TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon Fiber a dust magnet?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by dhrivnak, Mar 31, 2012.

1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Does anyone else have any challenges keep their Roadster clean? I barely get done washing it and it is aready dusty. It is as if the dirt is attracted to the carbon fiber. I have tried two different waxes and I have never had a car that attracts dirt and dust so fast.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Is there a high pollen count there right now? It might not be dust.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Yes spring has exploded in NE Tennessee, and I agree most of what I am seeing is pollen. But it is far worse with the Roadster than the wife's Prius or my parked Avalanche.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Not so much magnetic, but electrostatic, yes.

I remember visiting the Menlo Park store in the early days when the renovation was still kinda fresh. In a beam of sunlight you could see the dust in the air changing direction to land on a Roadster.

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

@dhrivnak I've always wondered if this was my imagination or something real. I was finally convinced when I drove down a dirt road and came back covered with dust. 5 minutes later I drove my wife's Toyota down the same path and came back clean! There must be something to make it not so dust friendly? Anti-electrostatic polish?

6. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

I've noticed the same - my Roadster gets covered in a fine film of dust faster than any other car I've owned. I thought it may have been from construction in the underground parking garage at work, but the electrostatic charge on CF makes perfect sense. I bought a California Car Duster and give it a quick sweep every other day. Problem solved.