TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carbon Fibre Interior Trim anyone?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Ashleysteadman, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Ashleysteadman

Hi there! I bought my Model S as ex-demo so couldn’t choose my interior and really would like the Carbon Fibre interior dash trim. There are plenty or examples for sale overseas (which are obviously left hand drive layout).

Tesla has quoted me about $1,000 installed which is actually far more reasonable than I expected but thought I’d throw it out there to see if anyone in Australia has a set that they are parting with?

Or does anyone know where a good place to get dash trim parts is?

Thanks in advance!

2. Icey

Icey Member

I’ve recently seen someone wrap the interior with carbon fibre print. From the passenger seat I couldn’t tell the difference to mine. Didn’t have to remove the interior to do it either as they had the boat deck type console.
    Cost them about $200 to do

3. Ashleysteadman

I’ve wrapped mine to test out the look (removed the panels to do it properly) and I’m pretty happy with it, but nothing beats the real thing; even if other people don’t know the difference - I do ;)

4. Ashleysteadman

By the way @Icey how do you find the Carbon fibre interior for holding up against scratches? One of the reasons I don’t love the glossy wood grain is it’s an absolute scratch magnet (and I’m OCD).

5. Icey

Icey Member

@Ashleysteadman If I could get people to STOP ****ING TRYING TO CLEAN THE DUST OFF OF IT!! it would be fine, but people run their finger across it and I get lots of micro scratches.

6. paulp

paulp Active Member

My method seems to have worked. Purchased a jumbo pack of small good quality micro-cloths online. Each week or two I use a new one on the screens and glass surfaces with a little bit of distant spray. I then put that cloth in the interiors bucket for my next clean of seats, windows etc. after that it finds life for the door trims and under the door sills, and after that life on the wheels, before the bin.
    No cloth is ever used twice on the screens or gloss trims, and I collect no scratches as a result.

• Like x 1
  7. Ashleysteadman

Couldn’t find anything locally (second hand) so have just picked up CF trim from Tesla direct! I’ll keep those cleaning tips in mind.

8. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

9. Ashleysteadman

#9 Ashleysteadman, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    The price went up a bit (I sat on the quote for a while!) but yea - $935 + GST for parts and $155 + GST for labour.

I just got the parts only as they couldn’t fit in installation until April (they have their hands full with the Takata Airbag recall) ! It’s a pretty easy swap out so I’ll change it all over before the weekend :)

10. Ashleysteadman

#10 Ashleysteadman, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Considering I was quoted about $450+ GST just to wrap it professionally (in fake carbon fibre) I thought that was pretty good.

11. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

@Ashleysteadman that’s a darn good price! I have my dash wrapped, about $500 and whilst is okay it’s nothing like the real thing!

Only thing, does that include the elbow rest? How about if one has the Centre console?

12. Ashleysteadman

Yea that’s what I thought too! If you take into account Luxury Car Tax, it’s actually cheaper/the same as buying as part of a new car order (when it was actually available on non-P models).

Was about to go get it wrapped (professionally) myself - 3M Carbon Fibre wrap looks great but it’s nice to have the real thing yea.

That price includes everything - sliding drawer for centre console (mine is 2018 MS) + armrest console (bit under the sliding arm rests) + dash board trim pieces (x3).

Each of these sets is sold separately but added up to that price.

13. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Wow....would you mind PM'ing me the quote from so I can hit up my Melbourne SC for the same deal?

14. Ashleysteadman

15. shanelord

shanelord Member

Ash - can you PM to me also?

16. Ashleysteadman

For a fellow Roar and Soar participant... sure!

17. shanelord

shanelord Member

Thanks mate. Ben @ Tesla has ordered in the parts - should be in by Friday!

18. Ashleysteadman

Awesome congrats - I imagine he might be getting a few orders! You’ll love it I’m stoked with mine.