TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon fiber rear spoiler on p85

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by tennisman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. tennisman

tennisman Member

Has anybody who ordered a P85 which comes with the rear carbon fiber spoiler as standard equipment asked them to NOT attach it when the car is delivered? Not sure if I like the look on the car, but also want to get it - as I've paid for it already. It retails for about $1500 and if I paid for it, I think I'm entitled to get it, as they will not credit me for the cost of it. Thoughts?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

It finishes the P ..... IMO.

Keep it and enjoy a distinguishing characteristic.

3. lczand

lczand Member

I have the spoiler on my P85+, and believe that it is functional at higher speeds exerting downward pressure on the rear of the car.

4. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

If you don’t like it after you see it, it is easily removed with dental floss. It’s adhered w/3M tape.

5. CarlK

CarlK Member

Why not? It is functional and makes the car look more distinctive especially if you have a light color car like mine. :smile:

6. albiefett

albiefett Member

I was in the same situation, as im not such a high-end performance guy, and usually dont like the look of speed racer accessories.

In the end i just got lazy and just left it on, although i thought about selling the spoiler after purchase...

They are going for anywhere from $500-$800 on EBAY. Difficult to track final prices on this site.

Now that Ive had it for the past 3 months, i have to say i do like the look, as it seems to fit the form and feel.

And with more Model S's hitting the streets, it's nice to have little things that make you stand out.

Cant really say how it affects performance though... mine's just FAST!!!

7. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Also have mixed feeling about the look - undecided so far. Wish they would apply credit if you choose not to have it.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

9. tennisman

tennisman Member

Well, heard back from the Tesla store manager as well as talked to Tesla HQ - they will NOT deliver the car with the spoiler not attached. I don't understand what the issue is - I will have paid for it already if I buy the P85 (as it's included in the price) - and I stated I was willing to pay to have it attached to my car (if I decided down the road that I wanted to do that) - Frankly, I think that they are afraid that I will sell it after I receive it (and that they would lose a $1500 sale to someone). Frankly, this is the first issue I have had with Tesla in the purchase process - just disappointed that they couldn't accomodate this seemingly easy request. What they did say they could do would be to configure the car without the spoiler and if down the road I wanted it, I could pay $1,500!! I thought about having the car come in with the spoiler, and they said if I didn't like it, they could remove it - probably removing it would not be an issue, but with the paint being so new, the type of 3m adhesive they use, I didn't want my car to be the ONE that has an issue.....Again, just disappointed that they couldn't accomodate a n easy request on a $100k+ car purchase....

10. lloyds

lloyds Member

Leave it on, it adds a bit of aggressiveness to the sleek profile of the P85+

11. HHHH

HHHH Member

Agreed, leave it on

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This has been discussed before and the answer was the same. Get it with the spoiler on, and take it off later if you don't care for it. I took delivery of mine with the spoiler. I planned to remove it, but it's growing on me. My wife initially pointed to it and said "that's an interesting choice." Even she's warming up to it. It's a pretty minor thing. I can understand Tesla's policy, honestly. When I chose black calipers, I didn't ask for some red paint. If I opted out of the Alacantra headliner, I wouldn't want a sheet of that. I realize it's not precisely the same thing, but you get the idea.

13. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

The car almost seem unfinished without the spoiler

14. CarlK

CarlK Member

+++ leave it on. Tesla is selling you a car not car parts.

15. Aussie

Aussie Member

My spoiler is in the garage. In my opinion the best place for it. I have no need for additional downward pressure at high speeds, it looks ugly and decreases range. The main purpose is to show others that you have paid more for the car.