Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's impressive. Seems it would be well worth going to them to have the tire mounting and balancing done.

As plans stand now I'm going to go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 high performance all season tires. With these wheels I don't want to be changing tires every winter although the Hunter Revolution system appears to have no risk to the rims when tire changes are made.
Are the CEC DWS's a good daily driver tire? I am not familiar with them. Also what size are you going with? 255.40/20? I was going to keep my 19's for winter and dump the staggered 21's.

Last edited:
Read the reviews on Tirerack - they get pretty good reviews.

I may end up getting the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's (K140) vs the Michelin PSS's they are 63% cheaper and performed just as well as the PSS's in a Car & Driver review. About $180 per tire verse ~$400ish for the PSS. The way I drive I have to get them every six months anyway... the cuts my running costs down significantly..

Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 - Comparison Tests

In Tireracks.com tests, the Hankook had the lowest rolling resistance as well.

Tire Line
Test
MPG*
Gallons/Year
@ 15,000 Miles
% vs. Most Efficient
Tire MPG Gallons Efficiency

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position 28.9 519.0 -4.84%
Continental ExtremeContact DW 29.8 503.4 -1.68%
Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 30.3 495.0 -- (Most efficient)
Pirelli P Zero Nero GT 29.7 505.1 -2.02%
*Our evaluation used Linear Logic ScanGauge II automotive computers to record fuel consumption, and Race Technology DL1 data loggers to record true distance travelled.

While none of the tires in this test were designed with low rolling resistance as a high priority, we did find a difference in observed vehicle fuel economy across the group. Based on our results the 1.4 mile per gallon difference between our lowest and highest observed fuel economy would result in an annual difference of 24 gallons of premium gasoline. At the current cost of $4.00/gallon, it would amount to an annual difference of $96 for drivers driving 15,000 miles per year.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
True, but its not $150 per tire improvement when the Hankook is right on top of it. Thats an additionally $600 every six months -- not worth it for a daily driver. It's kinda like buying Nike shoes -great branding and great marketing, but I don't care that Michelin is used at the XX Road Race - when the Hankook very close in specs for over half the price. MEH....

Obviously its subjective but according to tire rack the V12 is rated 13th the PSS is rated 1st and the DW is rated 4th. I'm going PSS personally but if I was on a budget id go DW from my positive past experience with them in dry and wet.

Obviously its subjective but according to tire rack the V12 is rated 13th the PSS is rated 1st and the DW is rated 4th. I'm going PSS personally but if I was on a budget id go DW from my positive past experience with them in dry and wet.
Thats true - did you check out the delta in score between 1 and 13?

The PSS's scored 81.3 out of 100 points and cost $1474 for 4 and the Hankooks scored 72.6 out of 100 points and cost $609 for 4. Thats a delta of 8.7 points, if I were racing this car that might mean something, but I'm not and each additional point costs me $100 ($865/ 8.7). Again MEH... Lowest price, technically acceptable is ok with me for tires.

For $865 I can buy something that is less disposal - these tires end up in the trash in 6 months to a year and in Northern Virginia won't get pushed to the limits on the roads around here.

Why do you have to change your tires every 6mo?
My PSS just turned 2yrs and approaching 20k miles... Still like new

do you mean PS2's? I ask because the PSS are just now entering production and becoming available for the 21" rims on the new cars...

You might have PSS if you've gone with aftermarket 20" rims and PSS tires, just wanted to clarify because from my understanding of treadware ratings the PS2 have 220 and the PSS have 300 which is a big difference in the lifespan of a tire. Most of the comments I've read on the forum about the PS2 seem to say around 9-10k miles and there done on the rears, vs PSS which seem to get double that at 20k miles or so per set. obviously it also depends on driving style but with a P car id guess your "ENJOYING" the miles and acceleration :D

My P85+ eats them on the rears - they wear really fast on the inside... fixed camber setting on the rear doesnt help. I also drive a lot, my 2014 has over 40K on it..

Seems like you need the adjustable camber links. They eliminated my problem with rear tire wear. Getting them on your car before you get the new carbon rims with new tires make very good sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: linkster
I may have to call you on that one. I'm not sure why Tesla doesn't address the issue.

The reason is largely for safety for drivers who are less skilled in handling the car. In plain language, on many cars, including Tesla, the camber is set for more predictable handling in turns, which means more negative camber (the wheel tilted at the top toward the center of the car). This causes excessive wear on the inner tread of the tire. With less negative camber (recommended Tesla stock is -1.83 but a better setting for tire wear is -1.0) the handling in turns is somewhat less manageable for a less skilled driver, thus Tesla and other auto makers play it safe and set higher negative camber.