Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon fiber hood on M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here installed a carbon fiber hood on their M3? Did you use hood pins to secure? And if so, where did you secure the hood pins to the body at?

Thanks in advance

Sure there are. I see a lot of pictures of M3s with carbon fiber hoods. No hood pins though.

m3.jpg

The price you would have to cough up for the little weight savings you would gain on an already thin sheet of metal is not worth it IMO

but if your set on doing this mod because you want to customize your car and/or stand out from all the white m3, sure go for it.

You can use a hood pin but it will require drilling on hood and possible nose frame.
A good aftermarket company shouldn't require you to use a hood pin, they should be able to get the mold of the underside hood perfect to you can reuse the latching mechanism.

hope this helps

Sure there are. I see a lot of pictures of M3s with carbon fiber hoods. No hood pins though.

View attachment 575345
I guess I should have been clearer with “M3,” meaning Model 3. (Tesla) Yes, I’ve seen many pictures of cars with carbon fiber hoods, some Teslas, but most carbon fiber hood manufacturers include a note about recommending hood pins. This is why I was wondering if anyone here had done it, and where they placed the hood pins (if they added them) given the lack of typical metal framing under the hood on an M3 vs a standard car.

Thanks

Reactions: cucubits
The price you would have to cough up for the little weight savings you would gain on an already thin sheet of metal is not worth it IMO

but if your set on doing this mod because you want to customize your car and/or stand out from all the white m3, sure go for it.

You can use a hood pin but it will require drilling on hood and possible nose frame.
A good aftermarket company shouldn't require you to use a hood pin, they should be able to get the mold of the underside hood perfect to you can reuse the latching mechanism.

hope this helps

Thanks. I’m considering for looks vs weight, as I have other carbon fiber parts on the car. My understanding from reading around on CF hoods is not so much the fit requiring pins, but the fact it’s the mounting bonded to the fiber that holds the latch and potential separation from the latch itself. (So pins as backup) Wondering if anyone here has experience on a Tesla with CF hoods or using hoods pins on a Model 3. Thanks again.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I've also noted this trend in the postings I've seen with Model 3 carbon fiber hoods: Manufacturers posting pictures of the carbon fiber hoods on the Model 3 with no hood pins, then when you look at the details/order pages, a note buried in there somewhere calling out the requirement for hood pins:
HoodPins2.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
I seen a blue model 3 with carbon hood and trunk. The hood looked cool. Had no pins.

The trunk I think looks better with just a carbon spoiler.

Thanks for the reply and info. I've seen one Model 3 with both a carbon fiber hood and trunk. There were images with both as carbon fiber, then after they did a wrap between the hood and trunk over crossbar above the windows to tie the black together, which looked really slick with the contrast. I've only seen one option for a full carbon fiber trunk though, and it was a little on the pricey side, so not sure if it's because it is the only option out there.

I do also agree that a nice carbon fiber spoiler on the back looks really good. (which is the option I went with)

Thanks again

It seems like it would be easier to just get a competent wrap company to wrap it in carbon fiber look wrap, since the goal is no hood pins and you are considering it primarily for the look.

Thanks. I considered a wrap and decided I'd much rather have actual CF for the hood. I'm actually fine with hood pins, and have narrowed down which ones I am considering, but am looking for input on if anyone here has done them, and if so, where they secured the hood pins to under the hood, since there is not the typical metal framing around the engine compartment in the Model 3 that you would have in a typical car.

I'm partially answering your question.
I've done it on my '68 Mustang

not on a Tesla. but the steps are the same.

You need a christmass tree drill (aka drill-stree step)
What kind of hood pins did you end up ordering?

Thanks. I'm thinking the Quik Latch QL-38's for the pins, as they are a relatively small footprint, strong reviews, are black so they blend with CF, and I like the locking mechanism itself. I'm feeling good with the steps on installing and have the tooling to do it, except for the identification of a good place to secure the pins to the actual car frame itself inside the frunk area. (If only the Model 3 had all the same mounting options under the hood that a Mustang, or any standard car, has. :) )