Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon ceramic brakes

Graham Jones

Mar 21, 2021
London
Will Tesla move towards Carbon ceramic brakes on all their EVs ? The weight saving is phenomenal. The environmental reasons are solid: less brake dust, increased range. The performance criteria are pretty compelling: working immediately from cold, no corrosion, less judder. And with heavy cars, better performing brakes....well, reduce stopping distance. Factor in lifetime cost ( possibly just one set of ceramics for life of car) and the arguments for ceramics are pretty compelling ?

And might be adopted across all EVs over time ? Tesla could lead the way with early adoption.

Anyone got any thoughts ?

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
SF Bay Area (East Bay), CA
The Next Gen Roadster has carbon ceramic brakes (from what we've seen of the actual car and the model they sell on the shop.tesla.com web site). I suspect that the Plaid+ version of the Model S will also include carbon ceramic brakes...

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
All true and positive points about CCBs, but until the cost comes wayyyy down, they won’t make sense on anything except the Roadster IMO. Regen/one pedal driving already renders brake use to “limited” so making them std on the S, even Plaid, seems unlikely. A high priced option, maybe.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love me some CCBs, but most people wouldn’t even know/care.

Graham Jones

Mar 21, 2021
London
Prices of CC brakes will come down dramatically as volumes increase. What level would make them practical ? $1000 each corner ? Or less than that ? If you only need one set for the lifetime of the car, that will make them more competitive

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC