Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally found the email that got caught by my spam engine. The ESE Wheels have a 51mm offset on 19 x 8.5and are have a difference size Center Hub than the Telsa. Anybody have and experience with getting the 51mm offset back to 41mm (stock) and how does that impact lug nuts etc...... If I understand this correctly the 51mm might rub on turns and aesthetically it would have more recessed wheels vs the stock look..

Here is the offset calculator that i used - it looks like the total impact without spacers is .1 inch on the suspension and .63 inches recessed vs stock.

Last edited:
Getting carbon rims is actually cost effective compared with what a friend of mine once did to reduce unsprung weight. He had an aerospace metals foundry fabricate titanium lug nuts for all his old Ferraris. It must have saved him at least an ounce per wheel. And it satisfied his real goal, which was to be able to tell his friends about his titanium lug nuts.

I'm actually really curious to see if it impacts range and efficiency. IF it drops consumption from 320 watts per mile to 250 watts per mile - that is a significant gain in efficiency and would give the car 340 miles of range. (an optimistic guess assuming that 85KW is real = I came up with the 320 watt by dividing 85KW by 265 = the max range of my P85+ and got 320 watts per mile).
Approximately 22% is crazy high. I suspect it might be ~4 to ~7% best case.

The best benefit could be the lower road noise - carbon fiber absorbs a lot of the attenuated sound that aluminum just passes onto the vehicle....

I'm going with I'm just a lug nut who likes to make things even more efficient!

More information on the ESE Carbon wheels ... http://www.compositestoday.com/2015/03/ese-launch-world-lightest-carbon-fibre-wheels/

ESE Launch World Lightest Carbon Fibre Wheels

By John Shury @compositestoday Mar 13, 2015

The E1 carbon fibre wheels weigh in at less than 5.22 kg and will be certified for a maximum axle weight of 1,746 kgs – equivalent to a fully loaded BMW X5.

Steel and aluminium alloys have long been the materials of choice when manufacturing car wheels. However, unlike composites these materials are prone to corrosion, are heavier and can’t be further optimised to reduce weight without sacrificing safety.
At just 5.2 kgs ESE say these are currently the lightest production carbon wheels on the market today. The company say that with the unmatched strength and stiffness to weight ratio, these wheels reduce the weight of vehicle which give the car better handling, a quieter and smoother ride, faster acceleration, quicker deceleration and improved fuel efficiency.
The E1 wheels are made using ESE Industries’ Next Generation Autoclave Process (NGAP), which combines high-speed autoclave cure with the low viscosity of the resin to achieve very low de-moulding times. The NGAP technology has all the advantages of autoclave manufacturing with a mass production approach to deliver carbon fibre composites at a price that’s not currently possible with any other production method.
The wheels are available to order from the ESE website and start from $2,000

ese-carbon-e1-wheels-set-4-large-848x478.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at carbon wheels seriously, I think a key question is what diameter to choose. They are extremely strong but also extremely stiff, so despite their strength, the dynamic load on an unforgiving wheel from hitting a pothole could be enormous. So I would think you want the highest tire sidewall possible without compromising sharpness in handling, where the higher sidewall would be able to provide some of the flexion and compliance that the carbon wheel cannot provide. My gut feeling is to get a 20" wheel. Sidewalls on 21" tires are simply too low, and 19s will bring bring some loss of handling feel.

I'm running 20" pilot super sports and love them. I did not find any value in the $4500 Tesla 21" wheel package and have found the sidewall with the 20" tires combined with the PSS compound and construction to be a very nice compromise.

Pilot super sports are the best summer performance tire in my experience. I have used them on other cars. The Continentals that came with my car only have 4k miles, but when they are done I do plan to get a set of PSS. I have never understood why they are cheaper than the regular pilot sports, which don't handle as well or last as long.

What is going on alignment wise for you to loose your Contis in 4K miles? Rear camber? Rear toe?

I wasn't clear -- the Contis have only 4k miles because that's the total milage on the car since purchase. Their tread is fine now but when they finally go off, whenever that will be, I will switch to PSS. They are not wearing now because I just installed sottozeros for the winter on the same 21" rims that came with the car: the Conties are stacked in the garage.

Actually it just occurred to me -- I can (counterintuitively) use the 21" rims and sottozeros as my winter set and get the carbon rims and 20" PSS for summer -- then I won't be completely wasteful changing rims. However I want some other guinea pig from this thread to try the carbons first and see if they deliver benefits and hold up to wear!

I'm actually really curious to see if it impacts range and efficiency. IF it drops consumption from 320 watts per mile to 250 watts per mile - that is a significant gain in efficiency and would give the car 340 miles of range. (an optimistic guess assuming that 85KW is real = I came up with the 320 watt by dividing 85KW by 265 = the max range of my P85+ and got 320 watts per mile).
Approximately 22% is crazy high. I suspect it might be ~4 to ~7% best case.

The best benefit could be the lower road noise - carbon fiber absorbs a lot of the attenuated sound that aluminum just passes onto the vehicle....

I'm going with I'm just a lug nut who likes to make things even more efficient!

I suspect it will make a negligible difference, as most of the hit to range comes from wind resistance, drag, and rolling resistance.

It might shave a tenth or two off a 1/4 mile run thanks to less mass to rotate.

It will put your suspension components at risk of a hard hit from a pot hole. Metal wheels act as a circuit breaker for your suspension components - they are designed to crumple and absorb the energy of a bad hit before that energy is transferred to your suspension components. A wheel is a lot cheaper to replace than a control arm. Be careful with these.

It will put your suspension components at risk of a hard hit from a pot hole. Metal wheels act as a circuit breaker for your suspension components - they are designed to crumple and absorb the energy of a bad hit before that energy is transferred to your suspension components. A wheel is a lot cheaper to replace than a control arm. Be careful with these.

That is a very interesting point. I hadn't thought of that.

I going with the 19" X 8.5 x 41MM to mirror the Tesla stock setup. This should help with the energy transfer vs the 21's.

I love the look of the 21's, but there is a reason that Tesla went with 19" on the majority of their Model S line.

Getting carbon rims is actually cost effective compared with what a friend of mine once did to reduce unsprung weight. He had an aerospace metals foundry fabricate titanium lug nuts for all his old Ferraris. It must have saved him at least an ounce per wheel. And it satisfied his real goal, which was to be able to tell his friends about his titanium lug nuts.

If only he'd known that saving weight in the center of the wheel was no better than saving non rotating mass elsewhere.

If only he'd known that saving weight in the center of the wheel was no better than saving non rotating mass elsewhere.

20-PIECES M14x1.5mm TITANIUM LUG / WHEEL NUTS

Specifically designed and engineered to reduce rotating mass for race vehicles. Suits all vehicles with a 60deg. seat angle and M14x1.5mm threads.

These are not regular billet machined 6-point Ti nuts, but our own high-strength 100T forging of 6AL-4V Titanium with a 19mm 12-point head. Fully CNC machined after forging to ensure high accuracy threads and concentric seats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121524316599?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l1600.jpg