Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Ceramic brake kit for Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

the website now advertises this upgrade. Is it yet available ( it says mid 2022) ? Who are the suppliers ?

I make June to be mid 2022. Where is the ceramic brake offering ? It is now nine months since the Model S Plaid Plus was scrapped, and Tesla promised a high spec Plaid with upgrades to systems, brakes etc. So, where is it ? If you ordered a Plaid Plus and only got a Plaid delivered, you might be pretty annoyed by now ? They need the upgrades to deliver the sub 2 second acceleration on which all the marketing was based. Where are the brakes ?

Still no sign of the new brakes ? It is over a year simce the cancellation of the Plaid Plus; over a year since the launch of the Plaid; over a year since suggested that an “enhanced upgrade” ( tires, brakes, systems) would be needed to achieve the stated sub 2 sec 0-60 quoted. Where are the new brakes ? I make it at least “mid 2022”

Brake upgrade has nothing to do with achieving >2.0s 0-60, which is already possible and has been recorded by several testers.

I believe you are thinking of the claimed 200mph+ top speed which has been said to require paid hardware upgrades (presumably brakes and tires).

Yamanote, the Tesla webpage says the new brakes are available “mid 2022”, which must be just about now. There are multiple complaints about the quality of the brakes on the Plaid, and better brakes long promised.

Of course brakes have nothing to do with acceleration ( though the reduced weight of CC brakes might marginally), however relevant if you then need to stop quickly ! No, I was generally referring to the whole systems (brakes, tires, hardware) that effectively replace the Plaid Plus, or at least bring the bog standard Plaid up to the performance that had been promised for the Plus.

Perhaps you aren't familiar with how Tesla operates but I can name a million other things that Tesla has been late on, and maybe one or two things they were actually on time with, so this is hardly a surprise.

You stated:
They need the upgrades to deliver the sub 2 second acceleration on which all the marketing was based.
over a year since suggested that an “enhanced upgrade” ( tires, brakes, systems) would be needed to achieve the stated sub 2 sec 0-60 quoted

Again, there are no upgrades necessary to "achieve the stated sub 2 sec 0-60". The Plaid as it sits will do it as sold today *under very specific conditions* - but without any upgrades necessary.

I've attached a screenshot of the differences Plaid+ was originally slated to have. There was never any reference to improved brakes, tires, or hardware, apart from superior range and power/acceleration, which are obviously not things that they can bring to Plaid short of offering a 4680 battery swap.

Regardless, there are plenty of aftermarket brake upgrades available ranging from iron to carbon ceramics at a lower cost than Tesla's offering.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 2.03.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 2.03.25 AM.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Trust me, I'm just as disappointed as many others that the + was canceled, but the + was really just about the 4680 battery. I'm hopeful that one day there will be a more track oriented version like one spotted at the Nurburgring with the active spoiler, but we'll see...