TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon fiber spoiler and dirt on the tailgate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

I was just reading through a thread in which some owners were looking to add spoilers to their non-performance S's, and saw a comment about reduced range because of the increased drag. That got me thinking about the airflow and dirt: I've noticed on our Model S (sans spoiler) that a lot of dirt/dust collects on the back of the tailgate/car/bumper area.

I'm curious: Anyone with spoilers find that to be an issue (however minor) as well? Or does the spoiler change the airflow enough to keep the tailgate cleaner? (If it does, that seems like a good incentive to add a spoiler! :) )

2. Ranch13

Ranch13 Member

Would be interested in this too- my Pearl White starts to look matte grey back there after a couple hundred miles.

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Just as much dirt I'm sure... I have a spoiler and one drive after a cleaning an its dust central.

4. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

My spoiler was on my due bill for awhile. I did not notice the rear being any cleaner with the spoiler on. I doubt it makes much of a difference.

5. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

Lately it's been pollen, not dirt. But no difference in amount of "stuff" collecting back there from before the spoiler to after installing it.
    My poor S is almost yellow with all that pollen...

6. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

This morning I discovered (and geeked out on) the National Geographic "Megafactories" episode about the Tesla Factory... At 14:17 in the video, they show a short clip of the airflow around the car. If you look carefully, you can see the upward movement of air along the backside of the car. Guess that explains the dirt collection (and why the spoiler doesn't help).

Megafactories Tesla Model S (English) - YouTube

(Also, makes me a bit disappointed we didn't pick up our Model S at the factory and get the tour! Ahh, well...)

7. William13

William13 Member

The dirt on the tail is common on more aerodynamic cars. :(