Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Body?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently discovered that the piece between the trunk lid and the rear window is not CF on my EU 2012 2.5..

What do you mean? Do you have a pic? What do you think it is if not CF? Such as with the front CF grill/louvers they appear not to be CF but actually are, same with the arm supports which is why they cost so much. As for CF and Fiberglass repair, its the same thing/concept. Its a matte with resin. I've done CF work on my boat to add strength in areas that would crack/fatigue with fiberglass. No biggie.

Well, here are some photos of that piece, I'd say that it is not Carbon Fiber.
20160307_083829.jpg
20160307_083835.jpg
20160307_083843.jpg

That part is NOT carbon fiber. It is SMC. Sheet molding compound-just like the body on the Elise. It is just finely chopped fiberglass mixed with resin and molded into shape. The inner door structures are SMC as well. The mirrors and charge port cover are ABS. The bumpers are a flexible plastic. In fact the only part of the entire body that should be considered carbon fiber is the top roll bar cover-everything else has at least three times more fiberglass than carbon fiber. But that issue should have its own thread.

Here's the link to the CF talk where we can move/take the discussion to.... This was discussed before where there was disagreement about if the hood of the Roadster was actually CF or not. Turns out it is all CF.

Carbon Fiber Body? - Page 2

I'm pretty sold its CF, if the inners were not black I'd then have some doubt.

Here's the Tesla PDF on the CF molding / injection process and a discussion about some of the parts:
http://www.speautomotive.com/SPEA_CD/SPEA2009/pdf/KEY/K4.pdf

Last edited:
It actually seems to be a composite of fiberglass and carbon fiber laid up with epoxy resin. So not what I would consider full carbon fiber in the pure sense.

Typical layup and processing for Tesla Roadster CF Body Panels
Outer layer is continuous non woven glass fiber veil or tissue
2nd layer is Zoltek Panex 35 carbon fiber +45º/45º unidirectional 50K Tow fabric, tricot stitched
3rd layer is continuous non woven glass for infusion Unifilo
4th layer is Zoltek Panex 35 carbon fiber 45º/+45º unidirectional 50K Tow fabric, tricot stitched
Upper and lower CF unidirectional fabric layers mirror each other to balance stresses and minimize
distortion
RTM resin is 12,000 to 15,000 cps BPA epoxy mixed at tool injection port with amine hardener

It actually seems to be a composite of fiberglass and carbon fiber laid up with epoxy resin. So not what I would consider full carbon fiber in the pure sense.

Especially when layer #3 (fiberglass) is at least 75% of the thickness. Even more % by weight. The major ingredient is what defines the product. Its like calling your gold plated jewelry gold- not quite accurate.

Especially when layer #3 (fiberglass) is at least 75% of the thickness. Even more % by weight. The major ingredient is what defines the product. Its like calling your gold plated jewelry gold- not quite accurate.

Interesting enough, my Tesla CF/glass blend hardtop feels light as a feather (soft top feels as if it weighs more) whereas my full fiberglass Lotus Elise hardtop which is 1/8 less in size/length feels like a lead weight.

This is an interesting discussion about carbon fiber v. fiberglass, but could it please be moved to the thread "Carbon Fiber Body?" started by supersnoop? I keep thinking: At last! News about the 3.0! But it's not. Thanks.

[ Mod note: ...done... ]

Last edited by a moderator: