Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars are dynamic, consider a high speed dip in the road and the G forces needed to make the car bottom out that shiny front diffuser. Usually 1.5 to 1.6G will make a stock Corvette bang its air dam. Yes, that is a big dip - like the ones you find outside Barstow, CA that look like you can take them at 90 MPH. That's just the change of direction in the vertical plane so all four wheels get about 50% load increase at one time or another. How about a banked corner and an Elk in the road? You are putting a lot of the car weight on one wheel as you turn and stop. Don't forget to add in the rotational braking force while you are calculating maximum stress.

Don't tell me about "the car only weighs..." so this wheel is strong enough. There is a reason stock rims seem like so much overkill. Of course, you can live closer to the edge if you want.

Found this info about the SAE tests for aftermarket wheels:

Three test machines are required for the SAE J2530 radial fatigue, cornering fatigue and impact fatigue tests. They are designed to fatigue all of the metal components and design features of an individual wheel.

The radial test fatigues the metal in the rim flanges of the wheel, the section that holds the tire onto the wheel and is loaded through the radial axis of the centerline of the wheel. This test also fatigues the metal in the spoke features of the wheel, which carries the load of the vehicle from the hub to the center disc and then to the barrel of the wheel. With every revolution of the wheel, the components are compressed under load as the test load passes over the tire footprint load point and then relaxes after the load has passed. This movement fatigues the metal through the wheel as if it were mounted on the vehicle.

The cornering test (a.k.a. rotary fatigue) fatigues the metal in the hub and the center disc as it pertains to the mounting pattern all the way out to the connection points of the barrel part of the wheel. This is the most stringent of the three tests, as it exercises the portions of the wheel that are subjected to the most movement under load. This test represents the wheels that steer a vehicle and simulates a cornering maneuver, the point at which wheels are subjected to the greatest
cornering forces.

The lateral curb impact is designed to simulate hitting a curb and causing a shock injury to the wheel from the side. The applied impact energy determines if the wheel can sustain an injury from a side impact and not break or crack the rim flange, causing air loss to the tire. This immediate burst of energy can also cause the mounting pattern or center disc to crack, break or separate.

These three tests are staples for benchmark testing in the wheel industry. If any wheel has a design flaw or a material weakness, it will be presented and found during these tests.

Except, again, that’s how it works. The numbers being quoted are the static load rating for the wheels because that’s an easy number to calculate. The dynamic loads being applied during the qual test are significantly higher.
Yes, but I see "the car only weighs" and then they divide by four which is WRONG. Wheels need to support the MAX GAWR. This is often different between front and rear axles. If you rotate tires front to back the wheels need to be rated for the heavier of the two axles. Next time you see a P100D open the door and look at the GAWR front vs back. After you find the MAX GAWR you can use that number simply, as you stated.

8335afe1-c4b5-4bca-9c83-a065f2a8d652.png

2e4b8f34-3730-4d52-9738-607695081e00.jpg

// Dymag and Supercar Driver Club

Dymag recently hosted a hugely successful track day at Castle Combe circuit for the members of the Supercar Driver Club (SCD). SCD is the UK's leading members’ club for supercar owners, with over 850 members who own over 2,500 supercars.

Among the 50 SCD members on track was Rob Ward with his Jaguar F-Type V6. Dymag arranged for Rob to compare the performance of his car running stock OEM wheels with some BOXSTROM 7X. At 33% lighter than JLR OEM wheels, and with up to 40% better moment of inertia, Rob was amazed at the performance improvements.

A full write up of the track day and Rob’s experiences feature in this month’s SCD magazine which is sent to all members and selected luxury and performance automotive partners.
Read the full article here
Request a quote
Feel the difference for yourself at dymag.com

visit www.dymag.com
129b743f-0f0e-4751-8ff7-853058a29f24.jpg
LIGHTER | STRONGER | FASTER

Attachments

• Dymag-SCD-Article-TrackDay2018LR.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • Informative
Reactions: The Duke
Got the Load capacity on those wheels - amazed how fast they came back to me after hours.

"Our wheels are usually engineered per application but In that specific style, the engineered load specs are 1587 lbs or 720 kg"

6348 lbs or plenty for my 4700 lb Tesla.

Got the Load capacity on those wheels - amazed how fast they came back to me after hours.

"Our wheels are usually engineered per application but In that specific style, the engineered load specs are 1587 lbs or 720 kg"

6348 lbs or plenty for my 4700 lb Tesla.
Late the conversation and too lazy to read up on this.... how much weight savings per wheel over the arachnid wheel? I've been impressed with the efficiency improvement going from turbine to arachnid.... really remarkable how much rotational inertia is a factor in range.

By all means...
Oh man, this is skitown's pet peeve .... like when I say, "hey check out that thread where the guy talks about the Tesla with the thingy"

Still, I expect full estimation of weight savings from you carbon fiber lovers over arachnid wheel.... chop chop.... if I have to lift my hand to click and read, all is lost with my way of life.

• Funny
Reactions: skitown
Oh man, this is skitown's pet peeve .... like when I say, "hey check out that thread where the guy talks about the Tesla with the thingy"

Still, I expect full estimation of weight savings from you carbon fiber lovers over arachnid wheel.... chop chop.... if I have to lift my hand to click and read, all is lost with my way of life.
Agreed. Reminds me of the old, "Not to derail this thread, but <insert derailing here>" trope. You're the master!

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
Agreed. Reminds me of the old, "Not to derail this thread, but <insert derailing here>" trope. You're the master!
Strong point. The carbon fiber side is fascinating and not to derail this thread, but do you guys think Elon's eyes look puffy in recent photographs? I wonder what his Vit. D levels are currently,

Discuss.

• Funny
Reactions: skitown
Late the conversation and too lazy to read up on this.... how much weight savings per wheel over the arachnid wheel? I've been impressed with the efficiency improvement going from turbine to arachnid.... really remarkable how much rotational inertia is a factor in range.

Here you go, lazybones ...OEM vs. Arachnid. You are on your own with the Carbon comparison... :cool:

Tesla Wheel Weight Comparison

Tesla Front Wheel 21” x 8.5”– Kg/Lb.
· Turbine front – 15.8/34.8
· Arachnid front – 12.6/27.8
· Front Weight Savings – 3.2/ 7.0

Tesla Rear Wheel 21” x 9.0” – Kg/Lb.
· Turbine rear – 16.6/36.5
· Arachnid rear – 13.2/29.0
· Rear Weight Savings – 3.4/7.5

Total Wheel Set Weight Savings - Kg/Lb.
· Front Savings – 2x(3.2/7.0)
· Rear Savings – 2x (3.4/7.5)
· Total Weight Savings 13.2/29.0 for a set of 4 wheels

ESE reached out to me about delivering a set for my 12C. I was surprised. They then came back looking for dimensional information on caliper clearance which I was uncomfortable supplying (as I did not want to become responsible for any fit issues). I suggested we locate some stock rims for them to measure for themselves. That was way over a month ago and the conversation has gone quiet again.......