TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon fiber wrap on front air dam, rocker panels, and rear valance

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Oct 12, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Having put carbon fiber wrap on my nose cone, much satisfied with the results, and not willing to pay $4-5,000 for real carbon fiber parts that are likely to chip and be otherwise damaged from road debris, today I had the front air dam, side rocker panels, and rear valence wrapped with 3M carbon fiber vinyl. I'm very pleased with the results. The work was done by D&L Tinting in Parkville, MD, the same folks who tinted my windows and wrapped my nosecone. The job took about 3 hours and cost about $950.

Here are a few photos. It was a lousy overcast, rainy day so the photos aren't great but they do capture the general appearance. When we next get some sun I'll take and post some better photos.

The wrap creates a very subtle but cool effect. I had had the chrome piece on the rear valance wrapped --never liked that -- but left the chrome accent under the doors untouched. I like that accent.

D&L used some special 3M adhesive on all the corners where the wrap is likely to come loose. If anything comes loose or otherwise fails to adhere they'll fix it at no cost. Can't beat that. I can't recommend these guys more highly.

_DSC4029.JPG

_DSC4031.JPG

_DSC4032.JPG

_DSC4034.JPG

_DSC4035.JPG

_DSC4036.JPG

_DSC4038.JPG

_DSC4039.JPG

_DSC4040.JPG

_DSC4041.JPG

2. leonari

leonari Member

3. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Looks good. What are those three bumps on your nose cone?

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#4 artsci, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    The two near the headlamps are the Blinder laser jammer sensors. The single bump near the bottom center of the nose cone is a front view camera. I have a new wrapped nose cone with the new Tesla lighted T, soon to be completed. That nosecone will replace this one as soon as I finish the install of the Tesla touchscreen operated front camera. The Tesla camera will be mounted under the nose cone, not on it, so that bump, which I'm not happy with, will be gone. Haven't quite figured out where the laser sensors will be on that nosecone but I'm working on it. Stealth installs totally defeat the function of the laser sensors -- they have to have a totally clear view down the road. I'm probably going to locate the sensors on the bottom lip of the nosecone. Not an ideal location but a decent compromise.

5. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

I think D&L knows the two of us well...I was just back there to have Crystalline reapplied to the windscreen.

I may have to follow your lead on this one - love it!!!

6. roel

roel Member

very nice looks

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It's great work with D&L. They love the Model S. Today they peppered me with questions about the car before they started work and they're meticulous.

8. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Rick, I love the cf wrap on the front/rear valance. I'm heading down to D&L before long for tinting and now may have to add the wrap. Damn, will you stop costing me so much money! ;)
    I'm still saving up for the Reuss audio upgrade also.

9. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Very nice! After seeing this I'm going to get my rocker panels done along with that chrome strip on the bottom of the doors.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Let me know when you go to D&L. I may meet you there -- have to bring them the old nose cone to have it re-wrapped.

11. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

I wanted the front and back valances wrapped as well as the side rockers ( I think that's what they are called) white to match my car. I thought it would make the car look lower and sleeker. The place I took it to said the wrap would not stick to the molding. I then asked the local Tesla authorized repair shop what it would cost to paint......$4000. Said no thanks and thought the gray under panels would just have to stay gray. So if anyone knows a wrapper who can make it stick to the plastic in So. Cal. Let me know.
    Thanks.

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

D&L didn't think getting it to stick would be a problem. I guess I'll see soon if they're right.

13. Seven7

Seven7 Member

14. yearofthedragon

not a bad look, but the 3m vinyl just doesn't have the depth of real carbon. to each his own.

15. Seven7

Seven7 Member

I agree, but for the money and protection it's a great compromise. Like you said, to each her/his own. :smile: