TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon Fiber Trim - How are people liking that?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Runs Kwh, May 16, 2014.

1. Runs Kwh

Runs Kwh Member

I ordered my car with the carbon fiber instead of black piano, primarily because it seems those glossy surfaces get scratched when getting wiped down. Curious as to those with the carbon fiber like it.

2. kupermanp

kupermanp Member

I've had mine for 6mo. My car is green with the beige leather but no extra leather. I got mine because i hate fingerprints and have young children. It looks great. I haven't had any problems with scratching and it doesn't show fingerprints. It's pretty subtle on the car so if your looking for someone to say "wow is that carbon fiber" that probably won't happen (only one of the many people I've given a test drive to noticed). The wood trim is more noticeable/striking. Overall I'm glad I went and would do it again if I get another car

K

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm super happy with my CF interior trim.

4. radinator

radinator Member

I have been very happy with it too, and still looks great a year and a half later.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Happy with mine a year and a half and two kids later. It's held up well. Looks good as new.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Same here.

7. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I love mine, chose it for the same reason. Cannot stand finger printer glossy surfaces. the CF looks really great. It's real CF, not an overlay imitation etc. It's the real deal. ( I really wouldn't expect any less )

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

All the trims have a total overlay that is 1mm thick. The substrates are ABS plastic and the finish with glue and veneers is 1mm. The yacht floor is an aluminium sheet.

9. flodrab

flodrab Member

I got the carbon fiber because I like the look ... seems a little more "high tech" to me than wood does ... like it so much I wrapped the mirror bodies and the rear diffuser, too ... (you'll have to take my word about the diffuser ... only pic I have is a little too underexposed to show it off properly)
    mirror.JPG

10. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I really like the carbon fiber in my car. Still looks new after over a year. I didn't like the gloss surfaces due to fingerprints and reflections while driving. The wood looked out of place. Carbon fiber fits better with the look of the interior.

11. Amped-Up

Amped-Up Member

+1 with flodrab...wood trim seemed strange to me considering the innovation of the Tesla. The CF looks great and it matches the rear spoiler:cool:

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Well, considering the competition (or at least cars in that price category), I think Tesla just had to offer wood as well. Plus, some people like the "warmth" that wood gives the interior of a car, especially if the rest of the interior is as barren/naked as it is in the Model S.
    So kudos for offering a wide range, from piano black via various woods to CF so (almost) everyone can have his/her favorite.

13. huntjo

huntjo Member

I kinda wish I had chosen CF instead of obeche. I still like the obeche, but it's a grass is greener type of thing where I think the other is just a little better.

14. AC1K

AC1K Member

im super happy with mine especially after they started charging extra for it.

15. Runs Kwh

Runs Kwh Member

Gosh, I wish they didn't charge extra.... as I understand, it's not real carbon fiber... it's a film, right?

However, glad we're getting it. It came standard in our VW Jetta Sportwagen ($29K)...

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm pretty sure it's real

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Real, I can confirm.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#18 artsci, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

Yes, real. I like it so much I made it a motif for the black plastic pieces on the underside of the car and the nosecone.

_DSC4730.jpg

_DSC4712.jpg

_DSC4711.jpg

_DSC4708.jpg

19. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Beautiful match of the original. They should sell the dash side pieces. I bet they could sell a lot.