replacing 5x wheels over a two year period before BMW admitted there was any problem with their tin-foil rims).

Really dislike it when people start bringing up what people can and can’t afford, with an underlying assumption one ‘can’t afford a P’. It’s so condescending and unnecessary.
Not sure if that is aimed at me or not as I did make an earlier comment regarding the balance of priorities and financial circumstances. So for the sake of clarity, I completely accept that their will be many who could easily afford the P who would still choose the LR (or SR+} because of their own balance of priorities. There will also be many who stretch themselves to purchase a P because they personally value things differently. Each to their own.

At the time I placed my order for a Model 3 long range in April 2020 the long range version appeared to provide the best "bang for the bucks" with best range, 18 inch wheels for softer ride with better pothole resistance and the aero's to extend range a little bit. I wanted white seats in white car with a towhitch. It ticked all my boxes. Tow hitch wasn't an option with the P and was not retro-fittable (according the Tesla). Perhaps the only 'waste' was buying FSD - dunno if that will ever pay off?
Unlikely to go to a track let alone participate so that element of a P was unimportant to me.
It took until September before I could collect it from Southampton docks, long wait, but I liked what I got.

Reactions: Gatsojon and dakang
A lot of reaction from LR owners, trying to justify their decision to take 2nd best 🤣 which of course is fine, I would probably do the same 🤣 But strange that they need to post it in the Performance Waiting Room 🤣 LR is 2nd best in looks and performance - period!
And LR is best in vfm (by miles at current prices), ride quality, road noise and practicality. The Carwow vid that sparked this debate (and some people are in denial at the results) just confirms the other dozen or so drag comparisons between these cars. But there are always reasons put forward why the tests were "biased" in favour of the fractionally slower car.

There are some good reasons to get the P. You might want to do regular track days and mess around with the track setting modes. You might simply like the looks of red calipers, bigger wheels and a stick-on spoiler. Of course it is faster too, both off the line and max speed (if you can make any use of the top end). It just isn't THAT much faster as shown in the video and even closer with AB.

It was a cold, wet day in January, so hardly the best conditions and the pack temperatures of each car would also have an effect if they weren't identical. The Pirellis on the M3P you can hear were having traction issues. So many variables, it's hardly a conclusive test.
There are plenty of other P vs LR vs LR+ drag tests out there. They all give the same results, so the Carwow test seems legit to me. the Carwow test is one of the few throwing in the SR+ into the mix too, which is what makes it interesting.

Reactions: Mperkins28