Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a decade of research, design, testing and perfecting, ESE Carbon is excited to announce that the FIRST and ONLY fully carbon fiber wheels for Tesla Model S and Model 3 are now shipping! ONLY 17 LBS, our E2 carbon fiber wheels are currently available in 19x8.5 with additional sizes and designs coming later this year.

ESE_2022_New Wheel_2.jpeg

The Specs
  • 19 x 8.5 available now (fits Model S and Model 3)
  • Plaid options coming soon
  • Wheel Offset: ET-35
  • Bolt Pattern: 5 x 120 or 5 x 114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1
wheel.jpg

Lightweight
  • Only 17 pounds
  • Up to 45% weight reduction per wheel
Sophisticated
  • Bespoke wheels have perfectly woven carbon fibers
  • Hand layup and TFP carbon fiber placement
  • Clear gloss coated and UV resistant
Durable
  • Road tested
  • Radial (pothole) & lateral (curb) impact tested
  • Cold impact tested
  • Meets or exceeds SAE standards for alloy wheels
  • Get the full report here
Picture1.png

Increased Range & Efficiency
  • Lowered rotational inertia
  • Average 45% weight reduction per wheel
  • Decreased watt-hours per mile (Wh/mi)
Performance
  • 5.3% faster lap time
  • 3.6% shorter braking distance

Tesla_High Res.jpg

Click here if you’re interested in ordering E2 carbon fiber wheels now.

Interested in wheels for your Plaid? Contact us to get on our waitlist.

Additional questions? Check our FAQs: FAQs - ESE Carbon

Interested in setting up a group buy? Contact Mike at ESE

Proudly designed & made in the U.S.A. 🇺🇸

@DayTrippin , you're not a buzz kill at all! We understand your concerns around durability and failure and this is something ESE Carbon has definitely addressed. Safety is our #1 priority. We have extensively engineered and tested the E2 wheels before bringing them to market, putting in over a decade of research and engineering to get the E2s to this point. A few things to note:
  • These are highly engineered, high-quality wheels that have been subjected to extensive laboratory testing per SAE J3204 standards and our own proving ground testing. You can read more about it here or download the full Impact Testing Report here.
  • E2s pass the SAE J175 lateral “curb” impact test at a heavy sedan load rating, which means they do not experience a catastrophic failure even when simulating an event (accident) that would make the wheel (or any comparable aluminum or steel wheel) unserviceable.
Glad you are doing the testing.

That still doesn't change my point. The issue is potentially after some wear and tear, when the wheel has some chips, deep scratches, etc. That is when the failures can occur. When printing, most people should be fine.

I think an excerpt from the article I referenced sums it up nicely. While it addresses CF wheels on motorcycles, a lot still applies to cars. Cars can put even more stress on the wheels than motorcycles as they have a wider contact patch, more weight and as we know a lot of torque from the motors.

"Remember, these are high performance items designed and destined for the track, and in that specific environment, they undoubtedly excel. If I were scratching for holeshots and podiums, I would reach for a carbon fiber wheel catalog with nary a second thought. Though you can certainly run them on the streets without incident, in this setting there is a fine line between performance and durability. Railing them at high speeds along a weathered mountain pass while bolted to a bike capable of 80 ft/lbs of torque for thousands of miles has subjected them to things they might not encounter along a closed circuit. Things like repeated exposure to rocks and debris, including solvents and environmental contaminants that may contribute to their deterioration as well as the increased mileage (I had 20k+ on this five-year-old wheel) they may never see on a track bike. There’s a reason why MotoGP bikes replace their alloy wheels every other race. Hmm…."

Again, not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just be aware of the risks going in. I had a CF wheel fail after 2 years of relatively light street use on my motorcycle. Didn't result in as a severe get off like the motojournalist, but it did result in damage to my bike, about 4k.

One of the best adages I heard when I started racing years ago was just because it is good on the track doesn't mean it will be good on the street. So if buying any CF wheels for the street, go in with your eyes wide open. Inspect your wheels for anything that might compromise the integrity on a very frequent basis. You kerb the wheels and you might have just started something that becomes and issue later one. Murphy's law says that a failure will come at the most inopportune time.

Reactions: mswlogo and Mash
They may be beautiful but as any person with serious racing experience knows, they will totally mess up your suspension settings.
You will need to start from 0 and believe it or not, inertia in rims is useful, on track we have gone back to heavier rims several times, on bikes and cars.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
@$2495 per wheel for a model 3 .. thats $10K for a car. There are people actually paying for this ? All the weight savings are meaningless at this price point .. just put the heavier wheels and keep moving.
@BigDBoy Carbon Fiber wheels aren't for everyone, that's for sure! The good news is that there are plenty of wheels to choose from at lower price points if cost is the main focus.

Wheels and wheel design, elicit a range of emotions. There are thousands of designs, colors, and materials with pricing up to $20k/set! As noted previously, CF wheels are not for everyone and given the wide range of preferences, it is impossible for one design to please everyone.

The E2 was designed to complement and accent the look of the Tesla S and Model 3. Feedback from Tesla owners indicated the desire for a simple, elegant design that delivered a performance advantage. The E2 accomplishes this goal.

When we rolled up to the recent TeslaCon show at Cape Canaveral last month, the E2 received only positive comments. For 2023, we will soon have a new E3 wheel in 20x9, 20x10 and 20x11 sizes. The E3 is sexy as hell, while delivering even more performance benefits.

We respect that owners like you have choices and hope you can find a set of wheels that meet your individual needs.