Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon fiber vinyl wrap Tesla Model S 2015 interior experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience doing vinyl wraps on their Tesla? I have the obeche wood glossy finish panels but would really like a premium looking carbon fiber finish look. Would I be best to go to a wrap place and see if they can do it? Anyone researched and done this before with any products out there as an easy DIY project they could link to what tools to buy and how to best do it? Maybe I buy a premium carbon fiber sticker or vinyl wrap sheet myself and get my box cutter and give it a go over my existing panels?

Curious if anyone else has researched into this and came out with results they were happy with. Would be nice if there were already quality pre fab stickers/vinyl I could just plop on my trim bits and I DO see some out there but they all look sketchy and bad, $11 dollar stickers just will not cut it nor did they seem to cover the entirety of the space, wrapping around to flush with door side etc.

Looking to spend anywhere from $300-$700 on such a project, I really only want it on 4-5 of my panels, main dash(3) top of cupholder, and the back rear seat facing vent face, not the doors and literally EVERYTHING carbon fiber, happy to leave the aluminum on the doors and handles etc. I think it will make a nice accent rather than going the route of literally doing a carbon fiber on every inch of the interior, that would look overdone and boring imo.

My used Tesla did come with a Carbon Fiber themed center console thingy shown in pics, so hoping I can match the carbon fiber colors of that likely for parity.

Best,
Jeremy

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Spots2CarbonFiberWrap.png
    Spots2CarbonFiberWrap.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
I got quoted $600 for a local installer to wrap in 3M vinyl. Unfortunately because my wood trim had grains in it, it wouldn’t stick. You won’t have that issues since you have glossy obeche wood. I ended up buying OEM carbon fiber parts on eBay and spent around $1,300 and swapped it out myself. I sold my other wood trim for around $500, so net cost was around $700 but it looks awesome!

Your center console is an aftermarket Evannex which is just photographed CF and won’t match vinyl or real CF identically. You can try matte vinyl as the closest match. You might want to consider replacing the Evannex console with OEM. I did in my older model S and was very happy with it. You can buy an imitation older gen OEM console on TapTes which is better than the Evannex one also. You can resell the Evannex one for $100-250.

Here is my interior. Also purchased CF door trim from AliExpress.

51327366-F395-43CB-BAF1-621C205EDDFA.jpeg D89C342D-7D67-476E-8E82-3874675BA773.jpeg 944478F5-19A1-44C1-918B-1C548671E75F.jpeg 00BDFC11-D9FE-47F8-B31F-397E4C8D6E29.jpeg
5A294A65-D470-43A2-A124-753B0D7AD544.jpeg

Attachments

• AA0FF839-DAD7-4C37-AF50-30326593DA2C.jpeg
    AA0FF839-DAD7-4C37-AF50-30326593DA2C.jpeg
    622.7 KB · Views: 276
Anyone have experience doing vinyl wraps on their Tesla? I have the obeche wood glossy finish panels but would really like a premium looking carbon fiber finish look. Would I be best to go to a wrap place and see if they can do it? Anyone researched and done this before with any products out there as an easy DIY project they could link to what tools to buy and how to best do it? Maybe I buy a premium carbon fiber sticker or vinyl wrap sheet myself and get my box cutter and give it a go over my existing panels?

Curious if anyone else has researched into this and came out with results they were happy with. Would be nice if there were already quality pre fab stickers/vinyl I could just plop on my trim bits and I DO see some out there but they all look sketchy and bad, $11 dollar stickers just will not cut it nor did they seem to cover the entirety of the space, wrapping around to flush with door side etc.

Looking to spend anywhere from $300-$700 on such a project, I really only want it on 4-5 of my panels, main dash(3) top of cupholder, and the back rear seat facing vent face, not the doors and literally EVERYTHING carbon fiber, happy to leave the aluminum on the doors and handles etc. I think it will make a nice accent rather than going the route of literally doing a carbon fiber on every inch of the interior, that would look overdone and boring imo.

My used Tesla did come with a Carbon Fiber themed center console thingy shown in pics, so hoping I can match the carbon fiber colors of that likely for parity.

Best,
Jeremy

I did my own. Came out great. Cost was $38 total.

15458730443544483357269376121210.jpg

Reactions: EVortex
Have you considered buying CF replacement trim new or used?

Looking around I see no good deals on a set of OEM CF. If you find anything lemme know :) .

I got quoted $600 for a local installer to wrap in 3M vinyl. Unfortunately because my wood trim had grains in it, it wouldn’t stick. You won’t have that issues since you have glossy obeche wood. I ended up buying OEM carbon fiber parts on eBay and spent around $1,300 and swapped it out myself. I sold my other wood trim for around $500, so net cost was around $700 but it looks awesome!

Your center console is an aftermarket Evannex which is just photographed CF and won’t match vinyl or real CF identically. You can try matte vinyl as the closest match. You might want to consider replacing the Evannex console with OEM. I did in my older model S and was very happy with it. You can buy an imitation older gen OEM console on TapTes which is better than the Evannex one also. You can resell the Evannex one for $100-250.

This is good info for sure, I may very well see if my local installer will go for $600 or less. Would be worth it at that price point for me. I also see these shell sticker cover kinds people are promoting as a conversion kit but that means I would need to take my trim pieces off, which I am not 100% sure how hard that is to do. Was thinking a wrap group could probably leave them in place and still get the wrap around the edges good enough to not show the wood color.

Yep, looks a lot like these components: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y1YLNH5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AI81XRCFQFFPQ&psc=1 , which I have considered, but will need to get my existing panels off to fit these plastic ones.

