Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason is largely for safety for drivers who are less skilled in handling the car. In plain language, on many cars, including Tesla, the camber is set for more predictable handling in turns, which means more negative camber (the wheel tilted at the top toward the center of the car). This causes excessive wear on the inner tread of the tire. With less negative camber (recommended Tesla stock is -1.83 but a better setting for tire wear is -1.0) the handling in turns is somewhat less manageable for a less skilled driver, thus Tesla and other auto makers play it safe and set higher negative camber.

As mentioned above, it's the toe that really eats the tires. Much more than the camber.

I was their first Tesla order - if they are shipping from Georgia - that is one day by UPS Ground to Metro DC Area. I guess I need to order tires. Too many choices, 255/40/20, 245/40/20, Mich PSS?, Conti DWS? All Season, Summer, arrrgghhhh.. Hankook EVO12s? What to do???

If I dump my 21's for $1500, I could spring for the PSS out the gate (I do have 19's with All seasons already in the garage.).....

But then I have to screw with the damn rear links to get the tire wear reduced...

I will be in Augusta on 2-4 August - I could just pick them up... Augusta to Jasper GA --- is 205 miles on I 20.... hummmm

True, but its not $150 per tire improvement when the Hankook is right on top of it. Thats an additionally $600 every six months -- not worth it for a daily driver. It's kinda like buying Nike shoes -great branding and great marketing, but I don't care that Michelin is used at the XX Road Race - when the Hankook very close in specs for over half the price. MEH....

I had both PS2s and the Hankooks on my Corvette. I know what the C&D tests says, but trust me, as someone who bought both tires, the Hankook is not as good and you get what you pay for. The sidewall is like jello compared to the michelin.

I had both PS2s and the Hankooks on my Corvette. I know what the C&D tests says, but trust me, as someone who bought both tires, the Hankook is not as good and you get what you pay for. The sidewall is like jello compared to the michelin.

I am starting to think I may go back to the PSS..... just have to get the links installed. PS2's have been good for road adhesion, but have the longevity of an ice cube with my driving style. (I love ramps!!!!)

One more comment on the Hans v. PSS. I've used both on the same car and agree that the PSS "feels" better to me as well. In addition, the PSS was quieter for me. That said, you can not beat the Hans for value :)

As for camber in the rear, most manufacturers are using large amounts of rear negative camber to pass vehicle stability regulations. Put simply, they use negative camber to give the rear more tire patch to "roll over onto" when doing the emergency maneuver test (where the wheel is yanked from side to side trying to get the back to pass the front). Removing the larger amount of negative camber will only be apparent in the most extreme cercumstances where you may loose the back.

Reducing rear toe in helps with wear but you really can not get away from the physics of running on the inside edge with a lot of negative camber. You are still both riding along on that inside edge causing wear and using a lessor amount of the tire surface to dissipate heat.

Lastly, the Ds are much more stable with near zero rear toe in which is great. That said, be careful getting too near zero. The hub naturally "pulls" forward a tad during hard acceleration. The toe link is in front of the hub which causes the wheel to toe out a small amount under hard acceleration. In the extreme with zero rear toe in you can have toe out in the rear under hard corner exit. This is a sometimes useful condition when you are trying to get a car to rotate in a slow corners while always being an exciting set up to drive :)

ESE may make great rims but the company is dreadful at communication. They need a crash course in customer service communication. We spend $8,000 on a set of rims and we're lucky if they deign to let us know about the status of product development, manufacture, and shipping. I've emailed Victor twice in the last 10 days and have heard nothing. It can't get worse.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
When I reached victor the other day I contacted him via the website chat, and then later by cell phone which he said I could call or text him any time I had questions just throwing that out there IDK how hard it is to reach him yet as I've only just placed my order which he said would arrive in October some time hopefully well after you all receive your sets! if you still haven't gotten a response id suggest trying the web chat.

When I reached victor the other day I contacted him via the website chat, and then later by cell phone which he said I could call or text him any time I had questions just throwing that out there IDK how hard it is to reach him yet as I've only just placed my order which he said would arrive in October some time hopefully well after you all receive your sets! if you still haven't gotten a response id suggest trying the web chat.

Tried the web chat. No response after two hours so I gave up. I think you got lucky.

Artsci,
Spoke with Victor tonight - asked him if we could come down and pick them up - he said they aren't ready for factory tours and don't want people to see their proprietary process and that they don't know what the rules are with their insurance company yet. Last time he spoke with Carlos about the completion date their target date was 29 July. He told me they are working on the titanium hubs (not sure what they are doing), but thats what he shared. I asked him if had spoken to you - said he missed your chat and had just left you two voicemails.

Other than that nothing that you probably already didn't know.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Artsci,
Spoke with Victor tonight - asked him if we could come down and pick them up - he said they aren't ready for factory tours and don't want people to see their proprietary process and that they don't know what the rules are with their insurance company yet. Last time he spoke with Carlos about the completion date their target date was 29 July. He told me they are working on the titanium hubs (not sure what they are doing), but thats what he shared. I asked him if had spoken to you - said he missed your chat and had just left you two voicemails.

Other than that nothing that you probably already didn't know.

Thanks for the update. We're getting close and that's my problem:)

Another thing to point out, when I spoke with him I asked him to confirm there would be clearance for the Torx bolt in the hub which he confirmed wouldn't be an issue... Im very excited for you as well!! My original plan was to wait until someone had received a set but I couldn't wait to place my order LOL

Have a question for you guys, saw a few pages back that you had ordered special lug nuts for these wheels, so I'm guessing they do not come with lug nuts? Along that same question have you found any locking / security lugs for these wheels?

thanks for the guidance!!

Security good point- the car already has multiple cameras, and is parked in locations that are in secure garages most of the time on cameras. Additionally I ordered an extra magazine for the Glock 17.

Also I forgot to mention that in my discussion with Victor I discussed having ESE place a chip/tracking device in the wheels as a security feature. They are discussing and will get back to me.

Found a good review on rounds here http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Last edited: