TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon Brake Discs

Discussion in 'Roadster: Performance' started by Perrin21, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Perrin21

Perrin21 Member

#1 Perrin21, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Hi I started this thread ages ago and it quickly veered off into a carbon brake pad discussion about carbontech pads. I am interested to discuss if anyone has gone the carbon disc route with their car. My reasons for this are here
    1, they don't seem prohibitively expensive at £3000 for the front (incl 4 pot calipers) and £2000 for the rear (using stock calipers).
    2, they will reduce the unsprung weight of the car and improve handling.
    3, the reduction in unsprung weight will improve the 0-60 of the car in theory.
    4, the reduction of unsprung weight will improve the efficiency of the car and could improve range slightly.
    5, braking performance will be improved
    6, they will suit the supercar status of the car.
    7, they should last the lifetime of the car.
    8, improved efficiency and reduced unsprung weight could also reduce temps slightly at the pem,battery and motor.

My question is this, has anyone purchased the freno carbon brake kit and did you notice any improvements as listed above? By how much?

Carbon Front Brake kit (Elise, Exige, 2-Eleven) [FREFRCDP] - €3,245.00 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

2. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

They don't fit the Tesla, only the Lotus. The rotors are different sizes and bolt pattern.

3. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

If you take a look on the rotors they have multiple bolt pattern

4. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

And they are all 4 bolt so they still won't fit.

5. Perrin21

Perrin21 Member

I'm sure they can be provided with different hole patterns.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#6 wiztecy, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Unless your racing the thing constantly, why spend that much dough? Plus the rotor size is a bit smaller than the stock Tesla rotor as MAUTO indicated. Just invest in the custom 2-piece rotor (CRF) group buy, a set of Carbotech brake pads and call it a done deal. Of course more braking is always better, however, I have the braking on the Roadster right where I'm confident, happy and beyond pleased. Since the hat is composed of aluminum, it also reduces un-sprung weight at the wheels. And if you're trying to go after un-sprung weight, I'd first attack that with your wheels (for acceleration/braking rotational weight). If you're trying to reduce the load or make your suspension work more efficient (which reducing un-sprung weigh aids in), I'd put in the MonoBall spiracle bushings before putting down the money for CF rotors. I'd also want ones at least the same size or bigger than what's on there now.

Owners who're running them on the track are happy too. The group buy price is only $1600 dollars (US) and the cost of the pads all the way around. This may be the last round being made as well....

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

7. Perrin21

Perrin21 Member

Because if it can be done for under £5000 its worth it as it will improve acceleration, handling, and range a little by improving efficiency. Its also a nice upgrade that will also add value and have function. I like the idea of reducing unsprung weight on the car.