Looking around I see no good deals on a set of OEM CF. If you find anything lemme know :) .

This is good info for sure, I may very well see if my local installer will go for $600 or less. Would be worth it at that price point for me. I also see these shell sticker cover kinds people are promoting as a conversion kit but that means I would need to take my trim pieces off, which I am not 100% sure how hard that is to do. Was thinking a wrap group could probably leave them in place and still get the wrap around the edges good enough to not show the wood color.

Yep, looks a lot like these components: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y1YLNH5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AI81XRCFQFFPQ&psc=1 , which I have considered, but will need to get my existing panels off to fit these plastic ones.

Taking your trim pieces off is a good 1.5 hour job, intermediate complexity. I am not particualry handy and figured out how to do it by watching you tube videos and searching this forum.

Reactions: jeremy0916
Awesome, thanks for all the feedback folks. I may end up wrapping my own. Also looking at a few Ebay listings on real CF(supposedly) added to OEM Tesla trims. Cheapest I am seeing is like 1.3k-2k though for the panels which is a bit outside my range. Maybe I can talk them down some though.

Also seems like OCarbon has a sell listing for CF parts on OEM Tesla trim pieces. Potentially I can work out a swap deal with them to help get closer to my price range and still get quality CF inside my Tesla dashboard.

Last edited:
Update:

Ended up buying though autobahnparts group some OEM Tesla Carbon Fiber 4 piece full set($594 w shipping)! It comes in matte(which I understand is technically considered superior by auto body standards than the glossy) but I can supposedly make it glossy, they gave me a tip:

"you can always polish the hell out of these with some compound and a buffer to remove the matte finish and give them a shine. I have seen it done before and it turns out pretty good! " They said they will send more info on the products to try and what to do later which will be helpful.

I may end up leaving it matte though too, I really like both but my wood one was glossy so makes me think glossy CF looks best? Idk, kinda surprised Tesla does not offer glossy as an option and that its only an aftermarket gig.

I figure I can turn around and sell my wood trim pieces cheaply and recoup some of my cost.

Will update when I install them! If anyone else has gone from matte to glossy and has experience in it I would love to hear your opinions too.

Reactions: EVortex
Update:

Ended up buying though autobahnparts group some OEM Tesla Carbon Fiber 4 piece full set($594 w shipping)! It comes in matte(which I understand is technically considered superior by auto body standards than the glossy) but I can supposedly make it glossy, they gave me a tip:

"you can always polish the hell out of these with some compound and a buffer to remove the matte finish and give them a shine. I have seen it done before and it turns out pretty good! " They said they will send more info on the products to try and what to do later which will be helpful.

I may end up leaving it matte though too, I really like both but my wood one was glossy so makes me think glossy CF looks best? Idk, kinda surprised Tesla does not offer glossy as an option and that its only an aftermarket gig.

I figure I can turn around and sell my wood trim pieces cheaply and recoup some of my cost.

Will update when I install them! If anyone else has gone from matte to glossy and has experience in it I would love to hear your opinions too.

great idea and price!

Reactions: jeremy0916
Update:

Personal taste, but I prefer matte to glossy. Stays cleaner and looks more subtle IMO.

I worked my butt off 3.5 hours tonight putting on the OEM matte carbon fiber dash trim tonight. Pulling off all those clipped on panels feels like you are breaking the car haha. Just gotta do the center console cup holder face lid last. Will upload pics! If anyone wants to buy a set of the glossy obeche wood trim and console mint condition for a change up of their own lemme know.

Hopefully will throw some pics up tomorrow of it when its daylight. Anyone know a good cleaning product to wipe the dash down with to get it clean and looking its best?

As promised, pics attached. The left hand side came out perfect, ignore my finger print smudges, didn't spend time cleaning those up yet haha. Look at those pretty carbon fiber trims :) . The right hand side I thought was solid after working in the dark last night without great visibility, but after inspecting a second time I noticed the trim i installed leaves a bout a 1/3rd an inch gap or so of missing CF trim that should be shooting up behind the dashboard lid like the left hand side does. Also seems the panel in general has a slight gap from the lid, you can see the two spots I circled in red attached. Now if I manually bear down on the right hand side lid, with pressure it can hide the gaps, but when the lid sits naturally all clipped in the gap is visible(was not visible with my prior glossy obeche wood trim peice. Wonder if it was just a Tesla defect on this trim piece(was from a 2014 Tesla and mine is a 2015)?

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 246
As promised, pics attached. The left hand side came out perfect, ignore my finger print smudges, didn't spend time cleaning those up yet haha. Look at those pretty carbon fiber trims :) . The right hand side I thought was solid after working in the dark last night without great visibility, but after inspecting a second time I noticed the trim i installed leaves a bout a 1/3rd an inch gap or so of missing CF trim that should be shooting up behind the dashboard lid like the left hand side does. Also seems the panel in general has a slight gap from the lid, you can see the two spots I circled in red attached. Now if I manually bear down on the right hand side lid, with pressure it can hide the gaps, but when the lid sits naturally all clipped in the gap is visible(was not visible with my prior glossy obeche wood trim peice. Wonder if it was just a Tesla defect on this trim piece(was from a 2014 Tesla and mine is a 2015)?

CF is a much needed improvement. Looks great. The part numbers for the trims haven’t changed for the Model S’s lifespan with the exception of the colors (graphite, silver) and patterns. I don’t think it’s the trim because if you notice on the top right of the MCU, you have a gap as well. My guess is you didn’t screw in or snap in a piece completely.