Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
silly,
I've used parts manufactured in this way and they are low weight (very near ideal cloth to resin ratios) while providing excellent mold cycle times. Material placement is very well controlled as the material is compressed slightly into the mold as it is closed. Running the process in an autoclave allows for the added benefit of high ambient pressure preventing bubble formation.

In short, ESE's production approach is excellent. I have a sample rim heading my way over the next week or so for NDT. I'll likely use x-ray to confirm material lamination especially at the spoke to rim junction.

We will see.

Your involvement as a guinea pig gives me comfort. Frankly, I respect you as someone who obviously knows what they're doing when it comes to engineering.

I already ordered them, when I get them I'll meet up with you - I'm ten minutes from you in Clifton VA- just have to wait until April. arrrrggghhhhh

Once I get the wheels I may also have some friends at Pratt & Miller Engineering take a look at them too. http://prattmiller.com

Cool! Although unless you have a helicopter I'm more like 45 minutes away.

Thats awesome! Cant wait to see them on a red car! I'm thinking about "carbonizing" all the exterior non painted elements of the car to pull it all together....

I've already done the "carbonizing" -- nose cone, front and rear diffusers, side strakes, B pillar, side view mirror covers, sills -- but the rims will be the bomb, and not for just appearances sake. I'm looking forward to the difference in handling, less road noise, overall performance, and even a modest gain in range. By the middle of the summer they'll also have carbon fiber center caps. Will be putting a red 3D printed Tesla T on those.

_DSC4730.JPG

_DSC4711.JPG

_DSC4712.JPG

DSC_5278.JPG

DSC_5339.JPG

DSC_6120.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_5331.JPG
    DSC_5331.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 98
I am plan on having these guys mount the Michelin PSS - they have the new HUNTER Revolution touchless mounting system. They also have the Hunter Road Force balancing system

That's impressive. Seems it would be well worth going to them to have the tire mounting and balancing done.

As plans stand now I'm going to go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 high performance all season tires. With these wheels I don't want to be changing tires every winter although the Hunter Revolution system appears to have no risk to the rims when tire changes are made.

Last edited:
I checked Mach V out online only - I will do a site visit with Dan (their owner) they seem to focus on Subaru street racers - but until I know more I won't pass judgement yet.

I had my wheels and tires mounted by Mach V and then had him do an alignment. good guys, they have a great Dyno which is kinds cool when your S is on their lift and there are V8's getting dyno'd. Like I said, good place and very reasonable. They are very careful with your equipment.

Ok I need to clear up some information here as composites and titanium are my daily grind.

First off stating that composites and carbon fiber are rigid and stiff is 100 percent incorrect. Rigidity depends on weave orientation ,number of layers and epoxy properties used. I am a Maintenance Engineer on Helicopter, the one of the most common helicopters in use around the world has blades and a rotor head made of composites and their properties are to flex and bend.

Example watch the center area flex and twist : AS-350 Blade Flapping with Starflex (Flappeggio con sistema Starflex) - YouTube

The rotor blades only weight 80lbs and there are Three of them. These blades lift a fully loaded 4000lb helicopter off the ground and flex around 6 feet at the tips in normal operation.

Titanium is is a prime example of strength to weight ratio. It's brittle in nature but like many metals can be heat treated to provided different properties.

You take two bolts of the same size, one of steel the other of titanium. Which one is stronger? The Steel bolt. Because they are the same size the titanium bolt weighs less and isn't as strong.

The bonus is maybe you can't make a steal bolt small enough to carry out the task required so you can make a larger bolt from titanium and save on weight.

Titanium nuts and bolts are extremely susceptible to the threads being damaged from brindeling and binding. Often they are only used once for this reason if used on anything critical and don't last very long on anything removed often.

Please never lubricate any critical threads like lug nuts unless directed by instructions or have a engineering background to understand the effect. Your putting a lot of lives at very life threatening risk.

There was a helicopter accident not to long ago because studs that held the oil filter housing on the main gearbox were made of titanium and the nuts were steel. After a few oil changes the threads on the studs that were always in the same spot when the nut was torqued down let go. All but one person died that day in the Atlantic. So please understand what the risks are.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Just the right guy.
Normally we have to ship the EC135 blades back to Europe to be CT'd as there is really no good inter layer examination NDT available locally. I've got a sample rim coming from ESE and would like to look at the layup structure and cloth density at the spoke to rim intersection. Eco, are you aware of an industrial CD in the South East or other NDT technique that will yield the information I'm looking for? My only other option is to go to Atlanta and see if I can observe mold loading.