Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon footprint calculator?

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, I can find loads of sites that calculator your total footprint but does anyone know of a site where I can compare how much better the Tesla is to my old car? Thanks

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
On a similar tack, and because it came up recently in conversation, I'd appreciate a link to where i could discover if eating meat from locally grown and sourced, organic, no import of feed etc . compares to being a vegan but eating Pulses that are imported

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
On a similar tack, and because it came up recently in conversation, I'd appreciate a link to where i could discover if eating meat from locally grown and sourced, organic, no import of feed etc . compares to being a vegan but eating Pulses that are imported

My faulty "glance-reading" of that last sentence led to my brain coming up with "compared to eating a vegan with a pulse" ...

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I don't think anyone has calculated these things to the fullest extent. Cars are generally recycled pretty well but if calculating the manufacture you would have to look at the source of all alloys, plastics, electronics and battery minerals - not just from their production but also transportation and purification and the provenance of the machinery used to extract and purify as well as the sources of energy used all the way back. Inded a purist might argue that you should also look at the work-forces and their lifestyles and how they would compare with work here or alternate jobs.

The same would apply to discussions of diet down to the nit-pick of types of pulses: fresh airfreighted, fresh overland or dried or canned or frozen. We can grow an awful lot of pulses here. Does the person on their organic diet just eat meat or do they avoid dying by eating veggies and fruit too? Do those other components get imported? Presumably there's no point in organic meat and non-organic veggies - how well is imported stuff controlled (let's face it bribery is rife). You can take the argument further with land clearance, land area needed for different farming methods and animal welfare. Undoubtedly you can grow more veggie protein on productive land than you can raise meat but that situation may well change on cold hilly terrain where the local sheep live - although again one could argue that man's ingenuity can always find a way of mechanising access to such slopes and perhaps grow monkey puzzles for their nuts (a particular interest of mine) or bilberries or blackcurrants.

I remain very cynical of most of the schemes to reduce carbon footprints where folk think they'r still entitled to their long-haul flight that burns more carbon than their gass guzzler does in a year

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
While I'm on a roll with this - in any closed ecosystem you have to maintain balance. If you take the globe as the ecosystem then you can;t keep taking food off the land without putting back nutrients. Your organic food dungs all over it which si good but you then remove the animal for slaughter. The only way to maintain balance is to replace that animal with human excrement and minced up grannies. Obvisouly to maintain your organic status there can be no medication or chemotherapy for anyone, you only use biodegradable nappies and sanitary products, shampoos, soaps, makeup and so on otherwise your careful lifestyle is just shifting the problem elsewhere in geography and time.

I wonder how many folk feeling warm and cuddly from their electric car lifestyle stop to recharge and buy a coffee or meal servied on plastic. Since I'm frugal i carry a thermos and take my own snacks - not for the environmental reason but just ;cos I'm cheap.

• Funny
Reactions: anon37485 and m3gt2

roadcred

Aug 23, 2019
UK
I bought my Tesla cos its a fast car - not for environmental reasons. I will not take climate change seriously until
1. Fireworks are banned.
2. Xmas light decorations are banned
3. The red arrows and other ceremonial fly pasts are banned.
4. Bonfires and open fires everywhere are banned.
5. 7 day shopping is banned
6. Buses stop running with no or just a few passengers are banned.
7. TV channels are reduced to a maximum of 2.
etc etc

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Presumably there's no point in organic meat and non-organic veggies -

Actually the discussion was slightly different and deliberately comparing Apples-with-Oranges :

Is a well-heeled UK punter who [is able to / chooses to] buys locally sourced Meat which has not consumed anything with high air miles ("Organic" chosen as a means of limiting those inputs, but Organic not a requirement) doing a good enough job, compared to a less well off Vegan where a comparable part of their diet has to be imported (i.e. cannot easily/adequately be grown in the UK)

stop to recharge and buy a coffee or meal servied on plastic

I take a reusable Costa / Starbucks / Whatever cup in the car.

I figure I cannot do anything about the plastic wrapping packaging (the person on the checkout isn't equipped to deal with me making a fuss) and so I just wait patiently until the Vendors change their packaging. But, my view: they must have known about the problem before us lot, and if so why have they not yet solved it? even if they only found out "yesterday" then they should have already fixed the problem by "today". There are alternatives available ... even just stopping using black, non-recyclable, plastic food trays would help, but they haven't even done that yet

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I figure I cannot do anything about the plastic wrapping packaging (the person on the checkout isn't equipped to deal with me making a fuss) and so I just wait patiently until the Vendors change their packaging. But, my view: they must have known about the problem before us lot, and if so why have they not yet solved it? even if they only found out "yesterday" then they should have already fixed the problem by "today". There are alternatives available ... even just stopping using black, non-recyclable, plastic food trays would help, but they haven't even done that yet

You could choose not to buy it or make your statement by unwrappig everything you can, putting it into your own carriers and dumping the plastic in the supermarket bins - the cost of all the extra waste will get to them soon enough.

But, yes, there is a lot of nonsense just targetting cups and straws and then landfilling disposable nappies, postng stuff in plastic wrap and so forth. It's just lip-service for headlines at the mo'
Oh, and planting trees UK - usually on easy access land that could be used for food production and avoid flying/trucking stuff in. And only growing so-called native species instead of fruit and nut trees and usable timber. What is native? Go back far enough and it's tree ferns and cycads....

Even better - never buy a coffe out and those co's will go under thus saving lots of energy, transport and barristas commuting. You can be noble and use that overpriced coffee money to buy carbon offset...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC