Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past several minutes I’ve been exchanging text messages with Victor Calvo. We have good reasons to be optimistic. Here’s what he’s told me:

Hi Rick, thank you for your enthusiasm to order once we have passed SAE independent lab tests at 3,850 lbs per axle. We have currently passed the lab tests at 1,950 lbs per axle and we are passing in-house at 3,850 lbs per axle with the exception of the cornering fatigue test. When it comes to cornering fatigue, our goal is to withstand over 50,000 cycles of the test without the E1 wheel experiencing more than 20% stiffness and strength degradation. We are currently passing at around 18,000 - 20,000 cycles and our team seems confident that we will fix this last issue and commence shipping before September 2018. This cornering fatigue test will allow us to move forward with our Lifetime Structural Warranty. I can keep you updated the moment I have more information as to when we receive final SAE certification if you would like?

So if they meet these expectations looks like they’ll be shipping in the fall. I’m encouraged by the fact that they’re being open about where things stand. I’ll post when Victor lets me know about SAE certification.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I'm afraid to be optimistic, but this would be totally cool..... 1900 lbs is good enough for my S.. GVW is only 5,732 to 5,997 lbs depending on configuration, even grossly overloaded - it would have to be ~2000 lbs over GVW to hit 1900 lbs per corner.

I'm afraid to be optimistic, but this would be totally cool..... 1900 lbs is good enough for my S.. GVW is only 5,732 to 5,997 lbs depending on configuration, even grossly overloaded - it would have to be ~2000 lbs over GVW to hit 1900 lbs per corner.

Take a closer look:

we are passing in-house at 3,850 lbs per axle

They are quoting a per axle load. So that is 1,925 lbs per wheel.

Last edited:
Would that even be considerable overhead though? That weight is constant weight, yes? What about momentary weight, such as going over a hump fairly quickly and having the force of the car come down on the wheels/axel. That could easily exceed 3850lbs of momentary force.

I don't know how wheel testing works at all, so maybe that's factored in? But with such a heavy car as a Tesla, it would seem you'd need more than that.