Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go, lazybones ...OEM vs. Arachnid. You are on your own with the Carbon comparison... :cool:

Tesla Wheel Weight Comparison

Tesla Front Wheel 21” x 8.5”– Kg/Lb.
· Turbine front – 15.8/34.8
· Arachnid front – 12.6/27.8
· Front Weight Savings – 3.2/ 7.0

Tesla Rear Wheel 21” x 9.0” – Kg/Lb.
· Turbine rear – 16.6/36.5
· Arachnid rear – 13.2/29.0
· Rear Weight Savings – 3.4/7.5

Total Wheel Set Weight Savings - Kg/Lb.
· Front Savings – 2x(3.2/7.0)
· Rear Savings – 2x (3.4/7.5)
· Total Weight Savings 13.2/29.0 for a set of 4 wheels
Man, this is great, In fact, this is such good information and so nicely presented that only @FlatSix911 could add the info on the carbon fiber comparison to truly take this to the next level.... for I am really lazy, desperate for knowledge, and hoping that someone will drop some knowledge as to why these damn things are so efficient. I really think the carbon fiber discussion will take off once @FlatSix911 or some other knowledgeable individual blows our minds with how freaking light these wheels could be.... and say.... what sort of range might be expected . :) please

buttershrimp, some reading until flatsix does it right
Unplugged Performance UP-03 Carbon Fiber Wheels for Tesla Vehicles

Spoon fed from the UP website... :cool:

UP-03 Carbon Version Wheel Package for Tesla Vehicles
$14,995.00 – $15,995.00
  • Designed and manufactured in the USA specifically for the entire range of Tesla vehicles:
    • Model S range: 40, 60, 60D, 70D, 75D, 85, P85, P85D, 90D, P90D, P100D
    • Model X range: 60D, 75D, 90D, P90D, P100D
    • Model 3 range: rear wheel drive (standard and long-range); all wheel drive
  • Maximum Weight Savings:
    • 20″ application is 16.8lbs (7.6kg) per wheel – 50% lighter than factory wheels on Model S
    • 21″ application is 17.9lbs (8.3kg) per wheel

Buy two at a time!
Looks like ESE still has a pulse... and they claim they passed SAE Certification. Also note wheel weight went from the original ~11 lbs to ~ 13 lbs....still very decent...weight reduction over mono block forged, which are closer to ~20 lbs in 19 inch fitment. My guess is to reach the axle loads they are advertising, the wheel will weigh closer to ~ 15.2 lbs in the 19 x 8.5 fitment, just like Carbon Revolutions...

"ESE Carbon manufactures its line of E1 rims in 18 – 21 inch diameters that weigh as little as 13 lbs. Recently passing their SAE certification, ESE continues to finalize their designs further expanding their product line to reach SUV load ratings." Article was posted in May 2018 - then crickets again..

Source: ESE Carbon Optimizes Strength and Production Speed for E1 Carbon Fiber Wheels with New Huntsman Epoxy Resin System : Araldite® Adhesives

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy
How do you pass SAE certification if you are still finalizing wheel design?
  1. There are no government standards or regulations that require a wheel manufacturer or importer to meet in order to sell a wheel in the US. There are several marking and dimensional requirements that are required by the DOT (Dept. Of Transportation), but no performance or testing requirements.
  2. The standards for performance and testing are voluntary on the part of the manufacturer or importer. There are several specifications that are considered recommended practice, available from such organizations as SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), TUV (the German regulatory agency), ISO (International Standards Organization), and JWL (Japan Light Alloy Wheel Testing Council Rules). The SAE J2530 Aftermarket Wheel Performance Requirements and Test Procedures is a new standard developed for the aftermarket wheel industry to assure that the wheels produced for use on passenger cars and light trucks are safe and reliable.
  3. The testing requirements of J2530 are composed of 3 performance tests.
    1. The first is a Dynamic Cornering Fatigue Test. This is a test that simulates the forces of load put on a wheel when the vehicle is turning a corner or going around a curve.
    2. The second is a Dynamic Radial Fatigue Test. This is a test that simulates the forces of load that the wheel experiences with a tire mounted and carrying the weight of the vehicle, passengers and or cargo.
    3. The third is an Impact Test. This is a test designed to test the effect on the wheel in the event of an impact to the wheel such as hitting a pot hole or side impact into a curb.
  4. The quantity of wheels required to complete the testing are as follows:
    1. Cornering Fatigue = 2 up to 7
    2. Radial Fatigue = 2 up to 7
    3. Impact = 2
    The Cornering and Radial test sample quantities are calculated based on number of cycles and test load settings. In other words, the fewer test samples the greater number of cycles and the higher the test load or the tougher the test. In addition to the above, the tests are based on per style by size. For example, sizes 17×8 and 18×9 of the same style require a minimum of 6 test samples per size. Makes one wonder how or even if some of these “One Off” wheels are tested.
  5. Marking requirements:
    The markings that are required by DOT are as follows:
    1. Wheel Load – this is the maximum load that the wheel is designed to carry. The wheel load is determined by taking 50% of the heaviest axle rating of the vehicle (GAWR – gross axle weight rating). Example; if your heaviest axle weight rating is 3000 lbs then your wheel load requirement would be 1500 lbs.
    2. Wheel size (example 15×8).
    3. Wheel manufactures name, trademark or symbol.
    4. Date of manufacture of the wheel, indicating month and year.
    5. Manufacturers part number or code.
    6. Country of manufacturer.
    7. The symbol “DOT” constituting a certification by the manufacturer of the rim that the rim complies with all applicable vehicle safety standards.
  6. Here is a simple way to determine what a safe wheel load rating should be for your vehicle.
    1. The first thing to do is check to see if the vehicle has the original data plaque. Normally it can be found in the door jam or door on the driver’s side.
    2. If that isn’t available then use the following rule of thumb;
      Passenger cars (not including stretch limo’s) = 1400 lbs & Tesla Model 3 and legacy Roadster
      Pick Up trucks – bolt patterns 5×4.50” & 5×4.75” = 1600 lbs & Tesla Model S
      Pick Up trucks – bolt pattern 5×5.00” = 1900 lbs & Tesla Model X
      Pick Up trucks – bolt patterns 5×5.50” & 6×5.50” = 2100 lbs
      Pick Up trucks – 8 lugs = 3400 lbs

Last edited:
Finally put my fronts on last night after the old tires wore out. Ended up needing a 15mm spacer and ARP studs meant for a Camaro, will look into having some custom ones made with a bit more threaded length, since it's just barely at the minimum. Also did my carbon ceramic brakes.

Still need to measure up and 3D print center caps for the rears. I think a printed cap skinned in carbon fiber will look great.

IMG_20190403_154110.jpg

Summon is incredibly useful for getting in and out of the lift :D

Sent the center cap design off to Shapeways. Was going to try to print it myself, but FDM printing the part would require a bunch of support material that would leave scars when removed. SLS will produce a far better part.

4TOz5MJ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally put my fronts on last night after the old tires wore out. Ended up needing a 15mm spacer and ARP studs meant for a Camaro, will look into having some custom ones made with a bit more threaded length, since it's just barely at the minimum. Also did my carbon ceramic brakes.

Still need to measure up and 3D print center caps for the rears. I think a printed cap skinned in carbon fiber will look great.
View attachment 393348

Summon is incredibly useful for getting in and out of the lift :D

Well done! :cool:

Anyone ever considered doing an lightweight aero wheel variant in carbon fiber for model x and s? The range difference would be in what range with non staggered steep? (Even though model x non staggered would be hard I would think the carbon fiber would hold?)

3D printed domed center caps arrived today. Fit perfectly :) Just have to go get them wrapped in carbon fiber. I might do my 2 spare stock center caps too and put them on the front. Hoping that the CF place can add the CR or Tesla logo. Waiting on the spare mirror caps I ordered from the SC to show up so I can have them wrapped too.

IMG_20190409_162834.jpg

Last edited:
Any improvement in range?

Probably not - much wider and sticker tires. My max drive on a regular basis is around 150mi with charging at both ends, and I've got a lead foot, so it's not much of a concern for me.

I love all the effort and cost to save weight...in order to tow a trailer!

My regular towing car is out of commission for a few months (threw a rod, building a custom motor), and I need to move some large stuff around. The hitch is definitely coming back off when it's fixed.

Probably not - much wider and sticker tires. My max drive on a regular basis is around 150mi with charging at both ends, and I've got a lead foot, so it's not much of a concern for me.

My regular towing car is out of commission for a few months (threw a rod, building a custom motor), and I need to move some large stuff around. The hitch is definitely coming back off when it's fixed.
I was really just kidding...thought it was funny tho..

For us really lazy people, mind posting each piece in a list you had to buy for brakes and wheels?

Carbon Revolution AS-058 and AS-106 wheels
ARP 100-7735 studs (slightly short for the front, I'm having a shop custom make titanium studs before tracking the car)
Custom 15mm spacer for fronts, integrated hubcentric ring (should be able to use an off the shelf spacer + a ring)
64.1mm ID to 72.6mm OD hubcentric rings for rear
Custom center caps for rear (Center Cap by mb300sd on Shapeways)
Optional - Unplugged titanium lug nuts

Brakes - https://racingbrake.com/RB-Calipers-CCM-X-Rotor-Package-for-Tesla-Model-p/rccb-tes-02.htm

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe